Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,656,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Not really! St. Louis had 850,000 people and DC had 800,000. They both were in between 13,000 to 14,000 ppsm.
Umm, yeah really. It's an empirical fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Camellia1 View Post
Nonsense. See below:

Midland Regional Map

MOST of Missouri is south midland while the southern third is true Southern.
South Midland isn't Southern, though, and it's existence is disputed by some.

American English Dialects

This map has it as the midland, but with the pin-pen merger.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That isn't a southern thing though. A lot of states are that way. Ohio, NY, PA, California, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc.
Including states in the northeast.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Disclosure, I didn't read through this entire thread, so I'm just posting my opinion.

Well, I grew up in Missouri. Lived in Kansas City for most of my life, but also lived in St Louis and College towns in Missouri. Now I live in Maryland. Have lived in the DC suburbs (Montgomery County and now live in Annapolis). I get around the area well (NOVA,Baltimore, DC etc) and probably already know the area better than most locals.

Honestly, there is not much difference. Missouri has more rural areas and the southern parts of the state do feel somewhat southern (if not totally southern). But most people in Missouri live in large metro areas of KC and StL and KC and St Louis are absolutely not southern at all. KC is strictly Midwestern (think omaha, chicago, etc) with a touch of west (LA, Phoenix, Denver). StL is midwestern/rustbelt (Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) with a touch of east coast (Baltimore, Philly etc).

Notice, I didn't mention any Southern cities and I don't really think of Baltimore as being all that southern, but maybe slightly more than StL. Rural Maryland can get pretty southern .

Overall, neither state is overly southern and they are relatively similar for the most part.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM

213 posts, read 322,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Even though the plurality of domestic migrants to DC's Maryland suburbs come from the South?

DC Suburbs (MD)

25.4% Maryland (outside the DC metro)
23.4% Northeast
28.9% South
12.3% West
10% Midwest

Here is the DMV as a whole:

38.1% from the South
23.0% from the Northeast
16.3% from the West
11.4% from Maryland (outside the DC metro)
11.3% from the Midwest

Is there like a "one drop rule" for Yankees in effect or something? So if you have one Yankee in a room with 99 non-Yankees, that makes everyone else there Yankee?
So what? Those people come from the South. That doesn't make D.C. Southern. You really are getting desperate. And I know you won't reply to me, so I guess by default, I win.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:26 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Including states in the northeast.
-sorry for bumping such an old thread-

Aye. I did mention PA and NY which are northeastern but I think you mean to include New England.

If anybody believes there are no hillfolk or rednecks in New England they are quite mistaken. *coughNew Hampshire*cough*

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
I grew up in Southern PG county Maryland, but spent a lot of time in the Northeast (New York, Boston) as well as the Deep South (Alabama). I only drove across Missouri (from St. Louis to KC, spent the night in Columbia), so I cannot speak for Missouri, but I suspect that the 11 nations map is more or less on target.

Central and Northern Missouri is more "Midland". The southern part is Appalachia. You will feel the transition moving north to south. I did not feel like I was in the South in Columbia, but I bet 100 miles south of there would feel very different.

As for Maryland, I can vouch that there are 3 different cultures intersecting there. Appalachia in the west, Midland in the north and Northeast, and Tidewater in Southern Maryland and the the lower half of the Eastern Shore. You fell the transition moving north to south and hit is around MD Rt. 214 in southern PG and Anne Arundel counties. South of there has a 350 year history of African slaves working on tobacco plantations and shares that history with Tidewater Virginia. They sympathized with the Confederates during the Civil War. The Jim Crow segregation in southern Maryland was more like Virginia and North Carolina, while it was more like the north in Baltimore. DC has had a significant black population ever since it was founded.

Northern MD shares more culturally with Pennsylvania.

Climatically, the lower Chesapeake Bay area is more subtropical, like tidewater Virginia. Southern Magnolias and hardy palms can survive there.

Maryland is Catholic as it was founded by English Catholics and they were always the major landowners in the tidewater region. It is not Catholic because it is more northern or more Italian/Irish (like Boston).

I really think this is a moot discussion. As border states between the North and South, you will find elements of both in both MO and MD. MD has the added tidewater culture around the Chesapeake Bay that it shares with Virginia. I am sure the boot in MO feels very much like the Mississippi delta region.

There is another break in the culture as shown in that 11 nations map that I could see in Alabama. The northern 3rd is Appalachian culture. The southern half if the Deep South. In between is a transitional area that is mixed.

Maybe another barometer is the number of Historically black colleges - Maryland had many.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkjefe View Post
I grew up in Southern PG county Maryland, but spent a lot of time in the Northeast (New York, Boston) as well as the Deep South (Alabama). I only drove across Missouri (from St. Louis to KC, spent the night in Columbia), so I cannot speak for Missouri, but I suspect that the 11 nations map is more or less on target.

Central and Northern Missouri is more "Midland". The southern part is Appalachia. You will feel the transition moving north to south. I did not feel like I was in the South in Columbia, but I bet 100 miles south of there would feel very different.

As for Maryland, I can vouch that there are 3 different cultures intersecting there. Appalachia in the west, Midland in the north and Northeast, and Tidewater in Southern Maryland and the the lower half of the Eastern Shore. You fell the transition moving north to south and hit is around MD Rt. 214 in southern PG and Anne Arundel counties. South of there has a 350 year history of African slaves working on tobacco plantations and shares that history with Tidewater Virginia. They sympathized with the Confederates during the Civil War. The Jim Crow segregation in southern Maryland was more like Virginia and North Carolina, while it was more like the north in Baltimore. DC has had a significant black population ever since it was founded.

Northern MD shares more culturally with Pennsylvania.

Climatically, the lower Chesapeake Bay area is more subtropical, like tidewater Virginia. Southern Magnolias and hardy palms can survive there.

Maryland is Catholic as it was founded by English Catholics and they were always the major landowners in the tidewater region. It is not Catholic because it is more northern or more Italian/Irish (like Boston).

I really think this is a moot discussion. As border states between the North and South, you will find elements of both in both MO and MD. MD has the added tidewater culture around the Chesapeake Bay that it shares with Virginia. I am sure the boot in MO feels very much like the Mississippi delta region.

There is another break in the culture as shown in that 11 nations map that I could see in Alabama. The northern 3rd is Appalachian culture. The southern half if the Deep South. In between is a transitional area that is mixed.

Maybe another barometer is the number of Historically black colleges - Maryland had many.
Southern Missouri is in the Ozarks; like Appalachia but not the same region geographically.

Just a quick note.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Maryland is a liberal northern state. I don't think MO qualifies as Southern either, but it's certainly closer to it than one of the most liberal states in the country.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Maryland is a very odd state, it is dominated by washington dc and baltimore and seems very liberal but it still can elect someone like Michael Peroutka to anne arundel council. Maryland had huge southern sympathies in the civil war, there was a large southern style aristocracy in southern maryland and around the eastern shore and chesapeake area.

I think most of the suburbs of Dc are alot like suburbs anywhere, western maryland seems alot like pennsylvania and a few places in southern maryland and eastern shore are pretty southern. We are an odd state

You just have to listen to the lyrics of maryland state song to see how southern leaning it was, Maryland produced this guy

wikimedia commons

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.