Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
It now has mostly a Kentucky feel to it overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Gotcha.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
I could buy that...especially around Jeffersonville. One of the shocking things I noticed was that Colonel Sanders was from Henryville, Indiana, right on Louisville's doorstep...he didn't really have a southern accent at all. Today, southern accents are a bit more noticeable...however, once you get about 30-50 miles north of the Ohio River I notice the accents and southern influence growing much less prominent. The southern half of Indiana has always been a cultural transition zone at the minimum, however.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I could buy that...especially around Jeffersonville. One of the shocking things I noticed was that Colonel Sanders was from Henryville, Indiana, right on Louisville's doorstep...he didn't really have a southern accent at all. Today, southern accents are a bit more noticeable...however, once you get about 30-50 miles north of the Ohio River I notice the accents and southern influence growing much less prominent. The southern half of Indiana has always been a cultural transition zone at the minimum, however.
I lived in Jville for about 9 months, it felt just like the rest of the Louisville area.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Obviously, Zac Brown has a southern accent. That's not been my point. My point is that like most southerners, he doesn't have a heavy drawl, something that is more common in today's time, and that his voice isn't much more southern than some of the Missouri videos posted.

Jason Aldean and Billy Currington do have stronger southern speech, so I don't get your point. An accent is not the words one uses, rather it relates to the tone, vowels are a distant second.
Okay, well it sounded to me like they all had mild to moderate southern influenced speech. They're also all from Georgia, which from what I understand has some unique features in their accent (along with South Carolina.)

In the Missouri farm video, by contrast, they all sounded like they were from the St. Louis area, including the son that people thought sounded more southern. Kind of like one-third southern, one-third nasal, and one-third unique to the area.

Quote:
If they do, it's very, very mild. Please point out where they have "southern features"? It's hard to discern much of anything southern about their speech.
The way the first guy says "coverage" at the end, along with some other words with short "e" vowels and a fair amount of making "eye" sound like "ah." It's not a lot, but there's still some evidence of it.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
The Entire north is Shifting a few Centimeters southwest every year, so the Entire North is becoming more southern

Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Gotcha.
Ya, honorable mention would also include: Scott county, Jennings county, Jefferson county, Switzerland county, Harrison county, Washington county, Crawford county, Orange county, and Jackson county. All of those places I would consider to be very much similar to Kentucky in overall culture. These places do have quite a bit of underlying Appalachian influences as well due to past migration patterns related to manufacturing and industrial employment.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I lived in Jville for about 9 months, it felt just like the rest of the Louisville area.
I lived in Clark county, IN for nearly 2 years. That was more than enough for me.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I lived in Clark county, IN for nearly 2 years. That was more than enough for me.
You and me both, I was more than glad to get on the other side of the Ohio.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Some do take voice lessons, but Ryan Seacrest never did. We're close to the same age, and I remember him on Star 94 when he was only like 17 or 18 years of age. Star 94 is a Top-40 format station in Atlanta. He sounds pretty much the same way today that he sounded then. Thus, I really doubt he had lessons. Seacrest grew up in Dunwoody, Georgia. I'm telling you that it is not uncommon for many young adults and youth in the region to have either a light southern accent or none at all.

Ty Pennington may have had lessons, but who knows.

Zac Brown hasn't had lessons. The guy worked small clubs for many, many years. He sounds much the same as he always has. He sounds like he has a light southern accent.

Jason Aldean and Billy Currington have obvious southern accents, typical to their areas of the state.

Alex Kendrick is a director of Christian films, based out of his home church, Sherwood Baptist, in Albany, Georgia. Kendrick grew up in Atlanta suburb, Smyrna, I believe. He's been instrumental in the production of the films "Fly Wheel", "Facing the Giants", "Fireproof", and "Courageous". He hasn't had voice lessons. He has a typical southern accent of modern times.

Most people in the Atlanta area have southern accents, but I'd say only around sixty percent of the population. Amongst the youth, only around forty to fifty percent do, and most have a light accent. I don't celebrate this, but it is reality. However, if you leave the metro Atlanta core, you do hear obvious southern accents even in the youth, much typical to the Dexter, MO clip.

That said, most of the accents you hear aren't the strong drawl that was stereotypical of the region some fifty years ago. The strong drawl only seems to be typical in a high percentage in older adults (over 50).
Thank you for pointing out what I have observed in my lifetime, grew up 50 miles southwest of Atlanta in Meriwether County, very much a strong southern accent in most everyone there. A difference in speech patterns from more "educated" types vs. blue collar, but both still southern.

But my kids that have grown up in Cobb County, Georgia and Collin County ,Texas have very slight southern accents.... if any at all. Ty Pennington graduated from Sprayberry HS in Marietta, the HS my kids would have attended had we not moved to Texas. I remember him as the handyman/carpenter on Trading Spaces long before he became better known on Extreme Home Makeover on ABC. Would a low budget cable show really spend that much money on voice lessons for the carpenter? He sounded then just like he does now. I would say he has not had voice lessons. I would also say his accent is typical of younger people from Cobb County today.

Julia Roberts is from an acting family but grew up in the Atlanta suburb of Smyrna, so she grew up with understanding accents and diction as a performer I am sure. I actually found her southern accent in her first big role, Steel Magnolias, to be somewhat affected and not as good a southern accent as some of the other "non-southern" stars of the movie.

Holly Hunter is from the Atlanta suburb of Conyers, GA and does have more of a southern accent, as does Alan Jackson from Newnan, GA. The suburbs to the south of Atlanta have attracted less northern transplants, so those burbs tend to sound more southern than the northern burbs.

Great post starsandstripes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.