Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I would not live in the Northeast, not even if you paid me 10 million dollars. Taxes in these Northeastern states are RIDICULOUS, especially property taxes.

People are for the most part very unfriendly, stuck up and pretentious, I remember first time I visited Boston and I have never seen so many nasty and rude people in one place. Here in Iowa, people are friendly, polite and kind to each other

Cost of living in the NE is insane! I can buy a nice home here in Iowa for under 150K. Even in some bigger Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, or Kansas City, you can find plenty of affordable homes under 200K

Gun laws in most NE states are RIDICULOUS!

Finally, the NE is full of Liberal pseudo-intelectuals, most are anti-gun, anti- America and anti-military. I would rather live here in Middle America where people are still patriotic, kind to each other and are not ashamed of being Americans.
You buy into a whole lot of stereotypes in both regions you reference. I'm from the Midwest, and every time I've been to the Northeast, the people were every bit as friendly. Not to say that some New Yorkers can't think they're the absolute center of the universe because I've seen that too, but is that really any different than how you're acting now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
That's your opinion.

The northeast has no palm trees, warm weather all year or Spanish architecture.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
No region is "the best" region for everyone. Every region has it's positives and negatives and it's appeal to various people - which is why there are people living quite happily and successfully in every region.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're on City-data. People use stereotypes, generalizations and assumptions on the regular on these forums. Get used to it.

Again, Nep posted their opinion about something. If you don't like it, that's fine. But when we're talking about something that cannot really be quantified, arguing against them is a waste of time. If Nep were to say San Antonio has more diversity than say Chicago, then you could argue. You would have hard numbers to back up your claims. But we're talking about something that cannot be measured.

In my opinion, the state of Maine has more natural beauty than the Midwest. Feel free to take 2 or 3 posts about how I am "wrong" in stating such a thing.
Been to upper Michigan, which is beautiful. But I love the Maine coast. The thing that makes it top Michigan is simple, the Atlantic ocean. JMO.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 AM

451 posts, read 562,852 times
Is there anything better than these threads? I mean, it looks like the OP invested more than a couple of hours starting this thread with personal observations that arrive to the conclusion that the Northeast is, IN FACT, the greatest region in the US. And because he is a leading authority on "what is greater than the other", his unobjectionable conclusion applies to everyone no matter what their circumstances or what their opinions are on things.

I love these threads!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Is there anything better than these threads? I mean, it looks like the OP invested more than a couple of hours starting this thread with personal observations that arrive to the conclusion that the Northeast is, IN FACT, the greatest region in the US. And because he is a leading authority on "what is greater than the other", his unobjectionable conclusion applies to everyone no matter what their circumstances or what their opinions are on things.

I love these threads!
Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing. In my opinion, many of his observations are why I (and millions of other Americans) think the Northeast is the worst region.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:11 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I would not live in the Northeast, not even if you paid me 10 million dollars. Taxes in these Northeastern states are RIDICULOUS, especially property taxes.

People are for the most part very unfriendly, stuck up and pretentious, I remember first time I visited Boston and I have never seen so many nasty and rude people in one place. Here in Iowa, people are friendly, polite and kind to each other

Cost of living in the NE is insane! I can buy a nice home here in Iowa for under 150K. Even in some bigger Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, or Kansas City, you can find plenty of affordable homes under 200K

Gun laws in most NE states are RIDICULOUS!

Finally, the NE is full of Liberal pseudo-intelectuals, most are anti-gun, anti- America and anti-military. I would rather live here in Middle America where people are still patriotic, kind to each other and are not ashamed of being Americans.
You really are quite incorrect and misinformed, unless you are only referring to the Megalopolis, I-95 corridor from DC to Boston. There does exist a very large interior Northeast region with far lower population densities as well as wilderness areas. The prices for housing and overall costs are significantly less in some cases. Regarding property taxes, higher amounts are often in the large metro areas, Westchester County, NY is an example. NH has higher property taxes but does not have an income or sales tax. Property taxes in NH vary substantially on a town by town basis depending on equalized rates, total town property valuations, existing tax base, tax exempt businesses, lands that are in "current use" status, subject to property tax exemptions, etc.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No region is "the best" region for everyone. Every region has it's positives and negatives and it's appeal to various people - which is why there are people living quite happily and successfully in every region.
San Diego County is the best region for everyone.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
San Diego County is the best region for everyone.
Sure, if you like high cost of living, crowds, traffic and rude people. Quality of life to me is not having to deal with crime, crowds and traffic which I thankfully have here in Iowa. To each its own.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:27 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post

I love these threads!
/// Could not agree more!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing. In my opinion, many of his observations are why I (and millions of other Americans) think the Northeast is the worst region.

Grizzly Addams has "hit-the-nail-on-the-head!!..................However I hope and Pray that untold numbers of folks who read his post believe everything he has to say about the Northeast, and decide that that is the area that they should move to. We here in Montana really only need (7) words to describe where and why we live here:......."MONTANA truly is THE LAST BEST PLACE"!..............And we recently have "shut the Gate" on both ends of the State...........also,we have just, in recent months, reached a little over the (1) million mark for population......and that is enough. It's starting to get a little crowded, we are presently at 6.86 people per square mile and God forgive we if we ever get to 7.0 .....Have a Good-Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.