Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 09:20 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I'm 31 years old lmao. Absolutely likely.
It sounds good but there is about a 5 Million person gap between the two Metros.

Barring some cataclysmic event (heaven forbid) LA Metro will never come close, let alone surpass NYC Metro.

Just looking at these census numbers from 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020 pretty much supports my position.
No place is going to grow at that rapid of a clip in comparison to the other Metro especially when we are talking about the two largest Metros in the country. It just doesn't work like that.

If you were to say maybe LA Metro gains a million or two million people in NY Metro over the next 10-20 years even that would be a huge stretch. My point being is that it will almost be impossible for LA Metro to ever overtake NY Metro, basically ever. The gap is HUGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:34 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
It sounds good but there is about a 5 Million person gap between the two Metros.

Barring some cataclysmic event (heaven forbid) LA Metro will never come close, let alone surpass NYC Metro.

Just looking at these census numbers from 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020 pretty much supports my position.
No place is going to grow at that rapid of a clip in comparison to the other Metro especially when we are talking about the two largest Metros in the country. It just doesn't work like that.

If you were to say maybe LA Metro gains a million or two million people in NY Metro over the next 10-20 years even that would be a huge stretch. My point being is that it will almost be impossible for LA Metro to ever overtake NY Metro, basically ever. The gap is HUGE.
This! Thank you!

Also - NYC proper actually grew faster than LA proper according to the census, has better infrastructure, and despite some chaos more effective governance and leadership/philanthropic community. All these things point to continued grow for a mature NYC metro region - one of the world's metropolises.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:38 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-ny-population

NY's population is currently below 8.1 million in 2024 according to world estimates, it ain't gaining no million people in 6 years lmao. The US Census Bureau's most recent estimate in 2022 was just over 8.3 million, NY not gaining 800,000 people in 6 years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Obviously LA is unlikely to ever reach NY population, though...
the census dramatically undercounted NYC's population for the 2020 census. this was a big point of contention because undercounting also equals less federal dollars.

in addition, latest figures show a rebound in population and revenues for the city. also, visitors are coming back to NYC at a fast clip.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:00 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
No.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:38 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
the census dramatically undercounted NYC's population for the 2020 census. this was a big point of contention because undercounting also equals less federal dollars.

in addition, latest figures show a rebound in population and revenues for the city. also, visitors are coming back to NYC at a fast clip.
The census was off by 500,000 people on the 2020 NYC estimate compared to the actual census results. Why do people even take these estimates seriously? The city just recorded it's all time low in apartment vacancy at 1.4%. It is strange for a city to shrink at a time when the city is at an all time low in available units to rent. This tells me demand is very high and nothing is available. Doesn't look like massive flight to me. Really makes no sense.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:53 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
The census was off by 500,000 people on the 2020 NYC estimate compared to the actual census results. Why do people even take these estimates seriously? The city just recorded it's all time low in apartment vacancy at 1.4%. It is strange for a city to shrink at a time when the city is at an all time low in available units to rent. This tells me demand is very high and nothing is available. Doesn't look like massive flight to me. Really makes no sense.
I do think the Census is off, but apartment vacancies being low doesn't necessarily mean the city didn't lose population. It could be families of 3-5 people moving to cheaper pastures while they're being backfilled by single people with money. Occupancy remains high, but the number of people per unit declines. It would be interesting to see some statistics on that.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:51 PM

577 posts, read 563,631 times
New York metro is 19.5 million and LA metro (including Riverside suburbs) is about 17.5 million.

It doesn't seem impossible that LA region could catch NY, although at the moment I think California's population is actually dropping, presumably due to home prices.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:27 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
New York metro is 19.5 million and LA metro (including Riverside suburbs) is about 17.5 million.

It doesn't seem impossible that LA region could catch NY, although at the moment I think California's population is actually dropping, presumably due to home prices.
The LA metro is ~13M. You can’t just go adding places to a MSA just because you want to. That’s now how it work lol.

If you want to add Riverside, then it becomes a CSA vs CSA comparison, and the NYC CSA is at over 23M.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The LA metro is ~13M. You can’t just go adding places to a MSA just because you want to. That’s now how it work lol.

If you want to add Riverside, then it becomes a CSA vs CSA comparison, and the NYC CSA is at over 23M.
Lol.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:07 PM

357 posts, read 132,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post

I'm really surprised the government hasn't found a way to join Philly and New York into a combined area.
30M has a nice ring to it. Give us the biggest metro in the Americas again.

New York lacks the massive poverty found in most big megacities.

People talk about the wealth gap in the US but some of these megacities have some crazy poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.