Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:49 AM

91 posts, read 311,178 times

Advertisements

Birmingham Alabama. Once heralded worldwide as the "Pittsburgh of the South" due to the huge number of steel mills etc. It used to have a average income twice that of any other southern city. All the mills shut down in the late 70's and now its one giant ghetto that has the fourth highest murder rate in the country and only has a population of around 250,000. Everyone within a hundred miles used to go there to shop etc. Now we all avoid it as much as possible. Now it is more compared as "the Detroit of the South"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Could any establishment have fallen farther than Jamestown?
Perhaps the dead city of Sunbury...once GA's 2nd largest city and a contender for Savannah, it is now little more than a historical marker.

www.coastalgeorgia.com/index.php?page=destination&lID=16 (http://www.coastalgeorgia.com/index.php?page=destination&lID=16 - broken link)

Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillScoggin View Post
Birmingham Alabama. Once heralded worldwide as the "Pittsburgh of the South" due to the huge number of steel mills etc. It used to have a average income twice that of any other southern city. All the mills shut down in the late 70's and now its one giant ghetto that has the fourth highest murder rate in the country and only has a population of around 250,000. Everyone within a hundred miles used to go there to shop etc. Now we all avoid it as much as possible. Now it is more compared as "the Detroit of the South"
Up until the 1960's, Birmingham and Atlanta were fierce rivals.
I'll have to defend Birmingham, though. It has been making a comeback in the last couple of decades, and has some great neighborhoods on the south side ie Mountain Brook and Homewood.
The metro of B'ham is a little over 1.1 million, BTW.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillScoggin View Post
I think B'ham's downfall was during the Civil Rights movement. Same thing with Detroit. Alot of cities in the USA had riots (even places like San Francisco and Portland), but nothing like Detroit and Birmingham. Detroit had one of the most violent and deadly insurrections in 1967. Birmingham had the bombing of a church, the fire hoses and German shepherd fights combined with fight-happy police. Brimingham also had riots. Atlanta, even with the 1966 riot(not 1906 but 1966), Atlanta was relatively calm and had relatively progressive mayors who made an effort to work with people. Birmingham had a bad combination of regressive, Dixiecrat politics combined with being built on one industry. Look what happened. Atlanta has the busiest international airport in the world, it held the 1996 Summer Olympics, while B'ham nearly went broke and languished.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
Detroit

Old 11-16-2008, 03:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Galveston,Tx - Once considered the "New York of the South" before it was hit the hurricane.

Waco,Tx - Was considered the twin city of Dallas. The city was also known nationwide as top producer of cotton. The Cotton Palace attracted over 8 million people in 23 years. It was just starting to boom when it was hit by the tenth deadliest tornado in US history in the early 50's.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:23 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
Quote:
Its nosedived in population, but based on streetview, It still looks like its in great shape!
Yeah, Virginia City is still in good shape. Its only industry is really tourism.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Well there are some ghost towns that technically would qualify.

It seems quite a few posters use this thread to complain about cities they don't personally like.

I don't care for Houston but its thriving. It gained quite a few people from Katrina, and its population is expanding- one can't tell Houston from its suburbs.

Waco and Galveston have had tragedies but will continue to grow. Jukes you haven't been to Detroit.

Detroit is the clear winner here although Buffalo, Youngstown Ohio and Cleveland are up there.

Detroit and Buffalo lead in abandoned houses. Both have high crime, foolishly high real estate taxes and having talked to both tax assessment departments - its an odd coincidence that they both have an attitude -negative to people. Detroit can't be accessed by email and after waiting 22 min on hold i gave up. This doesn't mean I don't like those places - old buildings are great and its nice to observe what the US looked like years ago.

Objectively however if we are talking about the 20th century to now Detroit and Buffalo WIN or umm lose.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:09 PM

416 posts, read 712,574 times
I love these threads because you learn so many little facts that are so interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
When and how did the capital of Pennsylvania move from Philadelphia to Harrisburg? I would say that L'Enfant's city plan is an elaboration of Center City. There are similarities to both cities: Benjamin Franklin Parkway looks like the diagonal avenues that connect to traffic circles in Washington, the Schuylkill Expressway is like the George Washington Pkwy and Kelly Drive is like the Clara Barton Parkway.
FYI, the Capital moved in 1812. I don't know the reasons, but I imagine logistics were part of it, as the state's population began to move west.

The L'Enfant plan only extended as far as Florida Avenue, and included none of the expressways. The Ben Franklin Parkway was built in the early twentieth century as an imitation of the Champs-Elysees.

Certainly the Parkway and to a lesser extent DC's state-named avenues are anathema to walkers, in my opinion. They waste real estate, break up the grid, and generally stink. They create nice views, and if you're in a car and know the city they can speed your trip up, but I'd gladly throw them all out.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,407 times
i must add that newark nj is on its way back up. i can see it being a great city in the next 10 years.

Newark, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

check out the urban developments there is a lot a good stuff coming. i was just there this summer and realized that i had underestimated it for a long time. it was fun and it didnt look as bad as i thought (give or take some abandoned buildings which will be worked on) plus its in a great location to be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.