Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:05 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I don't think it's hyperbole. Find something like this anywhere else. I dare you.

Good luck. And if you somehow find strikingly similar architecture with a similar history, I'll go digging for some more prime examples. It took me a grand total of 10 minutes to find all this, there's definitely more.
They are great pix, but unless you told me were Detroit, they could be any Midwestern city.

Kansas City: https://www.google.com/search?q=kans...w&ved=0CDsQ7Ak

St Louis: https://www.google.com/search?sclien...77.n3-NKKs5Xp4

Cincinnati: https://www.google.com/search?sclien...59.TwVVvzIoD8k

There is some great architecture in the Midwest, but I feel your claims that Detroit is on a some kind of significantly higher teir above these other cities is complete overstatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

There is some great architecture in the Midwest, but I feel your claims that Detroit is on a some kind of significantly higher teir above these other cities is complete overstatement.
How? The title of the thread is "Architecturally attractive urban cores that are still blighted". Are you claiming Cinci, St. Louis, and Kansas City have blighted downtowns?

Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
How? The title of the thread is "Architecturally attractive urban cores that are still blighted". Are you claiming Cinci, St. Louis, and Kansas City have blighted downtowns?
It's this post I feel is overstatement:
Quote:
Detroit has some of the most unique structures of its era. You won't find its massive, imposing Art Deco skyscrapers like the Fisher and Guardian buildings anywhere except Chicago, LA, and NYC. You can't find any station like Michigan Station except Grand Central itself. And plenty of other buildings are unique too-the Fox Theater, the Masonic Temple building, the few remaining incredibly opulent mansions of Brush Park, the Palmer Park apartments. Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world.
Total overstatement.

Aside from that, if anyone wants to claim that Detroit is the Queen of Blighted Cites, then go for the crown.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
They are great pix, but unless you told me were Detroit, they could be any Midwestern city.

Kansas City: https://www.google.com/search?q=kans...w&ved=0CDsQ7Ak

St Louis: https://www.google.com/search?sclien...77.n3-NKKs5Xp4

Cincinnati: https://www.google.com/search?sclien...59.TwVVvzIoD8k

Those examples you pulled from each city are literally the only examples within those cities. I would know, I live in one's metro. StL has literally no major Art Deco structures, and its decorative 20s-era buildings are largely concentrated in Midtown on Grand-and can be counted on one hand. Kansas City has a bit more, but not a lot. Cincy, the same. Detroit's pinnacle was the 20s and 30s, so it has better and more examples of Art Deco and Late 20s architecture than any of these cities (I dare say it has more than all 3 combined).

Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Those examples you pulled from each city are literally the only examples within those cities. I would know, I live in one's metro. StL has literally no major Art Deco structures, and its decorative 20s-era buildings are largely concentrated in Midtown on Grand-and can be counted on one hand. Kansas City has a bit more, but not a lot. Cincy, the same. Detroit's pinnacle was the 20s and 30s, so it has better and more examples of Art Deco and Late 20s architecture than any of these cities (I dare say it has more than all 3 combined).
Not sure if you took a look at the links. One building?

I can't tell if you're trolling or homering. If you honestly think "Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world," then we'll just agree to disagree.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you took a look at the links. One building?

I can't tell if you're trolling or homering. If you honestly think "Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world," then we'll just agree to disagree.
'Lou's not a troll or a Detroit homer. Do you accuse all forumers who make counterpoints to your statements of being trolling homers? You've clearly never been to Detroit, you stated yourself you wouldn't have recognized the buildings unless you were told. So I'm not sure how you can coronate yourself as an expert.

Detroit has long been heralded by architecture enthusiasts and experts for its collection of Neo-gothic skyscrapers, it's not a secret. It shouldn't surprise you that people on a website devoted to cities and architecture might have a few people who have an appreciation for it. The title of this thread was pretty much tailor made for Detroit.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I think Detroit has some great architecture but I have to say even my city would have decent examples of the images posted on nearly every account plus many others

I have no issue with calling out the very nice even great architecture but I don't find it to be singular or defining. Great stuff regardless I think the vim and vigor of the original statement was a tad sensational to be honest

Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 PM

I think what makes Detroit unique in this instance is that it's skyline is not diluted. Places like Philly continued to gain modern towers and still are. The growth of Detroit's Skyline slowed considerably after the 1950s. You find some modern towers in Detroit, and it's skyline is dominated by the behemoth Ren-Cen. The towers in Detroits CBD are almost a time capsule. Not only were there a lot of them built, they were taller than most of their peers built during the same period.

Of course you're going to find examples in peer cities. The amount of buildings the heights they were built to and the preservation of their details, I do feel make Detroit unique in this instance.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
You've clearly never been to Detroit, you stated yourself you wouldn't have recognized the buildings unless you were told.
There you go being wrong. I've been to all 50 states. I've been to Detroit. I've also been to St Louis and Cincy. I lived in KC.
Quote:
Do you accuse all forumers who make counterpoints to your statements of being trolling homers?
No. I'm just calling this statement out as over the top:
Quote:
Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world.
Quote:
So I'm not sure how you can coronate yourself as an expert.
An expert at what? At declaring which city is the most architecturally unique in the world? Nope, I'm not. Are you? Is Outtathelouburbs? I'm just a poster who has been around and has some opinions. I would argue that my city, Philadelphia, which has extant architecture dating from from the 18th Century all the way through today is more interesting architecturallly than a city which had a 4 decade heyday.

(my pix)

But who knew? I had never heard that Detroit is the equivalent of some "world heritage site" for architecture until I clicked on this link. Live and learn.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 PM

I've had to be in Philly more than a few times and there are parts of it where it's every bit the thriving American city. There are also parts where it's like "man this place is a sh**hole." That shining gem has more than a few spots that still need polishing.

It feels like you're taking this as a competition. If this were a beauty pageant it would be among girls with patches over their eyes and select teeth. Noone said Detroit was better than Philly. Noone said Detroit was better than St. Louis, Cinci, or KC. Once more the title of this thread is "Architecturally attractive urban cores that are still blighted" . Yes Detroit is the queen of blighted cities as you put it. It's unfortunate, and they are taking strides to change it. And YES Detroit does have a collection of beautiful buildings mixed in with its blight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.