Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states are South Atlantic?
Delaware 11 16.42%
Maryland 16 23.88%
West Virginia 9 13.43%
Virginia 46 68.66%
North Carolina 61 91.04%
South Carolina 61 91.04%
Georgia 61 91.04%
Florida 58 86.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:39 AM

342 posts, read 510,958 times

Advertisements

The Atlantic the southern states bordering the Atlantic coastline. I think poll is very accurate. Virginia being the northernmost southern state on the coast marks the north of the south Atlantic and the region extends all the way down to Florida. Maryland and Delaware are the northeast, definitely not the South Atlantic, and West Virginia is landlocked so it is just out of the picture altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
The Atlantic the southern states bordering the Atlantic coastline. I think poll is very accurate. Virginia being the northernmost southern state on the coast marks the north of the south Atlantic and the region extends all the way down to Florida. Maryland and Delaware are the northeast, definitely not the South Atlantic, and West Virginia is landlocked so it is just out of the picture altogether.
Maryland's Northern border is not that far from Virginia's northernmost tip.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
These all conform to the Census Bureau definition.

The Used Book Lover's Guide to the South Atlantic States: Maryland, Washington, Dc, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida (Used Book Lover's Guide Series): David S. Siegel, Susan Siegel: 9780963411280: Amazon.com: Book

Handbook of the Linguistic Atlas of the Middle and South Atlantic States - William A. Kretzschmar - Google Books

https://dph.georgia.gov/sites/dph.ge...D_CF%26F08.pdf

South-Atlantic Telecommuting & Professional Part-Time Jobs

2014 - 2015 South Atlantic Marathon Calendar

Ecommerce Jobs in South Atlantic (DE, MD, DC, VA, WV, NC, SC, GA, FL)

http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/downlo...es/region3.pdf

Four Terps Selected to South Atlantic All-Region Team - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site

The South Atlantic Quarterly - Google Books

The South Atlantic Coast and Piedmont | Milkweed Editions
I don't know what's sadder: that you actually spent the time to pull up every link possible that places MD and DE in the South Atlantic, or that you keep repeating yourself over 15,000 posts. Like yet another poll indicates, no one considers Maryland or Delaware southern except for you and a select few like Eddieolskool (who apparently is in the Baltimore forum asking basic questions about the city ) and Wolf39us. Get a life.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Maryland's Northern border is not that far from Virginia's northernmost tip.
? And New Jersey's northern border is not far from Connecticut's northernmost tip. Is it New England now? Go back to the Baltimore forum and keep asking basic questions about the city, maybe you'll learn something.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
? And New Jersey's northern border is not far from Connecticut's northernmost tip. Is it New England now? Go back to the Baltimore forum and keep asking basic questions about the city, maybe you'll learn something.
You love spewing the personal attacks. It's like you take it personally when someone calls Maryland the South.

Besides, not having been to Baltimore is irrelevant. I've never been to Germany but I can still say it's in Central Europe. Likewise, I've never been to India but I know it's in South Asia. The whole notion of "you've never been there so you can't comment where it is located" is a very strange argument. As if I don't have eyes or the ability to read maps or something.

No, Maryland is not the South. It just

*is south of the Mason Dixon line
*is a state whose regional accent shares more in common with Southern dialects than Northeastern ones (I don't see anyone in NY saying "Murlin")
*has Southern history
*has Southern style food similar to VA's
*has ethnic groups similar to other Southern states (oh wait, I remember just how "Italian" the place is!)
*is included in the South in the US Census

Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I only voted for the states that would not have any second guessing and that's FL, GA, the Carolinas, and VA. I can understand an argument made for MD.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
You love spewing the personal attacks. It's like you take it personally when someone calls Maryland the South.

Besides, not having been to Baltimore is irrelevant. I've never been to Germany but I can still say it's in Central Europe. Likewise, I've never been to India but I know it's in South Asia. The whole notion of "you've never been there so you can't comment where it is located" is a very strange argument. As if I don't have eyes or the ability to read maps or something.

*is a state whose regional accent shares more in common with Southern dialects than Northeastern ones (I don't see anyone in NY saying "Murlin&quot
*has Southern history
*has ethnic groups similar to other Southern states (oh wait, I remember just how "Italian" the place is!)
An extremely ignorant assessment, but what would you expect from a guy who has never actually lived ere. You can pull up anything you want on the internet. Culturally, MD and DE are very northern. MD is about as southern as Columbus, OH. Mason Dixon line is irrelevant. ITs from the colonial days to separate a border dispute between PA and MD. The dialects in Maryland are clearly in the north in every dialect map. what southern history? You mean overwhelmingly fighting for the Union against the southern states? Voting for Lincoln in 1854? Voting to end slavery in 1864? Being the last state end slavery by a vote like the northern states did? Then you try to make it sound like Baltimore has no white ethnics. I can forgive you since you 've never been to Baltimore, but there are loads of white ethnics on par with Philadelphia, however Baltimore has been subject to white flight and white ethnics have scattered to places like Catonsville, Towson, etc. Let me know where in Virginia there are large amish communities and German Americans. Where are there concentrations of Greeks and Poles. Where are the Asians in Virginia outside of NOVA. Didn;t think so. LEt me jnow when you actually move to Baltimore and have some clue of what you are talking about.As you can see on all the ancestry maps, there is a clearly delineated cultural boundary between MD/VA with all of the ethnic groups. Your entire argument is rubbish and taken from a stance that you desperately want MD to be some hole in the wall. Take a piece ofadvice: don't move here because we don't want you ignorant uninformed attitude. If you think you are moving to some southern city think again. Yes it is in the south in the Census Bureau? So what? The Census Bureau decided not to move MD and DE to the northeast in the 1960's because it would be to much work. Just an incredibly ignorant, uninformed post from a wanna-be Marylander. Not wanted here.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Lol @ people still trying to tie Baltimore to the south. I love the south and I know that Baltimore isn't part of it. Give it a rest.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:

*is a state whose regional accent shares more in common with Southern dialects than Northeastern ones (I don't see anyone in NY saying "Murlin")
*has Southern history
Not having been to Baltimore is relevant to the topic at hand. Also, southernerns don't say "murlin" either. The black Chicago accent is more southern than blacks Baltimore accent. There are still noticeable traces of Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas in the Chicago accent. History... lol. Slaves & segregation? NYC

http://www.theroot.com/articles/cult...ican_help.html

http://slavenorth.com/newjersey.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.