Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
by that definition almost all Blacks are Anglo-Americans because their world view and language is in line with every other multi-generational American
Well, in New Mexico, Blacks are considered Anglo. So there you go.

Anglo =/= White

Caveat: The more Black there are in New Mexico (we are up to about 3% in Albuquerque) the more Hispanics are differentiating them from Whites, thus putting Anglo in more of a racial, rather than cultural, pigeonhole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Good point, geographically, it's like the states themselves as a whole act like giant counties connected into one giant metro area.
Agreed, Polo. All of the New England states are small with the exception of Maine and Maine is not exactly a big state either. This allows them to do away with county government and the state itself becomes sort of a combined "super-county/state government".

Btw, I personally think county government can be a good thing. Here in the New York & New Jersey suburbs they provide a more regional approach. I would not want New York State to do away with county governments like Connecticut for instance.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Agreed, Polo. All of the New England states are small with the exception of Maine and Maine is not exactly a big state either. This allows them to do away with county government and the state itself becomes sort of a combined "super-county/state government".

Btw, I personally think county government can be a good thing. Here in the New York & New Jersey suburbs they provide a more regional approach. I would not want New York State to do away with county governments like Connecticut for instance.
Meh for Long Island the townships are big enough that counties seem repetitive. Long Island has a lot of layers of government compared to Massachusetts, it seems a bit inefficient.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had to laugh at this post in a good way. Its basically how I see it also. The Christmans decorations on palm trees and 80 degrees, just a few weeks before Christmas does seem strange. Although I'm really loving this warm sunny Arizona weather this time of year. I do miss New England's towns something that doesn't exist in Arizona. They have names for different towns but one community just blends right into Phoenix. No little town centers here, just urban sprawl for some 70 miles or so. Yes once your use to actuall towns its next to impossible to get use to areas like Phoenix. Endless strip malls, fwys and traffic.

The food and the local restaurants in New England. You can't beat them. New England is not all chains and fast food joints. Much of America is just that. Its regional and locally owned restaurants in NE. With genuine honest to goodness New England American food. It a very homey, comforting and genuine part of the USA. Other than the cold winters and the horrible COL. Its really a wonderful place to be from. Not all New Englanders but I think many, really can't live elsewhere. Many try though.
The restaurant thing may have something to with age. The more newly built up areas may have more chain restaurants and less local restaurants. But I am sure you can find local restaurants in all 50 states, you just have to go to some of the older parts of town.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh for Long Island the townships are big enough that counties seem repetitive. Long Island has a lot of layers of government compared to Massachusetts, it seems a bit inefficient.
Well, if Long Island was an independent state (about the size of Rhode Island) than county government would not be necessary. Instead we are just one part of a larger state so county government helps provide a regional approach and connects the various independent towns.

In addition to state and local governments, many counties have their own park system. In my area, if it was not for counties like Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Union, Essex and Bergen; many of today's parks might have been developed instead:
Suffolk County Government > Departments > Parks

Some counties have farmland protection programs:
Suffolk County Government > Departments > Planning > Divisions > Open Space and Farmland > Farmland Preservation

And that is just two examples of my county, counties can provide many services especially the counties out West and down South.

Finally, it simply boggles my mind that there is no one in charge and you have no leader to represent a regional place like Fairfield County for example.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well, if Long Island was an independent state (about the size of Rhode Island) than county government would not be necessary. Instead we are just one part of a larger state so county government helps provide a regional approach and connects the various independent towns.

In addition to state and local governments, many counties have their own park system. In my area, if it was not for counties like Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Union, Essex and Bergen; many of today's parks might have been developed instead:
Suffolk County Government > Departments > Parks

Some counties have farmland protection programs:
Suffolk County Government > Departments > Planning > Divisions > Open Space and Farmland > Farmland Preservation

And that is just two examples of my county, counties can provide many services especially the counties out West and down South.

Finally, it simply boggles my mind that there is no one in charge and you have no leader to represent a regional place like Fairfield County for example.
There is no need if everywhere is incorporated, it is redundant
Towns provide School, FD, PD, DPW, Ect.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Southerners harbor just as many nasty stereotypes about people in the North as the other way around.
They also can be just as ignorant about the North.
Spent some time down South, and I agree that Southerners are more ignorant about the North than vice versa. I think it has most to do with more Northerners having actually travelled to the South to escape the cold as opposed to Southerners who generally stay put as they have less reason to go north for vacation or retirement.

There are some sheltered people in N.E. especially in the more affluent suburbs, but I have a feeling they would be in for just as much of a "shock" in the backwoods of Maine (or even innercity Boston) as if they went to North Carolina.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There are some sheltered people in N.E. especially in the more affluent suburbs, but I have a feeling they would be in for just as much of a "shock" in Central Maine (or even innercity Boston) as if they went to North Carolina.
Maine is a weird feeling isolated place, more so than Vermont or New Hampshire. I won't call it a shock though.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maine is a weird feeling isolated place, more so than Vermont or New Hampshire. I won't call it a shock though.
Actually I think Vermont feels more different from the rest of N.E. (along with W. Mass.), but maybe that's just me. Nothing shocks me though, except for maybe the Natick Mall with the amount of yuppies and everything.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had to laugh at this post in a good way. Its basically how I see it also. The Christmans decorations on palm trees and 80 degrees, just a few weeks before Christmas does seem strange. Although I'm really loving this warm sunny Arizona weather this time of year. I do miss New England's towns something that doesn't exist in Arizona. They have names for different towns but one community just blends right into Phoenix. No little town centers here, just urban sprawl for some 70 miles or so. Yes once your use to actuall towns its next to impossible to get use to areas like Phoenix. Endless strip malls, fwys and traffic.

The food and the local restaurants in New England. You can't beat them. New England is not all chains and fast food joints. Much of America is just that. Its regional and locally owned restaurants in NE. With genuine honest to goodness New England American food. It a very homey, comforting and genuine part of the USA. Other than the cold winters and the horrible COL. Its really a wonderful place to be from. Not all New Englanders but I think many, really can't live elsewhere. Many try though.
I agree with you about the food. Nothing makes me more depressed when I'm traveling out of NE than going into "town" on a six lane commercial strip and only seeing Red Robin, Fridays, McDonalds, etc...

Although I think the OP and many others on this board need to realize that there are many differences within New England. My current city of Cambridge, MA offers a different lifestyle than my hometown in the Merrimack Valley.

As for the OP assumption that Hawaii is similar to NE, not even close. I lived there for a short while and my biggest obstacle was the inability of the Islanders, and many of the West Coast transplants, to understand my sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.