Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthpub View Post

Of all the cities visited, however, most shocked by Vancouver- I found the downtown to be dirtier and sketchier than I would have ever imagined.
I've heard Edmonton is nice though.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 08-15-2009 at 03:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Yeah, NYC has cleaned up in the last decade or so, I just can't stand the smell,that's what really got to me. I mean I guess with 8 millon people, a city is gonna have it's problems. NYC is great, just not for me. I would rather live here in norfolk, va where I can get the big city feel without all of the people, tourists, smell, etc. I'd rather ride our light rail system than that intricate subway system, but again, it's all about preference.
I've only ever been there for one weekend, but it was in the winter. And when you see the sewer drains steaming and get a whiff of that, seriously it almost made me forget how great the pizza was. I'm surprised they don't open them up regularly to check for dead bodies. Ughh

I do love the city itself though, the restaurants and culture are never ending, and the vibe of just being "in the city" was awesome. I'd love to spend some real time there, actually I always wanted to sublet a studio for a spring and summer and just work and party my a** off. Somehow, I don't think the the kids would fit in my nap sack, but maybe.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry you feel that way about Nola.

If there is a next time, do yourself a favor to preserve your sanity and get out of the Quarter. Take a ride on the St. Charles streetcar up to the Garden District and Carrollton. That is the "real" city, imo.
If you actually drove pre-Katrina, around the outskirts of the main squares, you'd have seen how poor, and dirty and just really sad New Orleans is (or used to be- I went right before Katrina). So much money comes in to that city throughout a year and the corrupt poliliticians put most of it in their own pockets.

I'd love to go now to see what's changed, but I'd have to ride around the areas that haven't been restored yet, and I know it would make me cry

Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Wow...just like Los Angeles. Does anyone really like Los Angeles or are they really smitten by Santa Monica, Beverly Hills or West Hollywood?
No, people actually like Los Angeles as well as the other cities you are referring to. Many enjoy the Getty Museums set in the Santa Monica mountains, as well as Griffith Observatory perched on top of Griffith Park. Most people check out Venice Beach (city of LA), and generally find it to be pretty cool. Marina Del Rey is nice, and almost everyone goes to Hollywood which has transformed completely over the last 5 years. We also have the historic financial district which is an excellent day trip, as well as the Fashion District. For shopping, Melrose Ave is quite famous, The Grove/Farmers Market and Century City Mall are very nice as well. Not to mention a lot of wealthy areas for locals within the city of LA, like Cheviot Hills, Westwood, Hancock Park, Hollywood Hills, and pretty much all of the San Fernando Valley south of Ventura.

Now, let me just finish by saying that I appreciate you standing up for Miami, since that is your hometown and you are proud to live there. I have only visited Miami on day trips and it's possible I haven't seen a lot of what it has to offer. Please feel free to let me know what's worth seeing next time I visit.

Last edited by LASam; 08-15-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
No, people actually like Los Angeles as well as the other cities you are referring to. Many enjoy the Getty Museums set in the Santa Monica mountains, as well as Griffith Observatory perched on top of Griffith Park. Most people check out Venice Beach (city of LA), and generally find it to be pretty cool. Marina Del Rey is nice, and almost everyone goes to Hollywood which has transformed completely over the last 5 years. We also have the historic financial district which is an excellent day trip, as well as the Fashion District. For shopping, Melrose Ave is quite famous, The Grove/Farmers Market and Century City Mall are very nice as well. Not to mention a lot of wealthy areas for locals within the city of LA, like Cheviot Hills, Westwood, Hancock Park, Hollywood Hills, and pretty much all of the San Fernando Valley south of Ventura.

Now, let me just finish by saying that I appreciate you standing up for Miami, since that is your hometown and you are proud to live there. I have only visited Miami on day trips and it's possible I haven't seen a lot of what it has to offer. Please feel free to let me know what's worth seeing next time I visit.
Excellent post! I could not have said it better.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 PM

228 posts, read 554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I've heard Edmonton is nice though.
Have never been, but I also hear Edmonton is quite nice.

It was downtown Vancouver that unpleasantly shocked me. Victoria Island/Vancouver Island, however, is absolutely breathtaking.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM

167 posts, read 435,047 times
dissapointed by Austin but that was probably cause it was mid-January, it was freezing, and I only stayed two days

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Seattle: People on here treat it like it's at par with NYC and Chicago. Honestly, It's beautiful with wonderful surroundings and downtown but it's not all that great. it was gloomy, foggy, and rainy the whole week I was there and it was the end of August! It has a very dark depressed feel to it in my opinion. I did like it in general but it doesn't live up to NYC or Chicago like people claim.

San Francisco: Not sure what the big obsession with SF is. It is beautiful indeed, but it felt crowded and the homeless population in the downtown area was terrible and it smelt of urine! I don't care about shopping or any of that yuppie stuff so that also didn't really phase me. I have nothing against gays but there were gays everywhere. The people mostly consisted of Yuppies, gays, buisness professionals and a lot of the people acted very smug. I was expecting some variety in people. So all in all, not as amazing as everyone says and definitely doesn't compare to NYC or Chicago.

I will say the areas surrounding SF are awesome! Napa and the Redwoods are incredible!

Memphis: It was so hot and humid when I was there! The people didn't really seem all that nice either! I might go back to give it another try though!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM

235 posts, read 344,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Seattle: People on here treat it like it's at par with NYC and Chicago. Honestly, It's beautiful with wonderful surroundings and downtown but it's not all that great. it was gloomy, foggy, and rainy the whole week I was there and it was the end of August! It has a very dark depressed feel to it in my opinion. I did like it in general but it doesn't live up to NYC or Chicago like people claim.

San Francisco: Not sure what the big obsession with SF is. It is beautiful indeed, but it felt crowded and the homeless population in the downtown area was terrible and it smelt of urine! I don't care about shopping or any of that yuppie stuff so that also didn't really phase me. I have nothing against gays but there were gays everywhere. The people mostly consisted of Yuppies, gays, buisness professionals and a lot of the people acted very smug. I was expecting some variety in people. So all in all, not as amazing as everyone says and definitely doesn't compare to NYC or Chicago.

I will say the areas surrounding SF are awesome! Napa and the Redwoods are incredible!

Memphis: It was so hot and humid when I was there! The people didn't really seem all that nice either! I might go back to give it another try though!
I ditto what you said about San Francisco -- ugly city at street level, dirty, homeless people everywhere, trash blowing everywhere, and being from Atlanta I was WAY under impressed with the gay scene. I had to go find the Castro -- and when I got there, I said, "This is it?" Locals said, "Well, you should have seen it 20 years ago." In my estimation, San Francisco is absolutely the most over-rated city in America. I think what people confuse is that it's in a strikingly beautiful natural setting -- from every point in the city you can see ocean, bay, hills, bridge -- but the city itself is awful.

Second most over-rated (and most disappointing) city I've ever visited is New Orleans. ONE ... GIANT ... GHETTO.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Miami. Miami was just..........nothing like what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.