Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's a perfectly fine city and even underrated in some ways, but I don't think you're going to get that whole early 30's single post-grad crowd there, at least in significant numbers. If she wants a Wilmington-type city, Charleston would be a better choice as it has more colleges and universities and is about twice as large, plus it would be closer to her family.
Great points and I wonder where in SC did her family move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM

12 posts, read 31,920 times
Whoa, talk about making generalizations! cpg35223 and creeksitter, all I said was I liked the area of upstate ny but would like to find something like it that is warmer and closer to family. I never said anything negative about the south or southerners. I've been visiting my grandparents there every summer since I was a little girl and most of my cousins were born in south carolina. We even have a few Clemson grads in our family. I'm perfectly fine with the south and with embracing different cultures.

I understand I'm looking to move from "my northern town" but it has nothing to do with "overtaxed northern states with the decaying infrastructure and declining industrial base". I believe in being close to family. I've spent the last 13 years of my life moving all over the place getting an education so that I could have the career I wanted. I think I deserve to finally be in at least the same region of the country as my family. I also have learned that I am actually allergic to the cold, which is only added incentive to move closer to my family. I know it sounds crazy, but you can look it up - cold urticaria.

I am not fleeing because of a declining quality of life - merely to enjoy loved ones and warmer weather. Now if you would stop generalizing, you could try actually helping me find a place where I may fit in well. I just want a place where there are lots of outdoorsy things to do, healthy food options with lots of fresh ingredients, other people my age and a decent enough sized area where I can get a job. Maybe then I'll be able to find somewhere that I would fit in perfectly, without having to "push out" the endemic population.

Ckthankgod, the majority of my family actually does live near Clemson, so I am very familiar with the area. Unfortunately, I don't think it's quite big enough to support my profession (it's pretty specialized). I love the lake there though and have spent many fun summers enjoying the water. Greenville/spartanburg were considerations, but I haven't had much luck with my job search there. Part of the reason I was also considering Sarasota is because I have some family near there as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM

110 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm not doubting your story, Cope, but it is so ironic for me to read this about Athens as I moved there in 1974 when the vibe was old south and all about the Greek scene. I had left the hippie dippie environs of UT and it was a huge culture shock. I understand Athens started getting cool right afer I moved away in 1977. And now UT is all about the preppies. How things change.
Ha yeah, it's definitely changed a lot. I've talked to a lot of people who went to school there in the 70s and they told me that there were no bars downtown at all, just a few juke joints by the oconee river. Most of the party scene was greek, down on Milledge Avenue. The frat/sorority scene is still pretty big, but only 20-25% of the student body is greek, and of course there's a lot more ways to party now.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
The Station was the biggest bar scene during my day. And there was a bar kinda near Broad and Oconee that specialized in wet t-shirt contests but that wasn't my thing.

Jaqua, sorry to have been so harsh. I didn't realize the Asheville choice was job related. You are very lucky because so many flock there with no job prospects. I am sensitive because I get the feeling Ashevillians look down their nose at the rest of us and thought you were buying into that mindset.

Last edited by creeksitter; 04-25-2012 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: .

Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 PM

12 posts, read 31,920 times
No worries creeksitter. I understand your concerns. I'm just trying to do my fair share of research to figure out where I'll be happy before making a big move. I have no intentions of leading the northerners invasion of the south Unfortunately, Asheville doesn't seem to be much of an option either as far as jobs go. So far I'm still left with the original three locations I mentioned - charleston, sarasota and nashville. (I don't mean it in a bad way! Those are actually pretty good options.) Athens may become an option in the future, but no job availability at this moment.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM

37,879 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua22 View Post
No worries creeksitter. I understand your concerns. I'm just trying to do my fair share of research to figure out where I'll be happy before making a big move. I have no intentions of leading the northerners invasion of the south Unfortunately, Asheville doesn't seem to be much of an option either as far as jobs go. So far I'm still left with the original three locations I mentioned - charleston, sarasota and nashville. (I don't mean it in a bad way! Those are actually pretty good options.) Athens may become an option in the future, but no job availability at this moment.
What exactly is your field?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM

296 posts, read 644,496 times
I agree with the Asheville, NC posts.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,775 times
Nashville. end of thread.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:43 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
If you like oceans, then Charleston. Sarasota is way too far from your family or any kind of topography. Unless you just have to have the year round heat. If you prefer mountains, see if Chattanooga is still an option. Because it is biggest, Nashville will have the most smart people with all its universities. East nashville is the alternative 'hood and Shelby bottoms is a great nature park nearby.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua22 View Post
I grew up in New Paltz, NY and lived for a year in Ithaca, NY. I absolutely love the nature and scenery of upstate NY, but can't handle the winters. If I could have Ithaca as it is in the summer year round, this would be perfect - gorgeous weather, tons of parks and waterfalls, great food with many fresh options, cute downtown area, festivals and lots of grad students and post-docs. I love to hike, take photos, basically just enjoy being outside. While I like the areas that are typically "hippie towns", I'm far from what I would consider a hippie. I can't stand smokers, tye-dye or birkenstocks, though the last two I'm perfectly fine with others liking. I mostly just like to live a healthy lifestyle and appreciate nature. I also would like to be around many intellectual people, preferably some single 30-somethings. I love the water so anything with water is an added bonus.

Most of my family now lives in South Carolina and I'm looking for a job somewhere closer to them (and with warmer weather). I wanted some advice on cities that would be closest to what I'm looking for. Areas I'm considering right now (based on known job availability) are: Charleston, SC, Sarasota, FL, Nashville, TN. Many have suggested the Raleigh/Durham area, but unfortunately my job market is pretty maxed out there. Chattanooga, TN was another suggestion that I will be looking into for job possibilities.

Any input on the areas I'm considering? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!
You would probably really enjoy the East Nashville area in Nashville. That's one area you simply must check out. It's a funky, eclectic part of the city with numerous different historic neighborhoods with mostly local shops, bars and restaurants scattered throughout.

East Nashville is filled with a whole range of people attracted to the area: musicians and artists, nature loving folks, intellectuals, yuppies, hipsters, etc. and has its own home-grown natural stores like The Turnip Truck. It also has its own festivals like the Tomato Arts Festival and the Hot Chicken Festival. Neighborhoods like Five Points, East End, Edgefield and Lockeland Springs have become very popular in East Nashville and the area gets great national press. If you're interested in mass transit, there will also be a stop in Five Points on Nashville's future East West Connector which will be bus rapid transit service (BRT) through the heart of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.