Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Other than Ryan Seacrest or Ty Pennington, both Georgia natives mind you, I don't understand your reasoning. Zac Brown is a country singer who has lived in Georgia his entire life. The kids are definitely not entertainers. What do you make of that? They're not real people?

By the way, I posted Jason Aldean and Billy Currington, both of which have obvious southern accents, as does one of the politicians.

Here's Alex Kendrick, Atlanta area native who moved to Albany, Georgia in southwest Georgia. This is a typical southern accent, typical to what you hear in Dexter, MO

Alex Kendrick on "Courageous" - YouTube
Do you really, honestly believe that anyone that aspires to be a professional singer does not take singing lessons?
Do you know what professional level voice lessons entail?
Do you not think that the major labels dont groom the people they are going to sign to appeal to a wider audience?
Because if you dont think thats true, then I have some lovely beachfront property to sell you.
But I dont think you are really that naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:32 PM

BTW, this is what Dexter, MO sounds like.

Narvel Felts Interview on The Joe Beavers Ozark Talent Showcase on 92.3 KSAR - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Good ole Narvel Felts! Love his song Memphis to Malden. Haven't heard it in awhile.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Do you really, honestly believe that anyone that aspires to be a professional singer does not take singing lessons?
Do you know what professional level voice lessons entail?
Do you not think that the major labels dont groom the people they are going to sign to appeal to a wider audience?
Because if you dont think thats true, then I have some lovely beachfront property to sell you.
But I dont think you are really that naive.
Some do take voice lessons, but Ryan Seacrest never did. We're close to the same age, and I remember him on Star 94 when he was only like 17 or 18 years of age. Star 94 is a Top-40 format station in Atlanta. He sounds pretty much the same way today that he sounded then. Thus, I really doubt he had lessons. Seacrest grew up in Dunwoody, Georgia. I'm telling you that it is not uncommon for many young adults and youth in the region to have either a light southern accent or none at all.

Ty Pennington may have had lessons, but who knows.

Zac Brown hasn't had lessons. The guy worked small clubs for many, many years. He sounds much the same as he always has. He sounds like he has a light southern accent.

Jason Aldean and Billy Currington have obvious southern accents, typical to their areas of the state.

Alex Kendrick is a director of Christian films, based out of his home church, Sherwood Baptist, in Albany, Georgia. Kendrick grew up in Atlanta suburb, Smyrna, I believe. He's been instrumental in the production of the films "Fly Wheel", "Facing the Giants", "Fireproof", and "Courageous". He hasn't had voice lessons. He has a typical southern accent of modern times.

Most people in the Atlanta area have southern accents, but I'd say only around sixty percent of the population. Amongst the youth, only around forty to fifty percent do, and most have a light accent. I don't celebrate this, but it is reality. However, if you leave the metro Atlanta core, you do hear obvious southern accents even in the youth, much typical to the Dexter, MO clip.

That said, most of the accents you hear aren't the strong drawl that was stereotypical of the region some fifty years ago. The strong drawl only seems to be typical in a high percentage in older adults (over 50).

Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Good ole Narvel Felts! Love his song Memphis to Malden. Haven't heard it in awhile.
My mama dated Narvel before she went to college at Memphis State.
Bernie and Fisk arent very far apart.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Some do take voice lessons, but Ryan Seacrest never did. We're close to the same age, and I remember him on Star 94 when he was only like 17 or 18 years of age. Star 94 is a Top-40 format station in Atlanta. He sounds pretty much the same way today that he sounded then. Thus, I really doubt he had lessons. Seacrest grew up in Dunwoody, Georgia. I'm telling you that it is not uncommon for many young adults and youth in the region to have either a light southern accent or none at all.

Ty Pennington may have had lessons, but who knows.

Zac Brown hasn't had lessons. The guy worked small clubs for many, many years. He sounds much the same as he always has. He sounds like he has a light southern accent.

Jason Aldean and Billy Currington have obvious southern accents, typical to their areas of the state.

Alex Kendrick is a director of Christian films, based out of his home church, Sherwood Baptist, in Albany, Georgia. Kendrick grew up in Atlanta suburb, Smyrna, I believe. He's been instrumental in the production of the films "Fly Wheel", "Facing the Giants", "Fireproof", and "Courageous". He hasn't had voice lessons. He has a typical southern accent of modern times.

Most people in the Atlanta area have southern accents, but I'd say only around sixty percent of the population. Amongst the youth, only around forty to fifty percent do, and most have a light accent. I don't celebrate this, but it is reality. However, if you leave the metro Atlanta core, you do hear obvious southern accents even in the youth, much typical to the Dexter, MO clip.

That said, most of the accents you hear aren't the strong drawl that was stereotypical of the region some fifty years ago. The strong drawl only seems to be typical in a high percentage in older adults (over 50).
You know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the stars that you claim havent had any kind of formal training whatsoever how, exactly?
I'm sorry, but that is simply NOT true.
To say otherwise is being disingenuous, or worse.
Please dont be that guy.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Quote:
My mama dated Narvel before she went to college at Memphis State.
Bernie and Fisk arent very far apart.
Dang! Could have been famous

Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Dang! Could have been famous
I know?
She wanted to get the hell out of Fisk, lol

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
You know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the stars that you claim havent had any kind of formal training whatsoever how, exactly?
I'm sorry, but that is simply NOT true.
To say otherwise is being disingenuous, or worse.
Please dont be that guy.
So those boys, who look like they're about fourteen or fifteen years of age are being disingenuous? Ryan Seacrest at one time was their age growing up in the same region. If those boys are for real, who is to say that Seacrest is not and that he hasn't had "formal training".

Listen. I gave you numerous examples. I can find plenty more. It backs up what I hear on a fairly regular basis.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
So those boys, who look like they're about fourteen or fifteen years of age are being disingenuous? Ryan Seacrest at one time was their age growing up in the same region. If those boys are for real, who is to say that Seacrest is not and that he hasn't had "formal training".

Listen. I gave you numerous examples. I can find plenty more. It backs up what I hear on a fairly regular basis.
I wasn't referring to anyone in the videos being disingenuous, and I believe you know that.
I was referring to you.
I made reference to the youtube accent tag vids, looks like you ignored it.
Look what I found;

Accent Tag: Atlanta Accent - YouTube

Accent Challenge: Atlanta Edition - YouTube
This gal is cute, lol

The Accent Tag: Georgia Style - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.