Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,702 times

Advertisements

I've lived and travelled through many countries and overall San Francisco gets my vote. I enjoyed my visit but the streets were the filthiest I've encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:53 PM

117 posts, read 449,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
There are some generally interesting traits about central Austin, but it's not a city I'm particularly fond of.

I can say that I do enjoy the energy I feel when I go there, I like how it's easy to navigate (especially the downtown I-35 area), I like the hills, the flyovers, and some of the other scenery. All of that still wasn't enough to hold my interest, though.
ah.... really?? but you gotta love the hula hut, right?? lol

Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 PM

89 posts, read 100,096 times
Fort Myers, I've hated it ever since I was 10 years old, and I'm not kidding. When I was getting ready to move there, I thoguht it was going to be paradise, just a typical scene of a tropical paradise like in the romantic movies, however, I had pictured wrong. The place is a freaking hellhole, crime, poverty, gangs, pedophiles, it's just really sad. Even though some parts were okay, most of it was bad. Hell, I even heard the "nice" parts had bad problems. Thank god I lived 30 minutes from that hellhole so I didn't have to be in the center of it all the time.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM

217 posts, read 879,099 times
I did not like Atlanta when I visited there. Too sprawled out, too many people, scary areas right in the central business district. It was nice during the day, but at night, I truly feared for my life. And this was in a nice downtown hotel.

I did not care for Indianapolis either. Although not as scary as Atlanta, the area itself is very bland, not exciting. Atleast the Atlanta area had some got of vibe to it and their were many trees around. Also many of the small towns along the way seemed kind of scrubby. The same applies to Louisville too.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Austin, Cincinnati, and Miami did nothing for me.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
San Francisco and Austin.

If you compare cities to people, San Francisco is like a woman who looks beautiful from a distance... but up close you see flaws and you realize she isn't very clean. OMG that city has a layer of filth. Now, to be fair, there were a few things in SF that I found charming (but only a few--I expected so much more). The people I met acted smug, but I couldn't see anything superior about them. Lots of phoniness (IMO).

Austin was another city I expected to be hip. In reality, it was boring... not much different from Omaha. Obnoxious weather, and depressing city parks. Music scene was not anywhere near as good as it was promoted to be. Or did all the good bands just happen to leave town that month???? Lake Travis was ok, I guess--but I expected a lot more. The one thing I DID like about Austin was watching the bats fly out from under the city bridges at twilight.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
Los Angeles, Burlington, VT, Louisville and Lexington, KY, Charleston, and Minneapolis

Old 12-19-2007, 07:46 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Tampa. I thought it would be a nice beach type community. It was disgusting sprawl. Jacksonville, Florida- I was shocked at just how awful it was. New Orleans (before Katrina)- just too dangerous and run down.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
San Francisco and Austin.

If you compare cities to people, San Francisco is like a woman who looks beautiful from a distance... but up close you see flaws and you realize she isn't very clean. OMG that city has a layer of filth. Now, to be fair, there were a few things in SF that I found charming (but only a few--I expected so much more). The people I met acted smug, but I couldn't see anything superior about them. Lots of phoniness (IMO).

Austin was another city I expected to be hip. In reality, it was boring... not much different from Omaha. Obnoxious weather, and depressing city parks. Music scene was not anywhere near as good as it was promoted to be. Or did all the good bands just happen to leave town that month???? Lake Travis was ok, I guess--but I expected a lot more. The one thing I DID like about Austin was watching the bats fly out from under the city bridges at twilight.
Yeah, one of them girls... 'Looks fine from afar but far from fine'!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
I did not like Atlanta when I visited there. Too sprawled out, too many people, scary areas right in the central business district. It was nice during the day, but at night, I truly feared for my life. And this was in a nice downtown hotel.
Hmmm, wonder why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.