Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What a bunch of BS. Southerners by and large are the most patriotic people in the country, and the military is largely made up of Southerners. And as far as states talking about seceding maybe you should look at the lists of the states that were talking about secession. it wasn't just Southern states. And it was just a bunch of hot air to begin with. Nobody intended to secede.

It is laughable that you say southern people hate this country when actually they are the ones that love the country. Your lists of ignorance is the one that goes on and on. You need a little education. You speak about things you have no knowledge. It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought an idiot that to open it and remove all doubt.

Face it, despite what you claimed in another post about the South having liberals, conservatives, etc.
No, there are no liberals in the South. Very, very few white southern liberals. Not one statewide office is now held by a democrat, and never will be for the long forseeable future. Minority democratic voters are cordoned off into gerrymandered isolated boxes that are overwhelmed by the white southern vote in statewide elections.

I thought this article worth repeating. Not sure if you saw this in the Daily Beast.

Dems, It

Some quotes:

Dems, It’s Time to Dump Dixie

And that is what Louisiana, and almost the entire South, has become. The victims of the particular form of euthanasia it enforces with such glee are tolerance, compassion, civic decency, trans-racial community, the crucial secular values on which this country was founded… I could keep this list going. But I think you get the idea. Practically the whole region has rejected nearly everything that’s good about this country and has become just one big nuclear waste site of choleric, and extremely racialized, resentment. A fact made even sadder because on the whole they’re such nice people! (I truly mean that.)

But it’s not just a question of numbers. The main point is this: Trying to win Southern seats is not worth the ideological cost for Democrats. As Memphis Rep. Steve Cohen recently told my colleague Ben Jacobs, the Democratic Party cannot (and I’d say should not) try to calibrate its positions to placate Southern mores: “It’s come to pass, and really a lot of white Southerners vote on gays and guns and God, and we’re not going to ever be too good on gays and guns and God.”

Cohen thinks maybe some economic populism could work, and that could be true in limited circumstances. But I think even that is out the window now. In the old days, drenched in racism as the South was, it was economically populist. Glass and Steagall, those eponymous bank regulators, were both Southern members of Congress. But today, as we learned in Sunday’s Times, state attorneys general, many in the South, are colluding with energy companies to fight federal regulation of energy plants.

It’s lost. It’s gone. A different country. And maybe someday it really should be. I’ll save that for another column. Until that day comes, the Democratic Party shouldn’t bother trying. If they get no votes from the region, they will in turn owe it nothing, and in time the South, which is the biggest welfare moocher in the world in terms of the largesse it gets from the more advanced and innovative states, will be on its own, which is what Southerners always say they want anyway.

The comments were priceless. But this one from a guy in Texas makes a good point that we should all really start to think about rationally. The USA is done. North and South do not belong together anymore. It's over. We are just too far different from each other.

Comment from Marvintyson

I have to agree with one point here. The South should be a separate country.
Seriously, we are separate already in everything but name. Look at the language in political and social sites from around the country. The author, while saying that Southerners are basically good people, decry us as a group of racist rednecks. At the same time conservatives bitterly denounce liberals as "wanting to destroy America".

I am 65 years old and have been politically active all my life. And, the battle cry of both liberals and conservatives after each and every loss is "We must take back America!"
But, who shall we take it back from?

Are Americans of different political persuasion or different social mores not American?
We have gone too far. Like a couple that has grown so far in different directions that the marriage has become unsalvageable, we should separate for the good of future generations before this bitterness grows.

If we go our separate ways now, we can part as friends who were once countrymen. But, if we stay yoked together, each trying to force the other to live "our way", we will become like members of a chain gang looking only for who can strike the most damaging blow.

Texas has a very large and growing separatist movement, so this is what I propose; Let us cast a ballot in a free and fair referendum on Independence, and if it passes (it will) we can sit down at the negotiating table as friends and settle things like free trade, borders (hopefully with a time of absolute freedom of movement, so that liberal Texans can leave if the desire, and conservatives from elsewhere can move here), mutual defense, currency, etc.

I understand that the emotional side of this is hard to wrap our heads around, I come from a very long line of military vets, and I was an infantry platoon leader with the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam, so it was hard for me too. And, I know there will be folks reading this who can't get by this. They will say "We settled that in 1865!"

But cooler heads must prevail on this, it's the only way to restore freedom and personal liberty to us all. I have no desire to force anyone to live "my way", and I don't think my fellow Texans do either.
Think about it with an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's because the former Confederate states have a sense of defeat, unlike the Union states. The South was devastated. Richmond, the Capital of the Confederacy, was destroyed. The whole state of Virginia was stained with blood, most of the war was fought in that state. Sherman ripped Georgia and South Carolina to bits, burning Atlanta and Columbia. Yes, Gettysburg was in Pennsylvania and Antietam was in Maryland, but most of the fighting took place on southern soil.

From Shelby Foote:

"As a Southerner I would say one of the main importances of the war is that Southerners have a sense of defeat which none of the rest of the country has. You see in the movie Patton, the actor who plays Patton saying, “We Americans have never lost a war.” That’s a rather amazing statement for him to make as Patton because Patton’s grandfather was in Lee’s army of Northern Virginia and he certainly lost a war."
Genuinely not trying to sound harsh, but should anyone else feel bad? That's what happens when you secede and try to create a new country while the country you left does not officially recognize any of this.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you're a Southerner with an accent and are living outside the South, do people treat you like you're a buffoon?
No.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:09 PM

733 posts, read 939,337 times
I don't think people really give a **** in LA. I mean everything else being equal.

But I'm sure in some places people will look down on you for an accent.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
I don't think people really give a **** in LA. I mean everything else being equal.

But I'm sure in some places people will look down on you for an accent.
Yeah, it's mainly just a North/South thing. People on the West Coast, or at least in Southern CA really don't care much one way or the other. Maybe some friendly ribbing, but nothing mean-spirited.

I think accents are a bigger deal in the Eastern half of the nation and people are judged more harshly for them than they are out West.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:42 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Face it, despite what you claimed in another post about the South having liberals, conservatives, etc.
No, there are no liberals in the South.
After reading this, I couldn't read further..

FYI, I'm a southern white liberal. I also happen to know several more southern white liberals. We do exist.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:15 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

FYI, I'm a southern white liberal. I also happen to know several more southern white liberals. We do exist.
Seriously. So am I. Oh, and Jimmy Carter is still alive.

That sounded like sarcasm but I'm serious. It pisses me off, too.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-14-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:53 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

You have to realize who you are dealing with. This guys post is so ignorant it is pitiful. He must never get away from his TV.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
I can't say that no one here in the North would look down on someone with a Southern accent (I sure wouldn't - I like Southerners and love Southern accents). But I can say this: anyone who would look down on you for it is someone whose opinion is not worth even paying attention to.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Everyone hates on the South but the most of the country keeps moving here.. I find that ironic.
They find great fun in shaming and destroying the most culturally rich region in the entire country as they swarm it. You can witness this right here on these forums. I can picture the sick psychotic grins on their faces when I read many of their comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.