Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 05:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's weird but not so scary looking to me that I wouldn't want to get out of my car.
Me neither, but I thought it was hilarious when I was reading a comment about that town, and this is the first place the little street view icon landed. I actually think it's kind of creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 06:24 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Me neither, but I thought it was hilarious when I was reading a comment about that town, and this is the first place the little street view icon landed. I actually think it's kind of creative.
Berlin is not a nice town, a much nicer area of Coos County, NH is Lancaster in the "Out East" part. Hopefully all of the rural areas there have cable internet now, that was an issue 10 years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4988...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-21-2021, 07:45 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Places that creeped me out so much I don’t want to go back to

Milwaukee WI
Little Rock AR
Harrisburg PA
Albany NY

For some reason these cities all seemed vaguely sinister and unsettling to me, like they were sets for Twilight Zone episodes. Nothing obviously wrong at first glance, but you wouldn’t be surprised to find out all the school children are black eyed kids, and all the town fathers are hybrids.

Unlike some posters here, places don’t creep me out just because they’re poor. That just depresses and saddens me. But unfortunately in America, it’s just too common and unremarkable.
Speaking of Milwaukee, even the few times I was in its not as nice neigborhoods(i.e. for Doors Open Milwaukee to check out the Shriners Temple on the west side of town, or the south side of Milwaukee to see the inside of the Modjeska Theater), to me it didn't seem THAT bad IMO. Yes those areas(by Shriners Temple, and also the Modjeska Theater) were a little economically depressed, but I've been to much worser neighborhoods in other cities. Check out the bad neighborhoods of other cities(i.e. Chicago, Gary, East Saint Louis), then get back to me.

Funny another poster mentioned Lordsburg, NM, since I had kept meaning to look up the Shakespeare Ghost Town that my 50 state(and Canada and Mexico) road atlas noted exists outside of that town. Is it not as interesting, as some of the ghost towns in western Colorado?

Old 04-21-2021, 06:56 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,917 times
Truth or consequences New Mexico

Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Davenport, Iowa
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Benton Harbor, MI
Erie, PA
Wilkes Barre, PA
Trenton, NJ
Lynn, MA
Fall River, MA
Hartford, CT
Jackson, MS
Cairo, il
Portland, OR
Palmdale, CA
Kingman, AZ
Youngstown, OH

I guess a lot of places creep me out.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:10 PM

676 posts, read 494,521 times
New Orleans

Fayetteville, NC

Old 04-22-2021, 03:02 AM

17 posts, read 23,021 times
All of West Virginia?

Old 04-22-2021, 05:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
The Gaines make for good television because the real estate is so cheap and people are shocked at what you can buy there... Waco is pretty much a dump.

At the end of the day one couple cannot change an entire town. If anything I doubt they even live there full time with their new found success.

Lots of rural Texas creeps me out to be honest. Amarillo is another one.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:18 PM

150 posts, read 74,115 times
Beatty, Nevada. Driving in, there are lights on and everything looks busy and lit up, but when you get in, there are no actual people to be seen. Nobody walking around, nobody playing in their yard or driveway... except the occasional other drivers passing through. Also, feels locked in due to being in a sort of valley. Very weird vibe and got out of there as quick as possible.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:30 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by social_introvert View Post
Beatty, Nevada. Driving in, there are lights on and everything looks busy and lit up, but when you get in, there are no actual people to be seen. Nobody walking around, nobody playing in their yard or driveway... except the occasional other drivers passing through. Also, feels locked in due to being in a sort of valley. Very weird vibe and got out of there as quick as possible.
According to Wikipedia, Beatty has 29 residents. It looked busy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.