Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:12 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yeah, I was going to mention Detroit. Lots of beautiful, classic architecture that needs some love and restoration.

Honestly though, there aren't that many cities that truly haven't seen any kind of urban renewal. The wrecking ball spared no one in the 50s and 60s, unfortunately.
We can never predict future trends. The "New Urbanism" movement going on today could lead to the construction of thousands of buildings that will be the slums of tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Baltimore, definitely.

I know it's subjective, but I would not call Detroit, on the whole, very distinctive in terms of architecture.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:05 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Baltimore, definitely.

I know it's subjective, but I would not call Detroit, on the whole, very distinctive in terms of architecture.
Why is that?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Baltimore, definitely.

I beg to differ. Some of the country's finest classic skyscrapers are in Detroit. Are you sure you even know what Detroit looks like?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:34 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Baltimore, definitely.

Quote:
I beg to differ. Some of the country's finest classic skyscrapers are in Detroit. Are you sure you even know what Detroit looks like?
Are you asserting that it doesn't mesh with the media portrayal of smoldering rubble?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why is that?
Because Detroit is mostly undistinguished, working class housing for auto workers. I don't see what is so architecturally distinct about Detroit neighborhoods, compared to other cities.

Really the distinct takeaway from Detroit is the extreme level of blight. There are some nice old buildings downtown, but every big, old city in the U.S. has nice old buildings downtown.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Uh, I grew up in suburban Detroit, so yeah?

And, yeah, there are some nice old highrises in downtown Detroit. Why would that make the city of Detroit, overall, architecturally unique? What big, old, U.S. city doesn't have nice old highrises downtown?

If anything, Detroit would be more unique if it didn't have nice old buildings downtown. Now that would be different.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Because Detroit is mostly undistinguished, working class housing for auto workers. I don't see what is so architecturally distinct about Detroit neighborhoods, compared to other cities.

Really the distinct takeaway from Detroit is the extreme level of blight. There are some nice old buildings downtown, but every big, old city in the U.S. has nice old buildings downtown.
There are actually quite a few intact Old Money neighborhoods within the city as well. So, there is some housing variety there as well. Detroit Neighborhoods

Neighborhoods in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-24-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Quote:
Uh, I grew up in suburban Detroit, so yeah?

And, yeah, there are some nice old highrises in downtown Detroit. Why would that make the city of Detroit, overall, architecturally unique? What big, old, U.S. city doesn't have nice old highrises downtown?

If anything, Detroit would be more unique if it didn't have nice old buildings downtown. Now that would be different.
Detroit has some of the most unique structures of its era. You won't find its massive, imposing Art Deco skyscrapers like the Fisher and Guardian buildings anywhere except Chicago, LA, and NYC. You can't find any station like Michigan Station except Grand Central itself. And plenty of other buildings are unique too-the Fox Theater, the Masonic Temple building, the few remaining incredibly opulent mansions of Brush Park, the Palmer Park apartments. Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are actually quite a few intact Old Money neighborhoods within the city as well. So, there is some housing variety there as well.
Ok, and again, in which city are there not such neighborhoods?

And you're exaggerating. There are no real "old money" neighborhoods in the city limits. There are a few clusters of old houses that are still nice and semi-affluent (Palmer Woods and Indian Village) but neither area is old money or particularly rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.