Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2023, 07:46 AM

1,098 posts, read 902,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Recently came back from a trip to the desert Southwest. Love that part of the country, but eerie is its middle name, for sure! Especially at night. El Paso itself has a lonely foreboding vibe to it. Its a border city thats surprisingly safe despite bordering one of the most dangerous cities in the world. And with the migrant crisis, there's a sort of sadness about it. Also knowing about that plane crash into the Franklins is a bit eerie, considering there's still debris there.
I think a lot of cities in the west can be suffocating due the their isolation. Especially if they’re in the desert or a place with very little trees.

I even felt it in Denver which is obviously a major city

Last edited by Jame22; 02-16-2023 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 07:48 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Elizabeth
Linden
Rahway
Carteret
Irvington

Old 02-16-2023, 06:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
It's not really a city, but Williston, North Dakota has always creeped me out for some reason – well before the oil rush.

As a kid, my parents would take my brother and me on road trips out west and we stayed in Williston several times. It felt like a decrepit ghost town prior to the rush and now it's a Wild West boomtown with shootouts in the streets.

Glendive, Montana, also has that same vibe.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:09 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I think a lot of cities in the west can be suffocating due the their isolation. Especially if they’re in the desert or a place with very little trees.

I even felt it in Denver which is obviously a major city
'The Lonesome Crowded West'

Old 02-16-2023, 07:11 PM

Newark and Toledo, for me. I drove extensively through both, and both gave me a feeling of abandonment and decay that I probably would get from my hometown if I weren't so thoroughly acquainted with the local variant

Old 02-16-2023, 07:11 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Longmont, CO. It feels super desolate, sad, and tired despite the really nice backdrop. The older parts of town feel like living in the Dennis The Menace movie, but hardly anyone is outside. It kind of reminds me of a midwestern town in the 1990s before it fully collapsed. Knowing that the KKK ran the town only 100 years ago is also not great for vibes. Some of the direct descendants of KKK members are probably hanging out in some of those older houses.
It's really strange to read this about Longmont. I've visited the city before at multiple times of year and it was busy with plenty of people outside around the parks, shops and restaurants. That is a fast growing area of Colorado so most local people have no connection to events that happened a century ago. Unfortunately many places in America have shameful elements in their history, but they are not necessarily the same type of communities today - and I would think that is especially true in an economically dynamic, high tech and recreation oriented area like the Front Range.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:28 AM

541 posts, read 393,919 times
There is only one place I've ever gone to and DH was with me and had the same experience that gave both of us a very creepy, eerie vibe. It was several decades ago, but DH and I both remember it vividly, and we both wanted to leave sooner rather than later. We started walking around, stayed less than an hour (maybe it was less than a 1/2 hour) and then drove back home. That was Chautauqua, NY. We both just had a very weird sense that neither or us ever had before or have ever had since.

We drove up on a Sunday afternoon based on recommendations from friends who recommended going over to just see the place and maybe consider in the future signing up to spend some time at the Chautauqua Institute some summer. They thought it would be something that might be right up our alley that we'd really enjoy. We lived in Erie, PA at the time which was about an hour away.

As cool as offerings look at the Chautauqua Institute, you won't see us signing up due to the very freaky feelings we had that one day.

We're not into paranormal stuff or anything like that and not even sure if we believe in that kind of thing or not, but we just had a creepy / eerie vibe and were so happy to leave.

Last edited by Kathy884; 02-17-2023 at 01:37 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
It's really strange to read this about Longmont. I've visited the city before at multiple times of year and it was busy with plenty of people outside around the parks, shops and restaurants. That is a fast growing area of Colorado so most local people have no connection to events that happened a century ago. Unfortunately many places in America have shameful elements in their history, but they are not necessarily the same type of communities today - and I would think that is especially true in an economically dynamic, high tech and recreation oriented area like the Front Range.
I think it’s a northern front range thing. Tons of people like it. I think it’s a bit eerie, white washed, and desolate despite the fact that it is booming.

The park I’m thinking of specifically is Thompson Park. Most times I’ve been in that area it’s a little too quiet to the point where my wife and I start to feel paranoid. More people were generally out and about walking around in the new developments.

I could walk over to some windows at my corporate office (that looked like a correctional facility), and stare out at the Indian Peaks off in the distance. I found that incredibly depressing and suffocating.

It felt like a false utopia. A sprawling landscape where boring, sheltered people flock to in order to feel even more sheltered.

Last edited by Jame22; 02-17-2023 at 06:47 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
There is only one place I've ever gone to and DH was with me and had the same experience that gave both of us a very creepy, eerie vibe. It was several decades ago, but DH and I both remember it vividly, and we both wanted to leave sooner rather than later. We started walking around, stayed less than an hour (maybe it was less than a 1/2 hour) and then drove back home. That was Chautauqua, NY. We both just had a very weird sense that neither or us ever had before or have ever had since.

We drove up on a Sunday afternoon based on recommendations from friends who recommended going over to just see the place and maybe consider in the future signing up to spend some time at the Chautauqua Institute some summer. They thought it would be something that might be right up our alley that we'd really enjoy. We lived in Erie, PA at the time which was about an hour away.

As cool as offerings look at the Chautauqua Institute, you won't see us signing up due to the very freaky feelings we had that one day.

We're not into paranormal stuff or anything like that and not even sure if we believe in that kind of thing or not, but we just had a creepy / eerie vibe and were so happy to leave.
I just looked up Chautauqua. No kidding, the very first street I looked at on google street view gave me chills. I like that it’s walkable and bike oriented, but everything else about it is terrifying. Very strong cult and or xenophobic vibes. I probably wouldn’t feel safe staying there.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I just looked up Chautauqua. No kidding, the very first street I looked at on google street view gave me chills. I like that it’s walkable and bike oriented, but everything else about it is terrifying. Very strong cult and or xenophobic vibes. I probably wouldn’t feel safe staying there.
Chautauqua gives a 'living history' vibe, somewhat. Like you've gone back in time, which can be disconcerting. I've only ever been there for a few afternoons, but I imagine that spending nights there would feel like sharing a barn with some historical reenactor in Colonial Williamsburg...the accommodations at Chautauqua would be more upscale, but similar in spirit. Also, Salman Rushdie was attacked and almost killed there this past summer by someone who wanted to collect on the long-standing fatwa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.