Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Atlanta. I moved to Atlanta when I was almost 10 and I was told how it was the "greatest", well not literally in those words, but being the "big city" in Georgia. Well, a decade has passed and as soon as I can, I am leaving this place. I find it overrated, especially after the Olympics. Atlanta is full of hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Atlanta. I used to live there. The city was so hyped up and I was sucked into the hype, relocating there on a whim, but I found myself throwing myself at Atlanta and all it had to offer, exploring and just finding asking "is this all that there is?" It just seemed so bland and underwhelming. I didn't understand what the big deal was about the place.
This is how I felt when I visited Atlanta. I was expecting a southeastern Chicago or an American Toronto. I knew people who had visited or lived there and they talked about what a great city it was. I was so disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM

160 posts, read 517,942 times
Houston and Orlando come to mind as being way over blown and more of a sprawling cookie-cutter-house, strip mall type of city, rather than having genuine character.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,608 times
I can't stand Chicago or Las Vegas. I really thought I would love Vegas. I was expecting fun, silly and well... sin city. I couldn't believe how there were just as many children as adults there and the only sin in the city is how horribly overpriced and low quality everything is. You would think such a busy and touristy place would have some kind of recycling program too! Filthy.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Did I already answer this? Denver. I lived there for a year and I think it's one of the most boring, overrated cities in the country. I just don't get it. Take away the mountains and what do you have?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:09 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Portland, Oregon, most glorified overated city I have ever been too. I can see all this homelessness, begging and freeloading in 3rd world countries. I'll be damned if Im going to pay all these taxes to a city that behaves like this one does. Streets all ripped up, bldgs going up everywhere, yet the economy is never strong here and they don't deal with their social woes. There is just a tremendous amount of homelessness here for such a little place, and they seem content with that here. I cannot see how they can have all this reconstruction ,spending all this tax money and have this much poverty in ones face here. They have their motto of Keep Portland Weird, well they should have another one to tell all those that beg and freeload here. GET A JOB.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:20 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
I was shocked that I was unimpressed by Denver and San Diego. I had such high expectations of these places. I also can't say that I didn't like the areas where these cities were situated, I just happened to be unimpressed by the cities themselves.

I expected to be blown away by Denver's natural beauty instead I found a pretty sprawled out mainly suburban place in the middle of a rather flat and unimpressive valley. Denver is not at the foothill of the mountains, it's a valley city surrounded by mountains sort of like Las Vegas (although both cities are different otherwise). Denver downtown definitely had a dead feel to it as if nobody actually lived there. I went to Denver a couple of times, once for my friend's b-day party and another time stopped there on my way to Vail. Both times (spring and winter) this place failed to impress me. The only reason I enjoyed my stay in the city is because of the people I was with, the city was pretty boring otherwise. I didn't get what the hype was about, perhaps it's a lovely place to live in, but as a tourist I wouldn't be back. I did like Boulder, CO though and mountain resort places as well as cute little mining towns on the way to skiing. They seemed to have more character than the city of Denver itself.

San Diego area was very nice and I was impressed driving through La Jolla and some canyon communities. I wasn't impressed with the downtown area at all no matter how much our friends who live there tried to 'sell' it to us as a best urban/beach environment to live in. I found San Diego downtown poorly planned and dead. There simply weren't any people on the streets and the city didn't looked lived-in. There were some yuppie synthetic condo communities being built, but nobody seemed to actually live there. Gas lamp district was fun at night, but it wasn't enough to make me feel like it was a true urban heaven I was made to believe.

I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. The higher they are the more disappointed you'll get.
I very much agree with Denver and would add CO Springs to that list as well. I can see your point on San Diego's downtown/ gas lamp district feeling a little dead, but I think that's because everyone was at the beach- I loved the laid back feel of San Diego's people/ places and the weather/ all of the beautiful scenery around...you are right that the city wasn't "vibrant" or "fast-paced" by any means, but it seemed like it didn't want or need to be that way - kind of like a chilled out response to the madness of LA.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Dallas. I thought it might be ok. Just one giant boring city in the middle of nowhere. I will not be returning.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM

302 posts, read 933,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I thought San Fran was filthy. never seen so many beggars. I also had a STRANGE experience while visiting. I was OUTSIDE walking down the street smoking a cigarette. Also on the sidewalk were 2 gay men darn near "doing it' right there in public. A San Fran cop comes up and instead of making "Adam and Steve" move thier tryst out of sight, he came up to me and wrote me a $50 ticket for the smoking! If I had to choose between having a visitor to my city see someone smoking a cig or two queens sucking face in public--give me the cig smoker!
Well with your bigoted remarks I have to say I'm happy you got a $50. It's funny, because if were a straight couple "sucking face in public" you probably wouldn't have noticed, or if it were a lesbian couple you would have probably gotten a cheap thrill.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Dallas. I thought it might be ok. Just one giant boring city in the middle of nowhere. I will not be returning.
Hahaha! We think alike. I don't think there is any city in Texas that has its own unique personality. Dallas may have businessmen in cowboy hats but that doesn't mean the city is all that great. There really isn't anything significant about that place.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 PM

108 posts, read 318,794 times
Default Dallas is Underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Hahaha! We think alike. I don't think there is any city in Texas that has its own unique personality. Dallas may have businessmen in cowboy hats but that doesn't mean the city is all that great. There really isn't anything significant about that place.
I would agree in the sense that if you just hang out in the suburbs, you won't see anything but a lot of restaurants and shopping (more than you'd see about anywhere). However, the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth both have some top rated art museums, the best indie movie theaters in the country (Anglelika and others), good restaurants, some nice parks, and it gets about any band/artist that's touring. It's the 4th largest city in the country (metro area) and so you can find a little bit of everything. If you going there looking for what you think you'll hate about it, then you'll find some of it, but there is much that is often overlooked. It also has numerous and beautiful live oak trees that keep the city looking pretty green in the wintertime. The weather is very comfortable from Thanksgiving to Easter, when much of the rest of the country is unbearably cold. If you don't like the prairie terrain though, you will probably find it kind of ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.