Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 11:19 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Gramercy, LA.

Beaumont, TX.

Junction, TX.

Topeka, KS.

Belle Glade, FL. (Never been but I heard a lot about it)

Monroe, LA.

Winters, TX.

Rowena, TX.
I wouldn’t say it is weird or eerie. It’s just a very different part of Florida and it’s pretty consistent with what you’d find in a developing country. The people who live there have got it rough.

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Everglades City is weird. It’s pretty isolated and the city has a long history of smuggling. There’s something different about the people there; I can’t quite put my finger on what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 11:24 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Los Angeles near Dodger Stadium before the tunnels. I always felt the creepy vibe. Years later I read the gruesome murder of the poor little girl whose body was dumped not too far from the tunnel. (Viewer discretion: google Marion Parker.)

Downtown LA: I used to live with an ex-boyfriend on South Main St loft, did not know the infamous Cecil Hotel was literally across the street. For 4 months I lived there I went from being the happy-go-lucky person to get into the crying fit and profound sadness for no reason (OK, I hated the boyfriend. But that’s not entirely it.) it was scary my energy started to become very, very low. The building, the neighborhood (without knowing Cecil Hotel and Skid Row were across the street.) and the energy were just very eerie and sad. I also felt being watched, and I wasn’t even slightly superstitious and I’m generally very chill and happy..-as soon as I moved out I felt myself again.

Sarasota FL: there was a street (Clark?) in Sarasota that every time we drove by I felt like crying. Just a very profound sadness. As soon as we drove away it felt fine. There were quite a few places in FL that felt like that. Sunny, beautiful but eerily foreboding. I can’t explain it. Jacksonville gave me that vibe. Sarasota too. Miami near South Beach, even when it’s very sunny and crowded, struck me as foreboding and sad. I can’t explain. Maybe it’s the air of desperation, the air of decadence and hedonism. Like Las Vegas, party cities very often strike me to feel the kind of sad and loneliness coming from the people who act completely the opposite, like they are numb inside.

Portland Oregon: it felt very David Lynch Twin Peaks. Something underneath was brooding.

The little towns between Houston and Austin. Beaumont. There seemed to be eyes spooking from some corners your eyes can’t see.

The deserted desert towns in CA: Twenty-Nine Palms; Boldie, Calico….ghost towns. Creepy. Sad. Eerie.

Griffith Park in L.A: I only knew about the so-called “haunting” history years later, but it was always bizarre near the zoo area with some really dark energy.

Oh my God. I googled the Marion Parker murder, and God that was too disturbing to read, and I have a high tolerance for gruesome crap but when it involves children, its just too much.

On a related note, several years ago there was a controversy about the fact Google Maps showed the body of a teenager that was slain in Richmond, CA. The spot his body was at was some industrial area by train tracks. I played around on streetview once to get a feel of this spot and even without knowing what happened... it has haunting, eerie vibes. I think its the industrial metallicness of it all.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I wouldn’t say it is weird or eerie. It’s just a very different part of Florida and it’s pretty consistent with what you’d find in a developing country. The people who live there have got it rough.

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Everglades City is weird. It’s pretty isolated and the city has a long history of smuggling. There’s something different about the people there; I can’t quite put my finger on what it is.
I think its the history of those labour camps that makes it creepy.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 562,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Oh my God. I googled the Marion Parker murder, and God that was too disturbing to read, and I have a high tolerance for gruesome crap but when it involves children, its just too much.

On a related note, several years ago there was a controversy about the fact Google Maps showed the body of a teenager that was slain in Richmond, CA. The spot his body was at was some industrial area by train tracks. I played around on streetview once to get a feel of this spot and even without knowing what happened... it has haunting, eerie vibes. I think its the industrial metallicness of it all.
And I had to google the Richmond google map news.

I am the same. I’m obsessed with true crimes, my favorite movie genre is probably psychological thrillers, but I can’t watch anything involved with children and animals. They break my heart.

I regret so much of even knowing about Marion Parker.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
And I had to google the Richmond google map news.

I am the same. I’m obsessed with true crimes, my favorite movie genre is probably psychological thrillers, but I can’t watch anything involved with children and animals. They break my heart.

I regret so much of even knowing about Marion Parker.
Yea. I can handle gore in horror movies. In fact, I love it! Halloween is my favourite holiday and ALIEN is my favourite film, but stuff with real human suffering and horrible violence like this? Nope. It was 95 years ago but that kinda gut wrenching trauma still hits hard.

Old 02-04-2023, 07:50 PM

Recently came back from a trip to the desert Southwest. Love that part of the country, but eerie is its middle name, for sure! Especially at night. El Paso itself has a lonely foreboding vibe to it. Its a border city thats surprisingly safe despite bordering one of the most dangerous cities in the world. And with the migrant crisis, there's a sort of sadness about it. Also knowing about that plane crash into the Franklins is a bit eerie, considering there's still debris there.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:20 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:35 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Norristown, PA ...

Old 02-11-2023, 07:00 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Norristown, PA ...
Oh come on. You’re just trying to get a reaction from Philly area people (although I guess it worked). No one else has heard of the place.

Last edited by BPP1999; 02-11-2023 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 06:57 AM

1,098 posts, read 901,039 times
Really the entire Inland Empire, CA. Even nice parts of Redlands made me slightly uneasy. The expansive landscape, the dirty air, it’s right between LA and a massive desert. Drug use is high. Rent is high. Earthquake and fire risk is high. Tons of cars, no real urban center but people everywhere. With the warm climate and the mountains, it seems like it should be paradise but it feels closer to hell.

I could go after many small towns in the Midwest, but I’ll specifically call out Huron, OH since I have spent a lot of time there. I get the feeling that the people there are living in the 1990s (minus Facebook) wishing it was the 1960’s. It’s especially creepy in November when everything turns grey. The sense of dread I get while driving through towns like Bucyrus and Marion is crazy.

Longmont, CO. It feels super desolate, sad, and tired despite the really nice backdrop. The older parts of town feel like living in the Dennis The Menace movie, but hardly anyone is outside. It kind of reminds me of a midwestern town in the 1990s before it fully collapsed. Knowing that the KKK ran the town only 100 years ago is also not great for vibes. Some of the direct descendants of KKK members are probably hanging out in some of those older houses.

New Orleans, LA. Has an energy like no place I've ever been before. You can feel it in the air. It's a dark energy, but not necessarily all bad. There is a sense of excitement and eclecticism that balances out the negativity a bit.

Last edited by Jame22; 02-16-2023 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.