Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,412 times

Advertisements

I'm happy to see Minnesota on your list! True, Minneapolis proper can be expensive, but you might like some of the outer suburbs or other MN cities like Duluth, Mankato, St. Cloud. If you would consider an even smaller town, the sky is the limit here and in many I don't think you could find a $950 rental if you tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 29,326 times
Minneapolis expensive? Not moreso than any icelandic city. I own a house with a big yard, garage, etc. and pay $820/month. It's a small house but comfy. The only reason my payment is so high is because I rolled a $26,000 student loan into my refinance. Rents are very reasonable here. The winter deletes a lot of unwanted things like bugs, thugs, etc. but you have to really enjoy cold weather. I've been here 30 years and looking to move because I can't take it any more but then I get cold when it's below 55 degrees. If it weren't for winter, I wouldn't consider moving. Everything else about Minneapolis is very cool.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0me880x View Post
What are nice towns in the U.S to sort of start over?

I'm not looking for a club scene, or a place that is popular and has more tourists then residents. Yet nothing too middle of nowhere. Nothing materialistic like California and nothing southern or has only 2 seasons.

A nice place to raise a family with nice affordable homes. Where I can find a 2 bedroom apartment for under $950 a month. My biggest concern is crime. Where I live now (lower wisconsin), the crime is getting out of hand. Its sort of like a used to be safe now getting sort of worrysome sort of thing.

I know there are places like it, I'm just having a hard time finding it.

I have been considering

Utah (Salt Lake area)
Colorado (Colorado Springs or Fort Collins Area)
Idaho (Boise or Idaho Falls)
Minnesota (Minneapolis but too expensive)

Do any of you live in these places? What do you like and not like about them?

THANKS!

I think Utah would be your best bet out of the ones you listed.
After that Minnesota,Colorado,THEN Idaho.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 AM

105 posts, read 315,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Another (yawn) dreamer.

Noplace is perfect.

No crime + cheap + lots of good jobs + perfect weather + not isolated + perfect schools = Does Not Exist

Feel free to take SassyGirl's advice and peruse the various state threads. For every person who loves one place, someone else will think the same spot stinks. It's all in how willing you are to accommodate, so . . .

. . . . Why not find somewhere that's reasonably tolerable and just get on with your life? Maybe make a rank ordered list of what you consider important and try to check off as many as you can, but don't expect that you won't have to compromise somewhere along the way . . .

By the way, I've lived in one of your 4 choices and visited the other 3 multiple times (actually considered relocating to 2 of them). Guess what: none of them are utopia.

Good luck.

PS: Compared to some places I've lived, lower Wisconsin looks pretty darn good . . .

I agree with Vagus. Nobody can tell you where the perfect place to live is unless YOU live there and find out for yourself. Before I moved to Idaho, I was asking the same questions many people ask on this board..."Is Idaho a good place to live?" Some ppl told me yes and some ppl told me no. I decided that I had to find out for myself what is was really like. Well, I did find out and now i'm moving back to my home state, California. Everyone has their own taste in lifestyle and what they need in their environment. Idaho fit none of my requirements. You can't get everything you want in one state or area. You will always have to compromise something. I think thats why Vagus used the term 'dreamer' because those who think they can get everything they need and want are living in a fantasy world.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
Tri-Cities Area (Kingsport-Johnson City-Bristol) Tennessee.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
I have relocated to Boise from New England and love it here. It is a vibrant, clean, smaller city, very progressive and a lot of people describe Boise as a rather sophisticated yet laid back and relaxed city. There is a lot of civic pride here--a lot, the arts and mountain biking are important The city parks are gorgeous. The outdoor activities are limitless as there are so many places in nature to explore in the area and Idaho. I don't know much about Utah, our neighbor, but I do know a lot of people who much prefer Idaho and Boise over Utah and Salt Lake.
But if you are interested in Boise, do some research. This is one of those cities that will always prosper and be attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.