Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Tulsa's a smale scale Portland?
Yes 12 10.00%
No 108 90.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

Does Tulsa have as many aggressive armies of walking dead homeless as Portland? If it does, I am sorry for Tulsa. I like Portland, but so do too many transients, drifters and other assorted creeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In Tulsa's defense, they actually have a surprisingly decent shopping and dining scene for their size. The low COL there gives residents more disposable income plus there is a lot of oil money.

What Tulsa lacks is the huge hipster scene that Portland is known for. If you are single and in your twenties, Portland by far is the ONLY choice. If you have a family though, Tulsa is a much better environment in my opinion.
Tulsa has that stuff if you want it it's just not a dominant culture. If you have a family in Portland you just need to move to the western suburbs and you have Tulsa with Fur trees.

It's just silly to try and compare a midwestern/southern/prairie town like Tulsa to Seattle or Portland. For it's part of the world Tulsa is a pretty nice town. But the PNW is just spectacular and has great summers to enjoy the spectacularity.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
After having spent time in both of the cities (Tulsa and Portland) and have become familiar them as well. I've started to notice some growing similarities between the two. Now put aside the location difference gap between them, and which just seems to be the hippest (as of present).

Key Similarities:

* Both are River Cities
* Both have districts named The Pearl
* Are in States (OK & OR) with near similar populations and neighbor states with more than twice its pop. as well (TX & WA,CA)
* Similar cityscapes
* Large Foodtruck scene
* Portland has bridge with traffic on the top and rail system below, while Tulsa is in the process of creating a near similar one called the Multimodal Bridge
* Tulsa is home to two Billionaires, Portland one
* Both are in upper corners of their states, and have been ranked amongst the greenest cities in the Country
* Increasingly similar shopping venues
* And Tulsa even wants to Host the 2024 Summer Olympics (???)

So what do you think does it look like Tulsa secretly modeling itself after Portland or are these similarities purely superficial.
I don't think so. I think Tulsa is far different from Portland. Tulsa has a different culture from Portland. Portland is more liberal than Tulsa. In Tulsa, you have Oral Roberts University, a university affiliated with many Christian denominations, mainly Charismatic denominations. It is called "Buckle of the Bible Belt". There are alot of southern, Native American, Midwestern, and southwestern influences in Tulsa. Portland is far different. Portland is more liberal, more West Coast influences. In Portland, soccer is quickly becoming popular. In Tulsa, I would imagine American football is much more popular.

Last edited by green_mariner; 11-06-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Tulsa has that stuff if you want it it's just not a dominant culture. If you have a family in Portland you just need to move to the western suburbs and you have Tulsa with Fur trees.

It's just silly to try and compare a midwestern/southern/prairie town like Tulsa to Seattle or Portland. For it's part of the world Tulsa is a pretty nice town. But the PNW is just spectacular and has great summers to enjoy the spectacularity.
Agreed. I am not trying to compare Tulsa to the PNW at all because the PNW is far superior to anything in Oklahoma in every way. I am just saying Tulsa does have some strengths depending on your demographic.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I am just going to ask out of curiosity. Out of the many posters here, I know of only three who actually live in Portland and maybe one who lives in Oregon and I do not see any who live in Tulsa (could have missed someone though sorry if I did). So I am wondering, and this isn't a challenge or anything but as I said, curiosity only, where does your information on either or both cities come from?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am just going to ask out of curiosity. Out of the many posters here, I know of only three who actually live in Portland and maybe one who lives in Oregon and I do not see any who live in Tulsa (could have missed someone though sorry if I did). So I am wondering, and this isn't a challenge or anything but as I said, curiosity only, where does your information on either or both cities come from?
I can post regarding Tulsa because one of my family members lives there- so I do know the city and its surrounding environs fairly well.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Tulsa is a nice town, but it's like the total opposite of Portland.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
Tulsa sounds nicer. Guess it depends on the person though, I'm a "20-something" and I don't care about "vibrant downtowns", diversity or walkability etc. My fiancee and I are going to be starting a family soon nor am I a "liberal" so obviously Portland wouldn't be for me.

The two cities are nothing alike though.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
If anything, I'm a little more curious about Tulsa after this thread. Maybe some day I'll visit Tulsa, and check out the Art Deco downtown and the rest of town and find it nice and be able to compare it to Portland(or the lack of any comparison to Portland, perhaps).

What type of food is Tulsa most famous for? Are the best restaurants steakhouses or are there other regional styles or cuisine that are popular in the area?

Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If anything, I'm a little more curious about Tulsa after this thread. Maybe some day I'll visit Tulsa, and check out the Art Deco downtown and the rest of town and find it nice and be able to compare it to Portland(or the lack of any comparison to Portland, perhaps).

What type of food is Tulsa most famous for? Are the best restaurants steakhouses or are there other regional styles or cuisine that are popular in the area?

Elote | Cafe and Catering
This is a cool place. They have a small Mexican style wrestling ring in the place and Live music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.