Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
Sure, tons 38 33.63%
A few 41 36.28%
Nope, none 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
A huge amount of Blacks are impoverished pretty much everywhere.Whites dont seem to mind or see it as a racial issue,even though much of this black poverty stems from whites discrimination against blacks in jobs and housing.Go ahead,deny it,but blacks have been living in hell every since we have been in america and its not all of a sudden all our faults.How convient to just say ''hey screw it,they are doing it to themselves now'' while ignoring what happens most times when a black man fills out an application to get a job(''nope,not gonna hire him'').

Man,we are screwed (we as in the back community).It makes me sick to my ****ing stomach the way white america acts.Its like watching a dog starve to death that is chained right in front of your house and walking by it everyday,grocery bags in tow,whistling and pretending to not even see the dog.
I agree with you 100%. The problem is no one is going to pull a community by its bootstraps whether they should or shouldn't. How one handles that, is entirley up to the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Racial issues are all over the world on every continent in every country.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
A huge amount of Blacks are impoverished pretty much everywhere.Whites dont seem to mind or see it as a racial issue,even though much of this black poverty stems from whites discrimination against blacks in jobs and housing.Go ahead,deny it,but blacks have been living in hell every since we have been in america and its not all of a sudden all our faults.How convient to just say ''hey screw it,they are doing it to themselves now'' while ignoring what happens most times when a black man fills out an application to get a job(''nope,not gonna hire him'').

Man,we are screwed (we as in the back community).It makes me sick to my ****ing stomach the way white america acts.Its like watching a dog starve to death that is chained right in front of your house and walking by it everyday,grocery bags in tow,whistling and pretending to not even see the dog.
And getting mad and kicking the dog if he dares to whimper at you .

O.k. I'm not a communist. I don't think whites should come along and start throwing handouts to blacks or that there's nothing black people can or should do to help themselves. But, so many whites in America choose to believe that black poverty and racism (past or present) have nothing to do with each other. You have to realize it was only in my parents childhood (not all the way back in slavery days) that most desirable jobs were very often denied to blacks ( even in liberal cities like San Fran) as well as homes in good neighborhoods, bank loans, union memberships, etc. etc.

This has alot to do with the facts that blacks (in all of America) are economically worse off than whites. This leads to greater problems with education, crime, health and other quality of life issues.

My Aunt lived in Bay Area the majority of her life and the stories she tells me about the black communities (low income) she managed properties in there are downright horrid.

You can say it's a class thing not race thing all you want but a black kid in America is Three Times as likely to be born into poverty than a white kid. And that ties race and class together.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Yea, blame whitey! he puts that 40oz malt liquor in that black mans hand at 9:00am. he makes 70% of black kids grow up without daddy.yea! whitey is the reason that 95% of murdered black men are murdered by other black men. keep blaming everyone but them and they will never learn to be responsible for thier own actions and futures. Give me a break! Aint nobody owned a slave in a 150 years! Theres not 1 black alive who has a right to blame his/her troubles on past injustices!

Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 PM

146 posts, read 688,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Theres not 1 black alive who has a right to blame his/her troubles on past injustices!
Are you kidding? You realize we're only a couple generations away now from the end of segregation and the passage of the Civil Rights act, don't you? You think racism stopped magically in 1964? And once "separate but equal" was thrown out for good, we've only had the decline of manufacturing, clobbering of unions, eroding of the middle class, war on drugs (ie., incarcerating minorities for profit), and the crack epidemic. Oh yeah, for a group that just got real civil rights in the 1960s, I'm sure all of these events will have had no effect at all.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Bay area native, and i have to disagree. Race dictates so many things...
I agree. Lived in the bay area since 1989 and racial problems exist here in abundance. Nice weather, a jovial atmosphere of frivolity, and positive, almost giddy enthusiam can't hide this.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
I voted wrong, Sorry I meant to answer 'no, none'. But i was answering you title question... and I did, ...so take one away from yes...lol...
Racism is everywhere... Manila to LA, Paris to Bombay, Dallas to Taipei, Mexico city to Nairobi whatever... you get the idea.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 AM

208 posts, read 412,101 times
Lt. Dan wasn't saying racism doesn't exist.

For black people to blame white people in this day and age for their problems is silly. Especially considering when you have people like Barack Obama running for President, a black Supreme Court Justice, a black Secratary of State, lots of black district judges, etc. etc. Oprah Winfrey grew up poor, if white racism was holding her down then how did she turn into a mega-rich American icon? Please explain this ....

Old 11-24-2007, 11:02 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
I agree. Lived in the bay area since 1989 and racial problems exist here in abundance. Nice weather, a jovial atmosphere of frivolity, and positive, almost giddy enthusiam can't hide this.
I agree that it exists-but in abundance?

That all depends on who you ask. Most people arent so negative about racism as if it were some rampantly spreading virus, on the contrary, the outlook by most people in this area is quite good. Not perfect, but not dire either. And this is from

Bay Area poll on Race Relations
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/1998/01/19/race_large-illo.gif (broken link)

Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,743 times
I personally believe that racism is imminent in us all. Feel free to disagree with me, but when you stereotype or have prejudices, that's racism. And we all have 'em.

It's just that some places learn to flow better with it than others. New York is very progressive, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.