Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 04:36 AM

399 posts, read 820,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yes, I'm aware those names have British origin, but those places are almost all named after the people who settled/founded them. They weren't exactly named in honor of Britain or anything like that. So how much is that really even "British influenced"? Contrast that with New England, where names of some cities are legitimately named after British cities.

And also, I'm pretty sure a great deal of southerners would classify themselves as being merely "American" in ancestry. There's a Wikipedia article on this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ancestry
The article explicitly says this is commonly reported by whites from the deep south. Which makes sense. When's the last time you saw a white, native southerner flying a Union Jack flag on their truck or flagpole, and flaunting their British ancestry? I have family in the south, and odds are they're flying an American or Confederate flag, or "Don't Tread On Me". The south is one of the, if not the region in the country that appreciates being American, and American only the most. In other words, proudest of being American.
That's the thing with British influence and how invisible it is because that's the major contributor to American culture. By the 18th century and even before most Americans of British descent considered themselves American without any connection to Great Britain, especially people from the inland.

On the other hand, there's plenty of things where people note the Irish American or German American influence, even though those things have been made in America. For British American, it's hard to tell.

Can Washington State name be considered British influenced ? because that's an English name even though it's name after an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Washington spent the first 2/3rds of his life as a British subject fwiw.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:23 AM

492 posts, read 535,479 times
Except for the language and names of places, I honestly don't think that there is any British influence in America right now. I would consider them traces of the past than influence honestly. I have lived in Georgia for a while and I don't think I have ever thought about King George or England while saying Georgia. It's just a name with a past which is mostly irrelevant now. There are more English speakers in India than America, doesn't mean that UK has any influence in India in the current day. Bottom line it's more like vestiges of the past than current day influence..

Old 07-14-2020, 03:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Except for the language and names of places, I honestly don't think that there is any British influence in America right now. I would consider them traces of the past than influence honestly. I have lived in Georgia for a while and I don't think I have ever thought about King George or England while saying Georgia. It's just a name with a past which is mostly irrelevant now. There are more English speakers in India than America, doesn't mean that UK has any influence in India in the current day. Bottom line it's more like vestiges of the past than current day influence..
Agreed. For the most part, the modern UK is not particularly influential on the US.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
The two most popular sports in India are British sports.

Plus India is totally different. The US was entirely Anglo in like 1795 India was already Indian with a tiny British Ruling class. Culture had to permeate into Indian Society. America was quite literally British for a long time.

It’s not a vestige if Britain defines our Language, dominate religion, Literature, Food, Sport and Legal systems that’s like the whole thing. Even Musical styles orginal to America are blends of British and Afro-Caribbean music.

Last edited by btownboss4; 07-14-2020 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 09:10 AM

613 posts, read 327,522 times
There is more modern UK influence in the commonwealth nations including the one north of the border. But we do not lack it either.

Most popular sport is American Football which came from rugby. Even the other sport popularly called "football" around the world, we are tuning in to NBCSN on weekend mornings to watch the Premier League, and in NBC Sports coverage they show plenty of bars with enthusiastic Americans wearing their favorite team's kits cheering. Adele, One direction is loved in America, there is a separate BBC America channel, the Jaguars are owned by a Pakistani Britishman, bagpipes are a common feature among police forces, and in funerals. I am sure there are more. Remember this is modern UK influences. Ancient britain there are a lot more of course including the very language we speak in America.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:51 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Another little thing I found out is that there are at least two rivers in the US that follow the British word order of naming a river, with the word River first followed by the name: The River Styx near Akron, OH and the River Raisin near Monroe, MI. Though our Thames in CT is written the American way (as well as the one in Ontario).

Old 10-09-2020, 11:15 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Another little thing I found out is that there are at least two rivers in the US that follow the British word order of naming a river, with the word River first followed by the name: The River Styx near Akron, OH and the River Raisin near Monroe, MI. Though our Thames in CT is written the American way (as well as the one in Ontario).
There are also towns in New York named in a seeminy British fashion. Such as "Croton on Hudson".

Old 10-10-2020, 03:04 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Well, the typical home-cooked “American meal” is British-based, with a meat, starch (usually potatoes) and a side vegetable as staples. British-based ales are making a comeback, after Germanic lagers (weakened versions) were the go-to for decades. Baked beans, catsup, oatmeal and a whole lot of things we just take for granted growing up in America.
Entertainment-wise, not as much....though it does seem like we need our television and movie actors to sport British accents if the production wants to be taken seriously.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The two most popular sports in India are British sports.

Plus India is totally different. The US was entirely Anglo in like 1795 India was already Indian with a tiny British Ruling class. Culture had to permeate into Indian Society. America was quite literally British for a long time.

It’s not a vestige if Britain defines our Language, dominate religion, Literature, Food, Sport and Legal systems that’s like the whole thing. Even Musical styles orginal to America are blends of British and Afro-Caribbean music.
Err... in 1795, there was open debate about whether the national language should be German or English. My mother is a Daughter of the American Revolution. The family name is Fritzinger.

I live where the religious cult landed in 1620. All the towns are named after English towns. It has British roots but that was overwhelmed by massive waves of immigration. Here, it’s been dominated by Portuguese-Azores immigration and that’s being displaced by Hispanic immigrants. South of Boston is Irish white flight. My paternal grandparents were born in England but my father grew up in the melting pot. Polish. French Canadian. All of Europe immigrated for the economic opportunities.

The only influence I see is the endless fascination with the Royal family. And I’m a Liverpool fan. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.