Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
Sure, tons 38 33.63%
A few 41 36.28%
Nope, none 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:07 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
No not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:08 PM

236 posts, read 615,095 times
Quote:
http://sacdcweb06.salon.com/opinion/...urce=whitelist

Is race dying?

More than a third of black Americans no longer believe that blacks are a single race. This finding has alarmed some -- but it could help America out of its racial mess.

worth a read.
No,race/racism is NOT dying.

This wont help mass discrimination in jobs and housing.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Asians didnt even march for their own civil rights, blacks had to do it for them.
We were small back then, we weren't discriminated as bad, and we are now just getting big.
My grandfather came from Taiwan and had to go potty. The rest stop came up and he didn't know whether to go in the Black people bathroom or the White people bathroom. He went into the Black people bathroom to be safe, but they kicked him out, so he went to the white one where no one said anything. Asians are now just starting to get big, They're still small, we shouldn't be as big as the African Americans until maybe 2050.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
We were small back then, we weren't discriminated as bad, and we are now just getting big.
My grandfather came from Taiwan and had to go potty. The rest stop came up and he didn't know whether to go in the Black people bathroom or the White people bathroom. He went into the Black people bathroom to be safe, but they kicked him out, so he went to the white one where no one said anything. Asians are now just starting to get big, They're still small, we shouldn't be as big as the African Americans until maybe 2050.
nice! well said...america needs to grow to accept all races, let the haters move on

Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
so what will it take us to move past this?

time seems to work somewhat, but it takes so long!!!
I think if African Americans ever come close to bridgeing the economic gap between themselves and whites ( as well as other races) tensions will greatly diminish.

What can we do to help close this gap?

Whites:
1. Stop electing politicians that are determine not only to do nothing to help
blacks economically, but want to undo measures taken to help blacks in
in the past (afirmative action, etc.)

2. If you are in a position of power in the work force, try not to participate
in the 'ole boy' system at the expense of blacks that don't belong to
your social circle ( this is a major part of discrimination that many whites
don't even consider discrimination).This promotes the "it's who you know
not what you know" adage. And whites tend to know more powerful,
influential people than blacks.

Blacks:
1. Unite, and organize with the goal of reaching economic milestones for the
community.

2. If you have kids you should be 100% commited to making sure they excel
academically and graduate from either college or technical/trade school.
Anything less is not enough in this day and age.

3. Try to gain wealth (not just material goods but actual assets).

These are just the tip of the Iceberg I have many, many more ideas and hopefully will share them when I have more time.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
PRESIDENTIAL POLITICS: Should I vote for OBAMA because of my RACE? ... or vote for CLINTON because of my GENDER? | ajc.com (broken link)

PRESIDENTIAL POLITICS: Should I vote for OBAMA because of my RACE? ... or vote for CLINTON because of my GENDER?
Once the answer might have been obvious for black women. But now it's a question of how some define their struggles.

an interesting angle.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
I would say the Northern Virginia, Metropolitian Washington DC area is pretty close to being a colorblind city with no racial issues. This is probably due to the fact that nearly everyone here (regardless of race) is a college-educated, affluent yuppie, and thus there is no "working class" tension between racial or ethnic groups.

Its not perfect, because I have a few Russian friends who lived right in the middle of Southeast DC (the mostly black, poor area of the city), and they were harrassed on a couple of occasions because of their race. Mostly kids taunting them "white boys"

Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 AM

236 posts, read 615,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I would say the Northern Virginia, Metropolitian Washington DC area is pretty close to being a colorblind city with no racial issues. "

Explain the mass unemployment of black men in DC.Are they choosing to be that way,or is there substantial discrimination against them in the job market?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM

72 posts, read 258,706 times
I don't know about the situation in SE DC, so someone can ask the people who've been to that part of DC in the DC forum. But Prince George's county is doing quite well:America's wealthiest black country Ebony - Find Articles.

According to this next source, 56% of blacks in the DC metro area make more than $40000 a year, but doesn't break it down into percentages in each level of middle and upper class and it dates back to 1999. This chart may be useful for you in researching a metro area with less race problems, if you consider a black income rate equal to or greater the US average an indicator that discrimination isn't the primary concern: JS Online: (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=120988 - broken link).

Last edited by mhsquire; 11-29-2007 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: grammer/spelling

Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 AM

74 posts, read 318,279 times
Every American city has racial problems because the generation born before the sixties has yet to croak. Some places are just better at hiding the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.