Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

I wish we had some of their fashion sense and social etiquette. I used to be of those people that was live and let live regarding our issues as a country. I still am but some things need to change. We have a nation of overweight people and slobs and I no longer think this is okay. We need to have some standards because they have gone too far down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wish we had some of their fashion sense and social etiquette. I used to be of those people that was live and let live regarding our issues as a country. I still am but some things need to change. We have a nation of overweight people and slobs and I no longer think this is okay. We need to have some standards because they have too far down.
What are overweight people and slobs doing to you personally to the point where you want to interfere with their lifestyle?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What are overweight people and slobs doing to you personally to the point where you want to interfere with their lifestyle?
This is what is wrong with this country. People that don't think anything is wrong with being overweight and being a slob. Look, I'm not trying to interfere with anyone's lifestyle. I just think the new generation needs to set a new high standard in regards to the way they dress, look, and act. Hopefully this will shame alot of the overweight people into losing weight and the slobs to get some class and presentable clothing. Nowhere but here and maybe Australia are these things acceptable in the first world.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Nowhere but here and maybe Australia are these things acceptable in the first world.
Thank god i don't live in the rest of the developed world minus Australia.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
I wish we had some of their fashion sense and social etiquette. I used to be of those people that was live and let live regarding our issues as a country. I still am but some things need to change. We have a nation of overweight people and slobs and I no longer think this is okay. We need to have some standards because they have gone too far down.
This is kind of what I was getting at, although it's a little different twist.

In America, we already implicitly admire European culture - in fashion and apparel, cuisine, colognes and perfumes, luxury cars, wine, art, architecture, literature, classical music and other things. Many of the "top" things are considered European. The British royals are the only foreign family we regularly pay any serious attention to (even more than most American families), etc.

And yet, Americans generally don't internalize any of these things, if you know what I mean. We know very well what class is, but we seem to be just as happy ignoring it in our personal lives most of the time.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
No, I like the diverse mix we have now. I am also more interested in Latin, Middle Eastern and Asian influences than European. One reason I prefer the West Coast to the East Coast, and LA to NYC.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yep, Yep, Yep. There always seemed to be a phobia of immigrants not learning English or fully assimilating once they arrive in America. This lead to immigrants themselves having a phobia of not being able to integrate. So integration and not being seen as "too" ethnic seemed to be a priority among many immigrants. I think the pressure may be on the most for Middle-Easterners out of all the ethnic groups, especially in this post-9/11 America.

As for the Hispanic community will fully assimilate one day. Right now, only certain groups of Hispanics are fully assimilated, and those assimilated groups of Hispanics have even been given various titles, like Chicanos, Tejanos, and Nuyoricans.

Going back to the whole convo on Ethnic Whites, one thing seems clear. Even though they were disgriminated against by American Protestant Anglos, once they fully assimilated and became somewhat trusted and or accepted as "Just White" they all joined the club in discrimination against Blacks. It seems getting away from being looked at as "ethnic white" and membership as "Just White like us" was dependent upon your gradual move up in the ethnic latter, away from Blacks. Irish in Boston got discrimnated against, than turned around and did it to Blacks, So did the Italians in NYC. Now I hear it's happening with Mexican-American gangs in California(but it's probably exagerrated by the media).

BUT, if you're Black AND a foreigner? You get it from all cylinders. You get it from Whites, and jealous Black Americans. But sometimes if you're a Black foreigner, who is somewhat docile, and you have somewhat of an education(think intelligent Nigerians/West Africans) than you might get more respect from Whites, than a Black American would. Whites may think of you as "The other Blacks", and not the Ghetto African-Americans. This may lead to the disapproval and general discrimination against African-Americans, at the hands of African immigrants. African immigrants may sometimes distance themselves from the general African-American community, so they can get approval from White-Americans.
This is sooo true on so many levels. I swear this is what be going on in the minds of some (but not all) African immigrants when they come here. Smh.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
No, I like the diverse mix we have now. I am also more interested in Latin, Middle Eastern and Asian influences than European. One reason I prefer the West Coast to the East Coast, and LA to NYC.
Here on the East Coast, you have a good and interesting mix of European, African, Central American, and Caribbean influences. At all comes down to what you prefer in the region's predominant foreign cultures

I do wish we had more people of Persian and Japanese ethnicity/descent out here as well as better Mexican food. Ah well, you can't have them all I suppose...It's all good.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
If America became more like Europe, what would European visitors have to brag about once they returned back home?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
if america became more like europe, what would european visitors have to brag about once they returned back home?
yep!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.