Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

People do not like NYers because we are the best. We dress with style, and we come from a big city. It is true that Southerners do not know how to drive in the snow for anything. Also they walk too slow It is ok to be friendly, but if I get a haircut do not start to make conversations because I am only there for the haircut. Now if I am at a bar it is ok if you would talk to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
People do not like NYers because we are the best. We dress with style, and we come from a big city. It is true that Southerners do not know how to drive in the snow for anything. Also they walk too slow It is ok to be friendly, but if I get a haircut do not start to make conversations because I am only there for the haircut. Now if I am at a bar it is ok if you would talk to me.
.............uh...............

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Quote:
I think this post is a joke, but unfortunately, the few NYers who do embody this stereotype make it bad for the many who don't.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
And when you go to a bar down South, you tell any and all that new yorkers are the best, dress with style, come from a big city, tell the locals we don't know how to drive in snow, and walk too slow. Possibly this is what Southerners don't like about new yorkers.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM

370 posts, read 624,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What did they want to do in SA that they couldn't do when they live the "stereotypical" suburban life?
This is exactly the point I was trying to make with them. Somehow they are superior than anyone from San Antonio because they are from Brooklyn and there is just "so much to do in NYC" but they live a stereotypical suburban life. When I called them on it, they had nothing to say. The thing is just because you live next to culture (opera, symphony, museums, etc) doesn't automatically make you cultured. I am a native New Yorker but I hate these obnoxious New Yorkers who think NYC is the center of the world. They don't even realize that other cities have opera houses and ballet companies and art museums. And these ignorant New Yorkers are usually the ones who have never even set foot at one of these cultural events. Same thing when it comes to haute cuisine. They will talk about all the upscale restaurants NYC has when most times 1. They've never even dined in one and 2. They have no clue that haute cuisine is available in US cities other than NYC.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
[quote=photostoresheila;28273464]"The thing is just because you live next to culture (opera, symphony, museums, etc) doesn't automatically make you cultured. /quote]

Reminds me of the movie, Pulp Fiction

"The Wolf: You see that, young lady? Respect. Respect for one's elders gives character.
Raquel: I have character.
The Wolf: Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character."
Pulp Fiction

Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,274 times
My only real disdain towards New Yorkers is 2 parts.. I think some ignorant snobs there believe I live in a farm because I am from Kansas.. In fact, I work a regular office job and live in a metro area of over 3 million (Kansas City metro area) 2.. Is just related to sports. New York Yankee fans act like they are entitled.. But this isnt a regional thing for me to hate them.. I dont like Dallas Cowboy fans or LA Laker fans either

Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 PM

778 posts, read 998,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
this is exactly the point i was trying to make with them. Somehow they are superior than anyone from san antonio because they are from brooklyn and there is just "so much to do in nyc" but they live a stereotypical suburban life. When i called them on it, they had nothing to say. The thing is just because you live next to culture (opera, symphony, museums, etc) doesn't automatically make you cultured. I am a native new yorker but i hate these obnoxious new yorkers who think nyc is the center of the world. They don't even realize that other cities have opera houses and ballet companies and art museums. And these ignorant new yorkers are usually the ones who have never even set foot at one of these cultural events. Same thing when it comes to haute cuisine. They will talk about all the upscale restaurants nyc has when most times 1. They've never even dined in one and 2. They have no clue that haute cuisine is available in us cities other than nyc.

+1

Its as if once they step foot within the city limit, automatic superiority! Its like charging up or getting life in a video game. "Im better because of things I dont use and proximity!"

I also love how people (most notably rappers) rep cities when they had nothing to do with its prominence.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM

Jay-Z is really the only success story IMO thats actually gone from rags to riches and given back to where hes from. Hes self-made.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM

Also, as someone from NY that absolutely despises this bull****

Can we all ****ing agree about this abomination?

Im Italian myself, raised a Yankee fan (couldnt care less now, I actually go for the Cubs) and its probably the dumbest and most annoying aspect of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.