Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
When people try to say PA is similar or worse very similar to New England it is being slighted as well as New England for that matter because they are very different from each other.
I may be going out on a limb here, but I think the issue is that you frankly don't know much about New England. You may have been there a few times, but as someone who travels up there quite frequently, I have come across many striking similarities that solidifies my feeling of a Northeast region. OBVIOUSLY THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. But you are completely denying that ANY similarities exist whatsoever, which is blatantly false.

If we can't acknowledge facts, then I don't think this conversation can go any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
No that is just in your own mind and something people who never lived anywhere near the line believe. That's why you have people from New England and the South constantly arguing over with the North and South begin and end using that stupid line with people from PA and Maryland just shaking there heads.
Last I checked, PA was part of the Union, was it not? Maryland was a border state, I'll grant you. But the division between the North and South was--and to some extent, still is--very real. I don't believe I'm the one who's ignoring my own state's history here nor my PA ancestors who fought for the Union.

"Over 360,000 Pennsylvanians served in the Union Army, more than any other Northern state except New York.[1] (some other states sent a larger proportion of their population but not a larger number). Beginning with President Lincoln's first call for troops and continuing throughout the war, Pennsylvania mustered 215 infantry regiments, as well as dozens of emergency militia regiments that were raised to repel threatened invasions in 1862 and 1863 by the Confederate States Army. Twenty-two cavalry regiments were also mustered, as well as dozens of light artillery batteries."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl...ican_Civil_War

Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
From a National perspective, Pennsylvania is more similar to New England then you realize. Take the system of local government for instance. The entire state of Pennsylvania is covered with them, similar to Massachusetts. This is not how most states around the country are organized.

Pennsylvania is definitely one of the outliers of the Northeast. Which should not be surprising given her location. But she still has many similarities, especially with New York and New Jersey.

Consider State Land Ownership which I posted on another thread a while back. These figures do not show Federal land ownership but only State land ownership --- so we can see the conservation efforts that the states made for themselves.

Mid-Atlantic Northeast
1. New York - 11,000,0000 acres (36% of the entire state)
2. Pennsylvania - 3,656,000 acres (12.75%)
3. New Jersey - 739,000 acres (15.58)

Nearby States
1. West Virginia - 449,000 acres (2.91%)
2. Ohio - 421,000 acres (1.61%)
3. Virginia - 346,000 acres (1.37%)

You can see that the 3 "nearby states" have conserved less state land then the Mid-Atlantic states. Even New Jersey, despite being much smaller then the others, has bought up more land for conservation. And its not because that Ohio and the Virginias are unusual, its because the 3 Mid-Atlantic states just bought up a lot more land for the public then most other states. They have taken a similar approach to conservation issues that is different from many other states in the USA.

www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf
Okay state land ownership is similar between PA, NJ, and NY. I did state PA, NJ, and NY have similarities I stated when you add New England to the mix the similarities go out the window. It's pretty bad we are left to arguing about how local governments are set up to find familiarity between PA and New England.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Can't we talk about something else? This arguement is getting repetitive and boring.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Last I checked, PA was part of the Union, was it not? Maryland was a border state, I'll grant you. But the division between the North and South was very real. I don't believe I'm the one who's ignoring my own state's history here.
Maryland was also part of the union and so was Kentucky for that matter.

As far as ignoring state history no your not ignoring state history your rewriting it.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Can't we talk about something else? This arguement is getting repetitive and boring.
Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I may be going out on a limb here, but I think the issue is that you frankly don't know much about New England. You may have been there a few times, but as someone who travels up there quite frequently, I have come across many striking similarities that solidifies my feeling of a Northeast region.
Yet you can't post a conclusive reason why it's a solidified region.
Quote:
OBVIOUSLY THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. But you are completely denying that ANY similarities exist whatsoever, which is blatantly false.
I already went over this several pages back.

Quote:
If we can't acknowledge facts, then I don't think this conversation can go any further.
Yes indeed please follow your own advice here.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Maryland was also part of the union and so was Kentucky for that matter.

As far as ignoring state history no your not ignoring state history your rewriting it.
Maryland was indeed considered a border state:

"In the context of the American Civil War, the border states were slave states that had not declared a secession from the Union (the ones that did so later joined the Confederacy). Four slave states had never declared a secession: Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri. Four others did not declare secession until after the Battle of Fort Sumter: Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia—after which, they were less frequently called "border states". Also included as a border state during the war is West Virginia, which broke away from Virginia and became a new state in the Union in 1863.[1][2]"

Border states (American Civil War) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Maryland was indeed considered a border state:

"In the context of the American Civil War, the border states were slave states that had not declared a secession from the Union (the ones that did so later joined the Confederacy). Four slave states had never declared a secession: Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri. Four others did not declare secession until after the Battle of Fort Sumter: Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia—after which, they were less frequently called "border states". Also included as a border state during the war is West Virginia, which broke away from Virginia and became a new state in the Union in 1863.[1][2]"

Border states (American Civil War) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OMFG look man. You stated that the Mason Dixon line is a major psychological border for PA...even in the present no less. That is rewriting history because people from PA did and regularly still do cross the mason dixon line and don't think twice about it.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I personally apologize to everyone for taking the thread on such a long tangent, which I know should have likely been moved to another forum. I'll attempt to redeem myself with more inclusive and on-topic posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.