Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm not starting a fight here, I was just making an observation. The big successfull cities south/west TEND to have room to grow (I KNOW not all of them do, hence Atlanta). The cities people bring up immediately upon talking about the Midwest's ills TEND to have been penned in for 50 years now. I'm just saying that they might have lost population, but they still pack more people per square mile than most of the growing areas. They're far from abandoned, they just "fluffed out" into their suburbs when conditions in the city went downhill. Hopefully these cities can continue to rebuild themselves and do well. I don't think it's bad that they're not shooting back up to where they were 50 years ago with 15,000 people per square mile. They just need to sustain where they are and make life better for those who are there at this time.
Of course we aren't fighting...it's not quite worth fighting over. It just gets old reading about the characteristics of "Sun Belt Cities" or "Rust Belt Cities" or "New England Cities" etc. as if they are all the same. People often point out and discuss the negative aspects associated with southern/western cities, when each city is actually unique with a set of it's very own positives and negatives.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Everything you said is an entirely acceptable opinion. Nothing wrong with prefering the North Country (Upper Midwest and Northern New England). To each his own and alot of people would agree with you!

But do you hate the Lower Midwest and Southern New England?
I listed why I didn't care for the Lower Midwest in my previous post, and Southern New England is a little too crowded overall.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The problem with this statement is that two people can have very different definitions of what comprises an important/intellectual conversation.

A conversation about how well the soybean crop is doing this year isn't necessarily any less "intellectual" than a conversation about the intricacies of the theory of evolution. I would much rather discuss something that is pertinent to my immediate community than some abstract idea that has little to no effect on my life.
I was referring to intellectual discussions that involve anything related to science, history, politics, etc. Yes, I know quite a bit about farm issues as well due to the fact that my relatives operate a ranch in rural northwest Kansas. It doesn't mean I really want to engage myself in a one-track discussion about the same subject all the time either. Many people in the Lower Midwest are very set in their ways, beliefs, and just do not travel very much. Political discussions are amusing because these people see very few shades of grey with any issue. It is either black/white or right/wrong.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Of course we aren't fighting...it's not quite worth fighting over. It just gets old reading about the characteristics of "Sun Belt Cities" or "Rust Belt Cities" or "New England Cities" etc. as if they are all the same. People often point out and discuss the negative aspects associated with southern/western cities, when each city is actually unique with a set of it's very own positives and negatives.

Also, heating costs tend to be a factor some don't consider. Here in New England some houses have up to four different sources of heat to supplement costs. You have the entire range between: propane, heating oil, kerosene, wood, electric, and solar. Natgas is only in the larger cities. Many people live out in the country so nearly everyone has a septic with leach field along with a drilled well.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,719 times
too cold

and

y'all talk funny, dontcha know?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,584 times
I like the midwest. Everyone is so nice. I am not a fan of the cold winters, however.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
I like the Midwest. I spent my summers as a kid in Indiana.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I like the Midwest. I spent my summers as a kid in Indiana.
You poor thing.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM

157 posts, read 397,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Why do so many people hate the Midwest and Rustbelt?
Because I lived there for 18 years. End of discussion (for me, at least.)

Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Just joining the discussion....I'm curious which states are we referring to when we say the midwest? I for one don't hate any state and think each US state is unique and can offer something for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.