Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 01:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I'm not going to argue with you but nj is a lot different from nyc to a native New Yorker, even if a lot of Italians live in nj.
I completely disagree with this.

Most NYC-area Italians don't even live in NYC. They're out in places like Central NJ. I don't really see a difference if they move to NJ or to Long Island, it's all the same metro area.

They usually pick an area based on where they're coming from (so for example, Staten Islanders will go to Central NJ, as Long Island would make no sense). It's just a function of geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:36 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Sorry but the Northeast is everything from PA/DE North and East.

DE is a northeast state because 70% of the population or so is in Greater Philly, which is Northeast.
Even though DE south of Dover (or even Dover) is more mid-Atlantic.

MD/DC/VA are mid-atlantic states.
They do not have a historical record of being in the North, their traditional culture is more southern than northern, but not really either, economically they are more tied to the Northeast corridor than the deep south.
Hence, why they are mid-atlantic.

Mid-Atlantic=Not quite north, not quite south=100% NOVA/DC/MD.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post

Mid-Atlantic=Not quite north, not quite south=100% NOVA/DC/MD.
To me, Mid-Atlantic is the Northeast.

For one, no one says they're from the Mid-Atlantic. For another, if you include Mid-Atlantic, then Philly and NYC have to be included to, as they are technically Mid-Atlantic. And finally, we're talking "which areas are most similar in 2014". In 2014 a Maryland suburb of DC isn't really very different than a Connecticut suburb of NYC. Greenwich, CT doesn't look, feel or act that different from Bethesda, MD.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
To me, Mid-Atlantic is the Northeast.

For one, no one says they're from the Mid-Atlantic. For another, if you include Mid-Atlantic, then Philly and NYC have to be included to, as they are technically Mid-Atlantic. And finally, we're talking "which areas are most similar in 2014". In 2014 a Maryland suburb of DC isn't really very different than a Connecticut suburb of NYC. Greenwich, CT doesn't look, feel or act that different from Bethesda, MD.
This is where it gets to be semantics.

To me:

Northeast=New England+Tri State NY (NY/NJ)+tri State Philly (PA/DE)
Mid-Atlantic=DMV
South: NC to Texas

Northeast Corridor=DC to Boston (and really Portland, Maine to NOVA).

If we say NY and Philly are mid-atlantic, than we are saying the only major metro area in the Northeast is Boston, which is wrong.

You are right though that yes, a DC suburb in NOVA or MD has much more in common, demographically, with Fairfield County than with Roanoake, VA.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
In 2014 a Maryland suburb of DC isn't really very different than a Connecticut suburb of NYC. Greenwich, CT doesn't look, feel or act that different from Bethesda, MD.
I'm glad to see someone point this out. There are posters on here who will ignore that places like Bethesda or Potomac exist in Maryland. For some reason, they will also ignore that 70% of Maryland's population is not African American. They're the wrong demographic, I guess.

They also don't like that Maryland has the highest % of millionaires of any state in the U.S. But hey, what can I do?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-10-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 06:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
This is where it gets to be semantics.

To me:

Northeast=New England+Tri State NY (NY/NJ)+tri State Philly (PA/DE)
Mid-Atlantic=DMV
South: NC to Texas

Northeast Corridor=DC to Boston (and really Portland, Maine to NOVA).

If we say NY and Philly are mid-atlantic, than we are saying the only major metro area in the Northeast is Boston, which is wrong.

You are right though that yes, a DC suburb in NOVA or MD has much more in common, demographically, with Fairfield County than with Roanoake, VA.
This is not right. The Mid-Atlantic has long been part of the Northeast since colonial times. Only sometime in the last 100 years or so has the term seemed to spread down to the Chesapeake Bay region.

I used before the example of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools which was founded in Pennsylvania in 1887. The name at that time was the Association of the Colleges and Secondary Schools of the Middle States and Maryland. Note it says AND MARYLAND. Probably because at that time Maryland was not yet considered one of the Middle States.

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention that there are 4 large regions in this country - West, Midwest, Northeast and the South. You are treating the Mid-Atlantic as a fifth region which only covers 2 or 3 states. It would be too small to be its own region.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
For one, no one says they're from the Mid-Atlantic.
That's not true. That's what most people from the DMV say.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm glad to see someone point this out. There are posters on here who will ignore that places like Bethesda or Potomac exist in Maryland. For some reason, they will also ignore that 70% of Maryland's population is not African American. They're the wrong demographic, I guess.
There are also places like North Decatur in Atlanta. Very affluent. Very Jewish. Very liberal (many are NYC transplants). Is it northeastern?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ae3kQBjwqU

Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are also places like North Decatur in Atlanta. Very affluent. Very Jewish. Very liberal (many are NYC transplants). Is it northeastern?
Nothing against Atlanta, but it is not close to the level of affluence and liberalism of the DC metro area. We're looking at the overall picture here, not pick and choose. This is a whole other ball game.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Nothing against Atlanta, but it is not close to the level of overall affluence and liberalism of the DC metro area. This is a whole other ball game.
You are becoming the East Coast version of 18Montclair.

Quote:
We're looking at the overall picture here, not pick and choose.
Ha. That's funny.

Since you're so obsessed with affluence, why do you live in Silver Spring? That's considered the ghetto by the people with real money who live in places like Kensington, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Great Falls, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.