Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,495,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Rebs?
I have a friend from CT who calls me a "Reb" sometimes. He's only joking, but the Union soldiers called the Confederate soldiers "Rebs" or "Rebels" during the Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:14 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,782 times
Yea but the civil war is not on the forefront of anyone's minds in the Midwest, Northeast or the West coast though, imo.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:18 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,016,642 times
But to answer the question of this thread, Yes.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Yea but the civil war is not on the forefront of anyone's minds in the Midwest, Northeast or the West coast though, imo.
That's because the former Confederate states have a sense of defeat, unlike the Union states. The South was devastated. Richmond, the Capital of the Confederacy, was destroyed. The whole state of Virginia was stained with blood, most of the war was fought in that state. Sherman ripped Georgia and South Carolina to bits, burning Atlanta and Columbia. Yes, Gettysburg was in Pennsylvania and Antietam was in Maryland, but most of the fighting took place on southern soil.

From Shelby Foote:

"As a Southerner I would say one of the main importances of the war is that Southerners have a sense of defeat which none of the rest of the country has. You see in the movie Patton, the actor who plays Patton saying, “We Americans have never lost a war.” That’s a rather amazing statement for him to make as Patton because Patton’s grandfather was in Lee’s army of Northern Virginia and he certainly lost a war."

Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,782 times
True enough, but what has been done, has been done, its in the past.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I have a friend from CT who calls me a "Reb" sometimes. He's only joking, but the Union soldiers called the Confederate soldiers "Rebs" or "Rebels" during the Civil War.
That never would've occured to me.

If I meet someone from a southern state, I assume they're here (Boston) for either school or work. They obviously didn't move for the weather.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Northerners have no issues with southerners when they move up that way, they don't place that same kind of subtle distaste in their minds, and shun them, due to them being southerners, or because of their accent. Only southerners do this, imo. Us west coasters are also very libertarian, me being a conservative Montana type of libertarian, simply don't think I would care to live anywhere in the south. I would be very hesitant about moving to any southern state, even though I realize there are good people there, and the home prices and taxes are low, which I wish the northern states had going for them as well. Southerners imo, harbor a lot more dislike for anyone outside there region of the USA, then other Americans do toward them imo. Hence the reason lots of folks are real leery about relocating to any southern state, in my opinion. People want to be accepted, and not outcasted or shunned, or made to feel uncomfortable. Change is inevitable, the whole country is going thru it, it is the way it is. Ask the Italians in Benson Hurst Brooklyn what they think about all the Russians that have moved in to their once predominantly Italian town,. Then ask folks in Missoula MT, what they think about all the Californians moving into their city. They still do not typically treat or shun folks the way southerners seem more likely to do imo. They may not like it, but they adjust and just carry on with their lives. Just my opinion and my view.
You're quite wrong about this.

Here's a true life story from just the other day.

My husband is a Texan working as a manager up in Pennsylvania. On his job sites, people have to wear hard hats. He noticed that lots of the guys had written "TAFT" on their hard hats. Well, guess what that means. Think.....

OK - it means "This Ain't F___in Texas." It was their subtle, or not so subtle, way of bucking the Texas (and Louisiana and Oklahoma) companies who were working up there. Yep, they wanted the job, but they didn't want the culture.

They don't wear those hard hats on his locations anymore.

By the way, their "culture" is one of meth and food stamps and massive unemployment so I can't say that the southern influence is a step down in any way, shape or form for them.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:57 PM

If you're from the South, the rest of the nation will always look down on you. Southern accents have turned into a symbol of ignorance and racism. You can deny it if you want, but for the most part, it's true. Jimmy Carter had this problem. Fun fact, Stephen Colbert is from Charleston, South Carolina. He trained himself to lose his southern accent since people had always perceived southern accents as a sign of ignorance. I know the South doesn't have the best history in the Nation, and as a southerner, I can say this. However, it's really hurtful for people to look down on us for something as simple as our accents.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By the way, their "culture" is one of meth and food stamps and massive unemployment so I can't say that the southern influence is a step down in any way, shape or form for them.
It's funny how you always pretend to be fair and balanced yet you take potshots on other regions constantly. More of that infamous "southern hospitality" and "charm" I suppose...

Old 12-08-2014, 01:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
It's funny how you always pretend to be fair and balanced yet you take potshots on other regions constantly. More of that infamous "southern hospitality" and "charm" I suppose...
It's a sad but true fact in that particular part of Pennsylvania (the Appalachians). Meth, food stamps, unemployment - all are rampant there. Meth is such a huge problem in that area that they actually have a weekly publication that publishes MUG SHOTS of the weekly arrests - trying to instill some sort of sense of shame. Not sure whether or not it's working but the publication is a real hoot.

I don't generally put other regions down, but I will state the truth. I actually think Pennsylvania is a beautiful state with tons of fascinating history. But the Appalachian region - south AND north of the Mason Dixon line - has a real problem with meth, poverty, and unemployment. I thought most people knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.