Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times

Advertisements

The other thing I dont get on some forums people complain that northerners come in to "change their area". I never get that attitude. How ridiculous. Maybe in some very rural areas, yes I could see people getting annoyed that "city folk" are moving in.

IMO, its another form of judgmental behavior. Most educated people move to an area and say, it is what it is. We dont move in sporting Rainbow flags or Tibetan prayer flags, hanging them on our home to act like freaks. Yet on some southern forums I get the sense everyone from the north is lumped as non-conformist. Bizarre, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Houston and Atlanta posters are the WORST when it comes to this, which is odd, because they are/were two of the fastest growing and most popular cities in the country in the past 2 decades! Of ALL the places where you don't need to be defensive, and could brag about how great you supposedly were and KNEW you were right because so many other people love where you live......I see the defensiveness factor from these people.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I've been "burnt-out" on my area for awhile now. It will be time to move soon..Anyway I stay off the AZ threads because I am probably "biased" right now...Don't want to list my gripes about the area. I know that quite a few people enjoy living here and I wish them "well" and continued happiness! Same goes for people who are considering moving here. I wish them "the best" too! I hope this area "fits them" and makes them happy too...I'm too tired to "fight" or gripe!.. Spend my days trying to figure out where to move next..And I know I'll miss some things about this area when I move away. But that's just the way it goes with any move. Maybe I'll come back and visit this area down the road when I'm not so "burnt-out." But right now I know I need a "fresh start" and a change of scenery.
I think people WILL get angry with you if you leave a place AND burn bridges. For instance, I've seen people sign onto this forum, place their FIRST post and thread, and just TRASH a place and tell everyone who reads it how terrible it is and warns any newcommers to never consider the place -- and I think the residents in this case have a right to be upset. That's a bit over the top!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
west336...I agree with what you wrote. I try not to "burn bridges" when it comes to anything in life. (Jobs or moves or friendships or former spouses or in-laws etc.)..I try to put my feelings "in perspective." And work-through grudges and negative feelings (etc.) before too long...Anyway I don't want to go online and "smear" where I live. It's okay. I've had some good times here in the past...Neighborhoods and areas change through the years. Or we change and need a new environment to fit the "new us." Right?...Anyway I try to avoid heated debates and "fights" of any kind right now. Want peace and calm most of all!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Well, all above is true, but stating facts like if your heat bills are too high (TVA pays their Ops. Manager 2M per year and their winter bills have skyrocketed because " poor TVA " doesnt make enough profit in summer). They also had a very bad mudslide which destroyed peoples homes and there is a class action lawsuit now. Also, that things economically arent perfect in this area, are basic facts.

I would think anyone debating moving to east Tennessee should be made aware utility bills are now high in winter. Its a fact, yet people were attacking me. Saying to get a wood burning stove.lol.

I dont "smear" but many get their gizzards in an uproar if someone doesnt act like certain states are "peaches and cream". It's a form of immature denial imo.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
This is something I've found interesting about CD. Those posting "reactive" rather than "informative" posts seem to go on and on and on and never let go about their position or subject. I've posted just a few negative comments about specific areas based on my personal experiences, and have gotten flamed by the "reactors". How can someone disagree with someone else's personal experience? That's just illogical.

I think that some people who read something negative about their place of choice feel personally attacked. They feel that they have to respond agressively rather than by providing alternative information.

Isn't that why CD introduced the "most informative poster" contests? To encourage informative rather than reactive posts!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The other thing I dont get on some forums people complain that northerners come in to "change their area". I never get that attitude. How ridiculous. Maybe in some very rural areas, yes I could see people getting annoyed that "city folk" are moving in.

IMO, its another form of judgmental behavior. Most educated people move to an area and say, it is what it is. We dont move in sporting Rainbow flags or Tibetan prayer flags, hanging them on our home to act like freaks. Yet on some southern forums I get the sense everyone from the north is lumped as non-conformist. Bizarre, really.
Sooooo? What is wrong with judgemental behavior? You use that phrase as -- IMHO -- with a certain confidence such a thing is "bad".

If "judgemental behavior" did not exist? Then, hell, a criminal justice system could not exist either; as such is dependent upon "judgement".

Heck yes, I am "judgemental". And "biased" to boot. It -- in essence -- means a person prefers one thing over another. As do most people prefer one thing over another...even the self-absorbed "tolerant" bunch.

Anyway, maybe you are not one of those types who move to the South with a supercilious attitude. However, it is so common among many northern/west coast migrants as to make the stereotype a truism (just as most stereotypes contain an element of truth to one degree or another).

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-09-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think people WILL get angry with you if you leave a place AND burn bridges. For instance, I've seen people sign onto this forum, place their FIRST post and thread, and just TRASH a place and tell everyone who reads it how terrible it is and warns any newcommers to never consider the place -- and I think the residents in this case have a right to be upset. That's a bit over the top!
There's a few of those who pop up on just about every forum here. They'll bring their one man/woman jihad against said city from the local/state forum into the General City/City vs. City threads, until their posts go too far over-the-top into some cartoonish vendetta that they end up getting banned after repeating the same whiny complaints ad nauseum.

Sometimes people have legitimate criticisms of a place that might be helpful to those trying to relocate. Though most of the time people just complain and whine about things that are either not true or things that are so well-known shouldn't be a surprise for anyone. Often times people will take every negative stereotype about a place exaggerate it to such a level of hyperbole that their posts become almost parodies of themselves.

On the other hand you have the City vs. City superbooster/city defenders--who will show up almost immediately after one makes a comment that could be even deemed remotely negative about their hometown. Often with their home city as part of their screename. Though all it takes it one comment they deem offensive and like the bat signal, they'll be showing up to defend the honor of their fair city.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-09-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
This is an interesting topic. I have been so intrigued by how many people out here in California don't just hint at but bluntly say they would never leave this place, they would die first. And maybe it's like that on the east coast where I am from but I don't see it because I'm used to everything. I have been trying to get at why it is this way and I am starting to see some of the things they see but it's still interesting because everybody will have their own reasons. At times; however, they can be a little defensive here in L.A., feeling threatened by NYC and even SF which can be obnoxious.
It's the weather. Angelinos don't shovel snow. Why should they move?

How long have you been in LA? No one who is a native of LA feels threatened by NYC. They don't CARE about NYC or SF. If they/we (native) get defensive it's because some New Yorker is yapping about how much better things are in New York. Angelinos don't want to hear about how it's done in the Bronx.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM

171 posts, read 325,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
This is something I've found interesting about CD. Those posting "reactive" rather than "informative" posts seem to go on and on and on and never let go about their position or subject. I've posted just a few negative comments about specific areas based on my personal experiences, and have gotten flamed by the "reactors". How can someone disagree with someone else's personal experience? That's just illogical.

I think that some people who read something negative about their place of choice feel personally attacked. They feel that they have to respond agressively rather than by providing alternative information.

Isn't that why CD introduced the "most informative poster" contests? To encourage informative rather than reactive posts!

It is one thing for someone to make an "informative" post about his/her personal experiences in another city. It is quite a different animal for posters to generalize an entire city or metro based on their personal experiences, and sometimes it can get downright nasty. I've seen this happen quite often here on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.