Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
What about Hartford and Providence, the two other major cities of the Northeast Megalopolis, which both of them are between Boston and NYC, just like Philadelphia and Baltimore are between NYC and DC, but on the northern side? Do they have a large Puerto Rican, Irish and Italian populations like the other 5 cities?
Yes, those cities have large Puerto Rican, Irish, and Italian populations as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
All 5 cities have their Irish population in the top 2, Italian population in the top 4 and their Puerto Rican population in the top 3 for Hispanic groups. Seems like those cities aren't that far off demographically than some people make it out to be.
Yes but there is a big difference between 15% Irish (Boston) and 5% (DC)
Not to mention Boston city is not an accurate representation of the whole metro some town. South of Boston are 40%+ Irish, Lawrence, MA is 2/3rds Dominican.
Compared to DC which doesn't have towns but unincorporated villages around it ( or in VA independent cities)

Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
What about Hartford and Providence, the two other major cities of the Northeast Megalopolis, which both of them are between Boston and NYC, just like Philadelphia and Baltimore are between NYC and DC, but on the northern side? Do they have a large Puerto Rican, Irish and Italian populations like the other 5 cities? Why are these two cities usually skipped when people are talking about major cities in the Northeastern Megalopolis unlike Philadelphia and Baltimore?
They're skipped because they're smaller. Hartford and Providence resemble NYC/Boston and to a lesser extent Philly demographically rather than Baltimore and DC.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Ask someone from the northeast. Once you go west of the hudson river, the atmosphere, accents and weather change drastically. There is no doubt that the islands of ny and new england are the northeast but nj, de, pa and upstate ny are northeast lite, maybe more similar to the midwest and you can include maryland and nova with that i guess in today's time. Based on many of the opinions in this thread, you might as well say the northeast starts once you get to the southern edge of the chesapeake bay.

Then again, people from md and nova might not even agree with that either, because the southern accent is stronger in the southern chesapeake bay area, even tho many people from dc, md and nova have southern accents too where you can't really tell the difference what part of the va/md area they originated.
Tell me you're joking about the very first part of that, about west of the Hudson...

Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ lol a little but depending on who you are and where you are, it starts getting a lil country once you cross over to new jersey.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ lol a little but depending on who you are and where you are, it starts getting a lil country once you cross over to new jersey.
A bit further than just west of the Hudson though. Morris County westward gets more "country" if you will (but barely until Hunterdon and Warren) but Union, Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Passaic, even Middlesex? No way. You also forgot about the city of Philadelphia west of the Hudson, and its satellite cities like Camden (terrible as it is). It is definitely not all "country" west of the Hudson, and there is "country" east of it. Your view frankly sounds like a very typical, myopic NYC one. I wouldn't be surprised if you're from the city, especially since you wrote off NJ so easily, even though Hudson County just west of the Hudson (obviously on the river) is one of the densest, most urban counties in the country.

There are "country" parts of New England (north and east of the Hudson) that you didn't seem to count. The northeast can and does have more rural areas, but unlike what many seem to think, rural does not equal Southern.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 PM

10,111 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yes but there is a big difference between 15% Irish (Boston) and 5% (DC)
Not to mention Boston city is not an accurate representation of the whole metro some town. South of Boston are 40%+ Irish, Lawrence, MA is 2/3rds Dominican.
Compared to DC which doesn't have towns but unincorporated villages around it ( or in VA independent cities)
I will say that DC has incorporated towns surrounding it. 2 counties in the Baltimore metropolitan area have no incorporated town: Baltimore and Howard counties.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
All 5 cities have their Irish population in the top 2, Italian population in the top 4 and their Puerto Rican population in the top 3 for Hispanic groups. Seems like those cities aren't that far off demographically than some people make it out to be.
You're delusional. Look how small in pure numbers and percentage the Italian, Puerto Rican and Dominican populations are in Baltimore and DC compared to the true northeastern cities like Philly, Boston, Providence, Jersey city etc. Its a big difference. I don't understand how you cannot analyze the data right in front of you and avoid the obvious fact that DC and Baltimore are very different ethically compared to the northeastern cities. You cannot dispute this and the numbers don't lie.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As someone who has lived in the New York metro region part of NJ her whole life, I think I know more about the supposed "NY/NJ" marriage I apparently am obsessed with than you do. ... followed by lots of detritus.
As someone who lived in NY for almost a decade and worked in NJ for half of it, I see your opinion and raise you one.

I frankly don't care what you think you know. From an NJ perspective, I'm sure you think that NJ/NY are married because, well frankly, who wouldn't rather think of oneself as being more aligned with NYC than Philadelphia (I love Philly, BTW, before I get bashed by someone from there, but it isn't NYC).

But, a perspective that aligns NJ with PA, DE, and MD is just as valid as one that aligns it with NY [and I'm sure Ben Franklin would tell you so if he were still alive, saying that (paraphrasing here) "NJ is an hour glass open at both ends, with much of the activity/energy flowing to NYC and Philly], much as that may crumple your misplaced sense of self-worth. Cheers!

Last edited by rranger; 08-08-2014 at 05:16 AM..

Old 08-08-2014, 05:12 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're skipped because they're smaller. Hartford and Providence resemble NYC/Boston and to a lesser extent Philly demographically rather than Baltimore and DC.
Well put, and I might add that with each passing day Hartford gets smaller and smaller and smaller (like all of the CT "ciites"). Both Providence and Hartford have huge Hispanic populations relative to their size (as does Springfield, though it hasn't been mentioned, Worcester less so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.