Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 07:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I had a similar, much milder experience somewhere in rural Mississippi. Me and my friends were road-tripping to New Orleans, and pulled off the expressway to change drivers and use the bathroom. We were clearly out in the sticks, far from any cities. Our limbs were cramped from sitting for hours, so we were stretching gym-style by using gas station lampposts for leverage. A few townies sitting on a curb looked at us, and nearly fell over in laughter. We looked at them, and said "hello"; they didn't say anything back, and that was the end of it. They didn't mad-dog us or do anything aggressive; we probably came off as a bunch of crazy city-slickers. The gas station worker was super-friendly, though.
That’s hilarious I can almost imagine it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 9,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've been to Ashland several times. A former friend's brother owned a small Italian restaurant there. My hiking club camped at Koebel's Grove in September for a few years. Friday evening dinner for early arrivals was at that restaurant.

Did you see the Whistler's Mother statue?
That statue is actually pretty impressive! The vibe is a little creepy, but I kind of like these burned out PA coal towns. My wife and I love Bloomsburg! I just wish I could find a job around there.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 9,740 times
Quote:
I had a similar, much milder experience somewhere in rural Mississippi. Me and my friends were road-tripping to New Orleans, and pulled off the expressway to change drivers and use the bathroom. We were clearly out in the sticks, far from any cities. Our limbs were cramped from sitting for hours, so we were stretching gym-style by using gas station lampposts for leverage. A few townies sitting on a curb looked at us, and nearly fell over in laughter. We looked at them, and said "hello"; they didn't say anything back, and that was the end of it. They didn't mad-dog us or do anything aggressive; we probably came off as a bunch of crazy city-slickers. The gas station worker was super-friendly, though.
Seems like something out of My Cousin Vinny!

Old 05-04-2021, 08:34 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Reminds me of Charlie Daniels' old song, "Uneasy Rider"

Old 05-04-2021, 08:41 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Stretching gym style at a gas station in public would get the same reaction in 80% of the rest of the country as well.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:22 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Stretching gym style at a gas station in public would get the same reaction in 80% of the rest of the country as well.
Maybe so. But we had a real physical need. Our bodies were cramped up from hours of driving/sitting, and we needed to stretch. Since we weren't hurting anybody, who cares. Plus, it made for a fun story to tell later.

Perhaps people from more urban areas wouldn't have laughed at us not because they're "nicer", but because they've seen worse craziness than city-slickers with Illinois plates using lampposts as stretching poles.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:13 PM

994 posts, read 778,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Haha, maybe my story falls more in line with that one. But will never forget when I moved to Georgia (2003). My brother came with me to help move in and we were blazing the entire way from Cleveland to Knoxville (where we were going to stay overnight).

Anyway, it was an ice storm when we left Cleveland and my Accord (not the ride of choice in middle of nowhere northern Tennessee) was still covered in ice by the time we got to this town called Jellico to fill up for gas. On top of the gas, we wanted to get a couple of 40s to drink before we got to Knoxville and find a spot to party at UT. We pulled up and it was your stereotypical southern scene, pickup trucks and good ol' boys hanging out at the gas station. I'm sure as soon as we opened the door a plume of smoke got everybody in the parking lot high, lol. We were gonna go in to take a ****, get a couple of 40s and get back on the road, but the looks from the people hanging around was the "your not from around here" variety, so filled up and GTFO.

FWIW, got to Knoxville and never ended up even getting to the hotel. One of the best party nights of my life, until had to drive like 4 more hours hung over the next day.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:18 AM

382 posts, read 488,318 times
Quote:
That's a weird part of TN. Best not to stop until you get a bit closer to Nashville going east or Jackson going west on I-40. That's not too far from where Holly Bobo was murdered years ago and there are many sex perverts, sketchy characters, and overall weirdos living close to the Tennessee River. The Holly Bobo case was high profile for years on end and the trial was downright spine-chilling to see.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:34 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
That's a weird part of TN. Best not to stop until you get a bit closer to Nashville going east or Jackson going west on I-40. That's not too far from where Holly Bobo was murdered years ago and there are many sex perverts, sketchy characters, and overall weirdos living close to the Tennessee River. The Holly Bobo case was high profile for years on end and the trial was downright spine-chilling to see.
As a general rule, I only stop in "major" cities or their suburbs when taking road trips.

For example, If I'm traveling between Dallas and Atlanta, I will only stop in:

Shreveport <---> Jackson <---> Birmingham

If I have to use the bathroom or if I feel hungry in the mean time, I grind through it.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-08-2021 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 05:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What are some depressed, weird or eerie cities in your opinion? By eerie, I mean creepy, depressed, unpopular, and just has a weird vibe.

I have traveled almost the entire country and have to say that the following places would be my top five:
  1. Utica, NY
  2. Davenport, IA
  3. Norwich, CT
  4. Bristol, VA
  5. Newburgh, NY
What was eerie about Davenport? I have been there several times, always seemed like a fine city to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.