Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think they are still the top two hotspots, but other cities are also gaining popularity.
I know. I said SLOWLY due to the others gaining more and more popularity among blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I know. I said SLOWLY due to the others gaining more and more popularity among blacks.
I get what you're saying, but there's a certain critical mass in terms of culture that ATL and DC have that other cities won't really be able to replicate, mainly due to current social conditions. None of the other cities will ever have HBCU's as prestigious as Howard and the AUC, produce leaders like MLK, establish notable urban neighborhoods like U Street and Sweet Auburn, etc. Ultimately it's a good thing that this is the case as those things were borne out of necessity in a racially oppressive and discriminatory society, but they still hold a certain unique appeal. It's the combination of those cultural hallmarks along with large scale upward mobility for Blacks that make them unique.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM

85 posts, read 160,818 times
Personally, if there is a mecca, I'd tier it as such Tier 1 Atlanta DC NYC Tier 2 Chicago Houston DFW Tier 3 Other Mid-Large Southern Metros Tier 4 Other Great migration cities in the Midwest and Northeast Tier 5 Anything in the West

Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Not happening.

Houston will not be a black mecca, its gaining too much all around.

It will also never be as big for the black gays.

The black guys here are more masculine.

Even the gay blacks in dallas are more fru fru than Houston.

Houston has a huge black gay population but they rarely go all out like they do in Atl.

even for big events in Houston like Splash, you will find more gay guys from DFW and other parts of Texas than from Houston.

Houston gay blk guys are getting more fashionable though.

More masculine?? since when

Have u not been to club 20 20 majority of them live in Houston. There is no grown and sexy crowd nor a older crowd its just Tinie bopers everywhere in Houston and there not all that attractive either and yes they are trying to step there game up in the fashion area.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I would love to come down but Houston will host it again and I will be there. lol. IDK why people think that Atlanta is the sole city where black entertainment is alive and that's so beneath me because we all know the truth. I went to Houston and was in total shock because I couldn't believe that it was like Atlanta as far as blacks because I was thinking it was going to be Mexicans after Mexicans after Mexicans. I'm not exaggerating. Blacks were everywhere. The Grand Luxe Cafe was about 80% black that Saturday night I had gone. People put Atlanta too high for black culture and forget that there are way more places that have top of the line black culture. People tend to forget that Houston is home to 2 of the largest HBCUs in the nation. I really think AllStar will most definitely put Houston's secret out as a great city that has great black culture. I'm just saying. No I'm not in love with Houston; I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

Here's another site for AllStar, HtownLove...(black events)
:: All Star 2013 Events & Parties :: inDmix.com ::

Looking at this website, Houston is on par with Atlanta.

I agree with yall that Houston doesn't touch Atlanta's gay black nightlife since that's what Atlanta is known for. It's self-explanatory.

Thats one weekend what about the rest of the weekends out of the year.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 PM

That's an example, but if you go on that website regularly, you can see that Houston does well in AA nightlife.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Personally, if there is a mecca, I'd tier it as such Tier 1 Atlanta DC NYC Tier 2 Chicago Houston DFW Tier 3 Other Mid-Large Southern Metros Tier 4 Other Great migration cities in the Midwest and Northeast Tier 5 Anything in the West
Places like New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland, Philadelphia and St Louis should be in Tier two, maybe a few should be even tier one.

Cities like Savannah, Charleston, Miami, Cleveland, etc should be tier three with done of these maybe strong enough for tier two.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Census releases this week gives more fuel to listing Detroit as a strong Tier two city.

The release lists Detroit as the metro with the fourth largest number of black owned businesses.
Seems like it is up there in black presense to me.

The areas that ranked higher were:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Houston

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Census releases this week gives more fuel to listing Detroit as a strong Tier two city.

The release lists Detroit as the metro with the fourth largest number of black owned businesses.
Seems like it is up there in black presense to me.

The areas that ranked higher were:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Houston
That just doesn't sound right. Where is Atlanta? There's no way I would think Atlanta is lower than 4. I would have guessed it in the top two.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Surprised to see Houston ranked so high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.