Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Perhaps Wilmington NC, as it has a UNC campus and is very close to SC and the Atlantic Ocean.

In SC, these are big maybes, but Clemson and Conway may work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Wilmington NC, as it has a UNC campus and is very close to SC and the Atlantic Ocean.

In SC, these are big maybes, but Clemson and Conway may work.
Clemson? Maybe, but it won't offer as much as the midsized cities she's looking at. Conway? Not at all. Nice town, but not intellectual or "granola."

Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Obviously, a place that has what Ithaca has -- A college.

It is true that the "Ivy League of the South" is in big cities, like Rice and Vanderbilt and Tulane and Duke, so there aren't any Ithacas or Hanovers or Princetons.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Obviously, a place that has what Ithaca has -- A college.

It is true that the "Ivy League of the South" is in big cities, like Rice and Vanderbilt and Tulane and Duke, so there aren't any Ithacas or Hanovers or Princetons.
Actually, Ithaca has 2 4 year colleges and a community college in a nearby town. So, it does seem like a tough thing to find, given Ithaca's size too.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Great. Another one of those, "My northern town isn't hacking it anymore. So I want to move South but I still expect everyone to think like me" threads.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
What boggles me is these people will only consider Asheville (and maybe Athens) because they hatehatehate the rest of us southerners. Or consider us beneath contempt.

I feel for the native Ashvillians that are being squeezed out. I've provided refuge to a couple of them here on the more tolerant side of the mountain.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
What boggles me is these people will only consider Asheville (and maybe Athens) because they hatehatehate the rest of us southerners. Or consider us beneath contempt.

I feel for the native Ashvillians that are being squeezed out. I've provided refuge to a couple of them here on the more tolerant side of the mountain.
Exactly. They flee their overtaxed northern states with the decaying infrastructure and declining industrial base, make their way south where taxes remain reasonable and economic growth continues, and then want to turn their new homes into clones of the places they just fled. I mean, as a transplant myself, I'm amazed at the number of people who flee places such as California because of the declining quality of life and then start complaining before the moving van is even unloaded.

Seriously. One woman actually was complaining about how uncivil society had gotten in Massachusetts one minute, and then started complaining about how the kids would address her as "Ma'am" down here. When a neighbor's kid addressed her as, "Ma'am," this woman said, "Please don't call me that."

The kid looked confused for a moment until the mother spoke up. "I appreciate what you're trying to say, but please don't undo all my hard work," was all she said. That, in a nutshell, is what southerners have to encounter when people move down here, trying to remake their new cities. Small wonder southerners grow resentful of them.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm amazed at the number of people who flee places such as California because of the declining quality of life and then start complaining before the moving van is even unloaded.
You're not describing me here. I loved Atlanta the day I got there...the winding streets, the tall pines, the brick homes, the crazy mix of southernerns and transplants, and local people being un-PC enough to tell you what MARTA also stands for the first week you get there...Atlanta could be pretty irreverent and laugh at itself. That worked real well with me. And, apart from a minority of mint julep on the veranda aristocracy types, most others were worried about the next time they were hitting the beach in Florida or getting a good airfare to the Northeast for a holiday weekend.

And, thank God, there were very few granola enclaves in metro Atlanta. What I saw of Athens, GA did not say granola to me, but conventional college town with a Greek system.

I told the OP to head for Sarasota, enjoy the beach, and forget looking for hippy-dippy in the South!

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-25-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Actually, the OP is fine with Ithaca outside of winter and probably more important, her family. So, I don't think it is a thing of Ithaca not hacking it or trying to change a Southern community.

I still say Wilmington NC though.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I still say Wilmington NC though.
It's a perfectly fine city and even underrated in some ways, but I don't think you're going to get that whole early 30's single post-grad crowd there, at least in significant numbers. If she wants a Wilmington-type city, Charleston would be a better choice as it has more colleges and universities and is about twice as large, plus it would be closer to her family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.