Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times

Advertisements

The northeast will not be gaining a lot of population and saying it is the best is very questionable. I doubt property values will substantially increase over the next ten years if at all. The infrastructure is getting old very tired in many places just like the population. Cold winters.Lots of generally disgruntled people. Many heading to a warmer climate. This probably can be said for many areas geographically in this country. Saying it is the best is regrettably not saying much at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The northeast will not be gaining a lot of population and saying it is the best is very questionable. I doubt property values will substantially increase over the next ten years if at all. The infrastructure is getting old very tired in many places just like the population. Cold winters.Lots of generally disgruntled people. Many heading to a warmer climate. This probably can be said for many areas geographically in this country. Saying it is the best is regrettably not saying much at this point.
Going to
Have to be more specific there.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I really respect the Northeast as a region. My wife is from there and I lived and worked there for five years before bolting. I prefer northern CA. Sure, there is much to like about that Northeast, but we left for a few reasons I'll share here.

1) The congestion and traffic was absolutely horrendous. Those commutes weren't made for human beings, but ROBOTS. I got tired of drivers who routinely cut people off, lay on their horns, yell out the window, throw the finger as a matter of course, ride bumpers, change lanes constantly in the highway parking lot, and just plain suck as drivers...and this was just the women.

2) Congestion, congestion, lines, lines, and more lines for every damn thing. You spend more time waiting, sitting, and commuting than living. I was not interested in wasting my life away sitting for two-four hours per day commuting to and from work. This is nonsense.

3) Sure, the education system is stellar, but what's with the strict class hierarchy? If a student gets into Brown, that's not as good as Yale. Depending on whom you ask, if you didn't get into Harvard, you aint worth sheet. How about turning down Harvard to go to Georgetown? Idiot. Went to Penn instead of Yale? Fool. Hey, you went to Vassar? Whasamatta, couldn't get into an Ivy? Some firms turn you down if you didn't go to Harvard or Yale. Boston University not good enough. Went to Boston College? You slacker. We didn't like the judgment system and deep, long-standing class hierarchy. It's rigid and applies to every aspect of life there, not just education.

4) Many of the cities in the Northeast are among the most segregated in the country, in terms of blacks and whites. The Northeast is a more advantageous place to be, if you're white. If you're white, you find yourself among like company as the head of every major corporation and positions of power in virtually every industry. You can go the wealthiest enclaves and everyone will look like you. Same is true of silicon valley. Given that the Northeast is the oldest, most established area of the country, I'm surprised it is not more advanced in this regard. It should be among the LEAST segregated, and blacks should be flourishing in the region in unparalleled fashion. Ignorance and racism persist in epic fashion in this region.

5) Sure, there are seasons. I frankly got tired of cold weather and snow. I didn't care for the humidity either. Combine the aggravation of the winter weather with the lousy commute and type-A personalities at work, and we're talking about a higher elevation of stress and a shortened lifespan. No, thank you.

6) Speaking of type-A personalities, the Northeast seems to be ground zero for them. In your face, know it all, abrasive, aggressive loud-mouths don't have a problem invading personal space, being antagonistic for no reason, and just plan asking to get their arses beaten. This is no way to live. Very difficult working in a place where these type of idiots dominate. Hard to drive to work, putting up with these people. I'm not interested in a region of the country where I have to gargle with rocks in my mouth every morning to prepare myself for the day.

7) The food is indeed great, but every region has great food if you have the capacity to expand your horizons and appreciate the differences.

8) Yes, there is great beauty in the scenery. But who has time to enjoy it? Waking up at some ungodly hour each morning, gargling with rocks in your mouth, then heading out for that ungodly long and aggravating commute while its still dark. This only to work long hours dodging type-a personalities so you can work like hell to meet aggressive deadlines. Only to head back home after another exhausting, aggravating commute back home. Five, sometimes six, days per week of this lifespan-shortening nonsense. When the weekend comes, you have some notion to drive to see some greenery or get to the beach. You have to sit in traffic to get there and back because everyone else has the same idea. While there, you're all packed in like sardines. No real tranquility of peace...or true enjoyment. By the time Monday comes around, you haven't even de-stressed from the time you got home on Friday night. Month after month, year after year of this crap take years of a person's life.

I could go on, but yes, it's a great region of the country. Just not for everyone.
I'm black and number 4 is just insanely over exaggerated. Wow.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:45 AM

25 posts, read 35,478 times
Default Sounds a bit too politically motivated to me.....

I read the Obama administration is trying to get people to flood this region for political reasons. This post sounds a bit too politically motivated to me, and suspicious.

I lived in these areas for awhile, and outside of a few nice things, the epidemic of Lyme Disease (which I got while only living in NH for 1 year!), the bugs, humidity, cold, the WEATHER......oh come on! Who are you kidding! The only thing this area does have going for it is the same thing that California doesn't have going for it.

Don't buy into this folks. If you live here, tell everyone it's awful, or all that you deem nice now will change for the worse. When places grow, everything gets expensive in order to stay nice......

Old 03-14-2014, 03:49 AM

25 posts, read 35,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I'm black and number 4 is just insanely over exaggerated. Wow.
Thank you for your honesty! Wouldn't be surprised if this OP was written by a politician, or someone working for their cause. It is meant to mislead and there is something very twisted about LYING to do this as well.

Last edited by Johnhills; 03-14-2014 at 04:37 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM

The only thing that kills the northeast are the winters, all though our winters are better then the Midwest. I have never witnessed below 0 degree weather in NYC in my entire life. Other then that the northeast is cool. Couldn't see myself living anywhere except for San Diego or Miami or maybe Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:42 PM

251 posts, read 307,864 times
Id probably agree.

Northeast and the entire West Coast from SoCal to PNW are the best. Northeast being first.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
I would not live in the Northeast, not even if you paid me 10 million dollars. Taxes in these Northeastern states are RIDICULOUS, especially property taxes.

People are for the most part very unfriendly, stuck up and pretentious, I remember first time I visited Boston and I have never seen so many nasty and rude people in one place. Here in Iowa, people are friendly, polite and kind to each other

Cost of living in the NE is insane! I can buy a nice home here in Iowa for under 150K. Even in some bigger Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, or Kansas City, you can find plenty of affordable homes under 200K

Gun laws in most NE states are RIDICULOUS!

Finally, the NE is full of Liberal pseudo-intelectuals, most are anti-gun, anti- America and anti-military. I would rather live here in Middle America where people are still patriotic, kind to each other and are not ashamed of being Americans.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:41 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I would not live in the Northeast, not even if you paid me 10 million dollars. Taxes in these Northeastern states are RIDICULOUS, especially property taxes.

People are for the most part very unfriendly, stuck up and pretentious, I remember first time I visited Boston and I have never seen so many nasty and rude people in one place. Here in Iowa, people are friendly, polite and kind to each other

Cost of living in the NE is insane! I can buy a nice home here in Iowa for under 150K. Even in some bigger Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, or Kansas City, you can find plenty of affordable homes under 200K

Finally, the NE is full of Liberal pseudo-intelectuals, most are anti-gun, anti- America and anti-military. I would rather live here in Middle America where people are still patriotic, kind to each other and are not ashamed of being Americans.
But you live there and YOU aren't kind. You just wrote a nasty, condescending post insulting a whole lot of good people who don't fit your biased imagination. You don't seem to be a very nice person at all.

If you're all so sweet and loving toward one another in Iowa, what do you need all the guns for?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

So tired of ignorant people who claim someone hates America because they don't think like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.