Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 07:32 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The LA metro is ~13M. You can’t just go adding places to a MSA just because you want to. That’s now how it work lol.

If you want to add Riverside, then it becomes a CSA vs CSA comparison, and the NYC CSA is at over 23M.
LA feels like a metro far larger than 13 Million, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 07:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LA feels like a metro far larger than 13 Million, IMO.
Does one really know what it "feels" like to be in a metro far larger than 13 million?

Old 04-09-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Does one really know what it "feels" like to be in a metro far larger than 13 million?
You take a metro like Chicago, which feels like a noticeabley larger metro than, let's say, DC. Then you take NYC, which feels like a noticeabley larger metro than Chicago. Then you Compare LA to both. To me, LA feels like a Metro closer in size to the NYC metro than it does to Chicagoland.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You take a metro like Chicago, which feels like a noticeabley larger metro than, let's say, DC. Then you take NYC, which feels like a noticeabley larger metro than Chicago. Then you Compare LA to both. To me, LA feels like a Metro closer in size to the NYC metro than it does to Chicagoland.
I don't think that's how you quantify a total number though. I've traveled extensively. What we call a "metro area" in America, is like an entire region of a small country. Istanbul is way smaller than LA but has 15 million people in the same radius that LA does with like 1/5th the land area. Sure LA feels grand and large, but calculating a total between 13-18 million isn't that easy IMO.

LA is easily larger than everywhere but NYC, but it's really about what constitutes "LA".

Trying to find the most population possible that I can here without going over water and centering this radius around Covina at 65km/40 miles, I can find the region maxing out at 15.2 million people for what I'd call "LA", this includes all of LA County, OC, and the Riverside, and San Bernadino cities without extending past Moreno Valley.

https://www.tomforth.co.uk/circlepopulations/

Old 04-09-2024, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's how you quantify a total number though. I've traveled extensively. What we call a "metro area" in America, is like an entire region of a small country. Istanbul is way smaller than LA but has 15 million people in the same radius that LA does with like 1/5th the land area. Sure LA feels grand and large, but calculating a total between 13-18 million isn't that easy IMO.

LA is easily larger than everywhere but NYC, but it's really about what constitutes "LA".

Trying to find the most population possible that I can here without going over water and centering this radius around Covina at 65km/40 miles, I can find the region maxing out at 15.2 million people for what I'd call "LA", this includes all of LA County, OC, and the Riverside, and San Bernadino cities without extending past Moreno Valley.

I'm not trying to qualify a total number. Charlotte, where I live now, feel like a far smaller metro than Atlanta even without knowing the actual population figures. As you said, LA feels like a much larger metro than anywhere except NYC.

I'll see what I can get for both NYC using your link. I think some of what constitutes NYC CSA is a bit ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:16 PM

577 posts, read 563,631 times
Even though Riverside is a separate metro according to the government's definition, it's obvious in looking at
google maps that in reality it's an extension of L.A.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:31 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
New York metro is 19.5 million and LA metro (including Riverside suburbs) is about 17.5 million.

It doesn't seem impossible that LA region could catch NY, although at the moment I think California's population is actually dropping, presumably due to home prices.
California’s population may be dropping, but that can’t be the case in every town in that state.

As for can LA Metro reach and/or surpass NYC Metro, yes it can but I don’t think it will happen.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:43 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Even though Riverside is a separate metro according to the government's definition, it's obvious in looking at
google maps that in reality it's an extension of L.A.
If that’s the case, Milwaukee should be a part of Chicagoland.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:00 AM

357 posts, read 132,683 times
Quote:

Yeah it is very hard to put a number to feel.
LA is the most consistently dense Urban Area in the US but compared to other mega cities around the world the urban density isn't all that.

US metropolitan areas are expensive.
I know LA CSA contains a lot of mountains and dead space but it is a whopping 34,000 square miles. Mostly due to how big counties like SB County is. The MSA cuts it down to a fraction. LA county alone is near megacity status and about 5000sq miles. That is small in US terms but still huge in international terms.

The Kanto Region for example is also mountainous and contains two metro areas like LA, but it has about 45M people in 12k sq miles. Carving out the massive areas like I did when I narrowed LA just to LA county Tokyo metro shrinks to a little under 40k but in only 5000 sq miles.

US regions are built very differently from other international regions and within the US it varies quite a bit also. Eastern and Western urban development is hard to compare because the eastern ones have higher density peaks but lower density lows, while places like LA, las Vegas and Phoenix have consistently average density over almost the entire urban area.

Because of all that it is really hard comparing LA's metro feel to New York or even Chicago.
The Texas cities might be a better comparison as to how much bigger LA feels over them. Houston especially has that consistent UA like LA. I would say LA feels at least twice as big as Houston. But that would just put it at where it's at right now at about 14M people. NY on the otherhand feels more than 3 times as big as Houston

Old 04-10-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to qualify a total number. Charlotte, where I live now, feel like a far smaller metro than Atlanta even without knowing the actual population figures. As you said, LA feels like a much larger metro than anywhere except NYC.

I'll see what I can get for both NYC using your link. I think some of what constitutes NYC CSA is a bit ridiculous.
You're the one that mentioned 13 million for LA was too small. Not saying you're not correct there, but just saying is it that simple to quantify a number. Especially when you start take examples in this country and comparing to others.

NYC is so much more linear in spread of it's population that at a 65km circle the most I could fit in was about 18 million, but that's pretty accurate to it's MSA population.

Now take the same radius and go down to Mexico city and you get 23+ million at it's peak no matter where you place the circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.