Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 10:16 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times

Advertisements

Eerie PA
Weirdton WV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:55 AM

6,788 posts, read 4,230,123 times
You know what city gives off an eerie vibe? Chicago during a tornado warning for Cook county. The sirens.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:19 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
I visited St Louis years ago, and saw that there weren't only abandoned houses,
but entire abandoned neighborhoods. That was very strange.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:14 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Eerie or weird vibe? I know this is subjective, but I'm going to have to pick Central Texas as a whole, primarily Killeen, Austin, and Waco. Things that stick out to me were the Luby's massacre in Killeen in '91 (worst mass shooting at the time), the Austin yogurt shop murders of four teen girls in '91 (sadly still unsolved), the Branch Davidian Compound siege situation in Waco in '93, the 2009 and 2015 shootings at Fort Hood, the history of the Servant Girl Annihilator 1885 serial killer murders in Austin (arguably America's first serial killer) and the UT Tower shooting in Austin in '66 (worst mass shooting at the time), the 2015 shootout in Waco. Then you've got the cold cases in Killeen of missing or dead girls like Jenna Robbins, Danydia Thompson, and Elizabeth Campbell, the haunted bridge and cemetery in Maxdale, the bats in Austin, all the soldiers missing, vanished, or dead from Fort Hood in the past few years, and personally, my ex mysteriously drowning in a river near Temple. Not to mention all of the weird memories I have from clubbing in Austin during the early 90's.

Even though I love Austin and despite all the new shiny towers, when I go back and visit, there just seems to be an underlying eeriness to the entire central Texas area.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:21 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Agreed.

This is part of why I get a weird vibe from Cincinnati. For a 2 million metro, it's wild how little street activity there is in the urban core of the city. The area around Findlay's Market is bustling, but once you get outside that district, it gets quiet pretty quickly. Downtown is very similar in that it's not uncommon to not see a lot of people around.

Neighboring cities Louisville, Columbus, and Indianapolis have far more street-level activity despite not being as structurally urban as Cincy.
When I lived in Cincinnati back in the 1980s, there was no reason to go downtown unless attending a Reds or Bengals game.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:19 PM

157 posts, read 137,425 times
I felt a lot of bad energy in Little Rock. Everyone seemed in a bad mood.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:29 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
I felt a lot of bad energy in Little Rock. Everyone seemed in a bad mood.
I mean they do live in Arkansas. Id be mad too.

(joking)

Old 04-19-2021, 04:03 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,839 times
It does seem that eerie/haunted type places happen to be economically depressed. From my experiences they are:
Portland, OR
Gallup, NM
Pine Bluff, AR
New Orleans, LA
Wilmer, AL
Savannah, GA
southern SC towns along I-95
Norwich, CT (I forgot about this one. Thanks to another poster who mentioned it)

Old 04-19-2021, 07:50 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,910 times
Waco, TX. So much bad **** has gone down there, and you can just feel it in the air. I went to an Iowa State/Baylor football game though and found everyone strange, aloof, and unwelcoming. The neighborhood the stadium was in was run down. I've never felt a stronger sense of the universe not wanting us to be there in my life.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:11 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Waco, TX. So much bad **** has gone down there, and you can just feel it in the air. I went to an Iowa State/Baylor football game though and found everyone strange, aloof, and unwelcoming. The neighborhood the stadium was in was run down. I've never felt a stronger sense of the universe not wanting us to be there in my life.
Ooooh, Waco is a good play here. I should have thought of it. I spent six weeks there at CDL school and never found a good neighborhood aside from a scant few. I always thought of it as a “dusty” city; not literally, but it always had a weird vibe as though it was kind of tweaker central, not much going on beyond I35 running through it, etc. I don’t know how Chip and Joey make it with Magnolia out there, but I’ve always hoped they’d be a good breakthrough for Waco. Downtown, Baylor, and especially Cameron Park give it good bones. Cameron Park is one of my fav municipal parks in the nation, right alongside Chico’s Bidwell Park, Chicago’s Grant Park, Dallas’ Klyde Warren Park, and...a bunch of stuff in DC which might not actually be municipal parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.