Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 12:41 PM

472 posts, read 347,570 times

Advertisements

Just my own personal experiences, but for me the following have been a bit odd, even eerie:

Gallup, NM
Jerome, AZ (went as a kid, so maybe my perception is off)
Moscow, TN (to an extent, not as bad as the others though)

I've never really felt that full towns were eerie though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 01:01 PM

42 posts, read 19,352 times
At the top of my head:
San Antonio, TX. Grew up here. Entire southside especially around the historical Missions and along the SA river to ghost tracks.
Temple, TX; most businesses close after 10pm, feels eerie.
Hillsboro, TX
NW Dallas/Farmers Branch/Carrollton along I-35
Fort Worth.
Pretty much the towns from Brady, TX to Fort Worth along US377
Also the towns from Fort Worth to Amarillo along US287.
Denton, TX
Argyle, TX
Lewisville, TX
Little Elm, TX
McKinney, TX and that stretch along US 380 to Greenville.
Towns between Austin and Houston along US290.

Outside my home state:
Pretty much of Oklahoma and Kansas to a lesser extent.
Memphis, TN
Franklin, TN (downtown area)
Knoxville, TN
Gary, IN

Basically any wooded area with RR tracks alongside a road, cities that look old, vacant and rundown, residential areas near cemeteries and industrial sites.

Last edited by Score; 06-20-2023 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-20-2023, 01:06 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Richmond CA. Isolated part of the Bay Area next to an oil refinery that feels forgotten. You certainly don’t feel welcome if you don’t live there. The little town off of it called North Richmond is even worse…I remember it had 10 homicides one year in the 90s for a town of 5,000 people.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I've never looked up Lewisville, TX on street view, nor have I visited there. So I won't comment about that one. I have visited Niles, MI and to me it isn't the worst place to visit. If you think that's bad, there are a lot worser places that are much more depressed, like Benton Harbor, MI(even if the downtown has been revived a tiny bit, such as with Mason Jar Cafe and a few other places like 3 Pillars Music), or Flint.

I recall street viewing West Terre Haute, and I recall not seeing much going on there. Ah well though, I wasn't expecting much out of that town, when I street viewed it. In a way, West Memphis(AR) also gave off a depressing vibe, when I both street viewed it, and watched Chris Harden's(Nostalgia Tours) driving video on this place on Youtube.
I lived in Denton which is just outside Lewisville, and passed through tons of times between there and Dallas etc. but I never got any creepy vibes.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
At the top of my head:
San Antonio, TX. Grew up here. Entire southside especially around the historical Missions and along the SA river to ghost tracks.
Temple, TX; most businesses close after 10pm, feels eerie.
Hillsboro, TX
NW Dallas/Farmers Branch/Carrollton along I-35
Fort Worth.
Pretty much the towns from Brady, TX to Fort Worth along US377
Also the towns from Fort Worth to Amarillo along US287.
Denton, TX
Argyle, TX
Lewisville, TX
Little Elm, TX
McKinney, TX and that stretch along US 380 to Greenville.
Towns between Austin and Houston along US290.

Outside my home state:
Pretty much of Oklahoma and Kansas to a lesser extent.
Memphis, TN
Franklin, TN (downtown area)
Knoxville, TN
Gary, IN

Basically any wooded area with RR tracks alongside a road, cities that look old, vacant and rundown, residential areas near cemeteries and industrial sites.
Why Denton? Besides Goatman's Bridge...

Old 06-20-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Richmond CA. Isolated part of the Bay Area next to an oil refinery that feels forgotten. You certainly don’t feel welcome if you don’t live there. The little town off of it called North Richmond is even worse…I remember it had 10 homicides one year in the 90s for a town of 5,000 people.
I was thinking of that place. A kid was murdered there in the late 2000s and there was a controversy over his body being visible on Google Maps. The whole area looks creepy, with many train tracks and factories.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Why Denton? Besides Goatman's Bridge...
Lived there for a year. Always had strange vibes especially in the older parts of town. By no means a bad place though. I always find myself coming back just to go to Buc-ee's.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:59 AM

I'd also add:

Joliet, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Little Rock, AR
Witchita, KS

Old 06-23-2023, 01:27 AM

406 posts, read 342,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
I'd also add:

Joliet, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Little Rock, AR
Witchita, KS
I live in the Wichita area, unfortunately, and I agree with it having a weird vibe. It is a very racist area.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:49 AM

86 posts, read 60,892 times
Zephyr Hills, FL: I can’t put my finger on why but it felt off. A group of us went out there to bowl after a hospital shift and everyone felt uncomfortable. My coworker asked me if it was because of his race and I said no, we all feel weird. It actually started when we drove in.

There was another town nearby, Wesley Chapel and everything felt normal there. Curious if there’s some history in ZH, or it’s just a vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.