Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 10:32 AM

357 posts, read 131,251 times

Advertisements

I think there's a better chance of LA losing its #2 metro position in the next 50 years than LA city passing NYC for #1 City limits population.

Especially with how generous metro definitions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 09:53 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I don't think Los Angeles will surpass New York in regards to the actual city's population. I do think however that in around 20-30 years, the metro area's population will surpass New York's.
There's a near 7 million person gap between Los Angeles and NYC metro areas.

Metro Los Angeles is confined to two counties.

If Metro Los Angeles did surpass Metro NYC, then Los Angeles city would pretty much have to also surpass NYC in population, unless you think places like Anaheim or Long Beach are going to add millions of residents.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:14 PM

159 posts, read 125,383 times
Actually if you look at it from different perspective New York, Boston , Philadelphia, and Baltimore and Washington D.C. are one big metropolitan area (they are connected to each other) and that combined is way bigger than Los Angeles. But most of Southern California is developed from Santa Barbara to San Diego so you could compare that..

Old 03-03-2024, 06:04 PM

494 posts, read 246,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
I think there's a better chance of LA losing its #2 metro position in the next 50 years than LA city passing NYC for #1 City limits population.

Especially with how generous metro definitions are.
The only city I can see pass LA would be Houston. So a top 5 could look like:

NYC
Houston
LA
Chicago
Phoenix

Top 5 metro:

NYC
Dallas
Houston
LA
Chicago.

Yep, Texas cities surge in 50 years and who knows when they will pass NYC?

Old 03-03-2024, 07:26 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
There's a near 7 million person gap between Los Angeles and NYC metro areas.

Metro Los Angeles is confined to two counties.

If Metro Los Angeles did surpass Metro NYC, then Los Angeles city would pretty much have to also surpass NYC in population, unless you think places like Anaheim or Long Beach are going to add millions of residents.
There needs to be caveats here.

LA and the Inland Empire are functionally one MSA as are their Urban Areas. The only reason they are separate MSA's is due to San Bernardino county being 20k sq/mi in area which distorts commuting patterns. Greater LA's 18.3 million people is denser than NYC's Tri-state area of 21.9 million, so on a regional level they aren't that far off.

Will LA proper ever pass NYC? Doubtful, it's not zoned for it nor is it land constrained the way NYC is.

Will the greater LA region pass NYC's? More than likely in our lifetime.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
There needs to be caveats here.

LA and the Inland Empire are functionally one MSA as are their Urban Areas. The only reason they are separate MSA's is due to San Bernardino county being 20k sq/mi in area which distorts commuting patterns. Greater LA's 18.3 million people is denser than NYC's Tri-state area of 21.9 million, so on a regional level they aren't that far off.

Will LA proper ever pass NYC? Doubtful, it's not zoned for it nor is it land constrained the way NYC is.

Will the greater LA region pass NYC's? More than likely in our lifetime.
>>Will the greater LA region pass NYC's? More than likely in our lifetime.

Absolutely not.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:01 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ya. I find it funny that NYC Metro is sometimes considered part of 3 different states (NJ,NY, and CT). I don't know if that's true, but I read somwhere that some stastics include those areas. In LA, we keep it all in one state and almost half in one county.

NY Jersey is less than two miles across the Hudson River from Manhattan with the distance being even closer between the Staten Island borough and NJ. Greenwich, CT is just 35 miles from Grand Central Station in midtown. Large numbers of workers in NYC live in NJ and CT commuting into the city. Portions of NJ and CT are most definitely part of the NYC Metro region.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:15 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
>>Will the greater LA region pass NYC's? More than likely in our lifetime.

Absolutely not.
I'm 31 years old lmao. Absolutely likely.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:43 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyinmyeyes34 View Post
Actually if you look at it from different perspective New York, Boston , Philadelphia, and Baltimore and Washington D.C. are one big metropolitan area (they are connected to each other) and that combined is way bigger than Los Angeles. But most of Southern California is developed from Santa Barbara to San Diego so you could compare that..
Camp Pendleton, unless it is closed one day, prevents that merger from occurring.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:42 AM

494 posts, read 246,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
Sorry, but the way I'm reading this post is someone who has quite a few airs about Los Angeles.

I can't answer if it will ever happen, but definitely not anytime soon. New York City will be the biggest city for the forseeable future.

I really dislike how everyone has this superiorty attitude about their city vs other cities.... It's really childish.
That's interesting coming from a Bostonian. I don't think Jesse's post was childish at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.