Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 AM

12 posts, read 70,250 times

Advertisements

What are nice towns in the U.S to sort of start over?

I'm not looking for a club scene, or a place that is popular and has more tourists then residents. Yet nothing too middle of nowhere. Nothing materialistic like California and nothing southern or has only 2 seasons.

A nice place to raise a family with nice affordable homes. Where I can find a 2 bedroom apartment for under $950 a month. My biggest concern is crime. Where I live now (lower wisconsin), the crime is getting out of hand. Its sort of like a used to be safe now getting sort of worrysome sort of thing.

I know there are places like it, I'm just having a hard time finding it.

I have been considering

Utah (Salt Lake area)
Colorado (Colorado Springs or Fort Collins Area)
Idaho (Boise or Idaho Falls)
Minnesota (Minneapolis but too expensive)

Do any of you live in these places? What do you like and not like about them?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 AM

382 posts, read 1,070,518 times
I cannot provide any information, other than as a tourist, for the areas you have pinpointed, but I do have a suggestion for you. Why not post in the state forums and ask your questions there? Also, check out City Data's own information about these states. Lots of info to be gleaned if you do. Hope this will help point you in the right directions. Good luck on your quest.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM

332 posts, read 1,627,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0me880x View Post
What are nice towns in the U.S to sort of start over?

I'm not looking for a club scene, or a place that is popular and has more tourists then residents. Yet nothing too middle of nowhere. Nothing materialistic like California and nothing southern or has only 2 seasons.

A nice place to raise a family with nice affordable homes. Where I can find a 2 bedroom apartment for under $950 a month. My biggest concern is crime. Where I live now (lower wisconsin), the crime is getting out of hand. Its sort of like a used to be safe now getting sort of worrysome sort of thing.

I know there are places like it, I'm just having a hard time finding it.

I have been considering

Utah (Salt Lake area)
Colorado (Colorado Springs or Fort Collins Area)
Idaho (Boise or Idaho Falls)
Minnesota (Minneapolis but too expensive)

Do any of you live in these places? What do you like and not like about them?

THANKS!
Another (yawn) dreamer.

Noplace is perfect.

No crime + cheap + lots of good jobs + perfect weather + not isolated + perfect schools = Does Not Exist

Feel free to take SassyGirl's advice and peruse the various state threads. For every person who loves one place, someone else will think the same spot stinks. It's all in how willing you are to accommodate, so . . .

. . . . Why not find somewhere that's reasonably tolerable and just get on with your life? Maybe make a rank ordered list of what you consider important and try to check off as many as you can, but don't expect that you won't have to compromise somewhere along the way . . .

By the way, I've lived in one of your 4 choices and visited the other 3 multiple times (actually considered relocating to 2 of them). Guess what: none of them are utopia.

Good luck.

PS: Compared to some places I've lived, lower Wisconsin looks pretty darn good . . .

Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,114,474 times
I've been to parts of Idaho and Colorado and both were very nice.
I live in the Kansas City, MO metro area and it's very nice here too. Most of the suburbs enjoy low crime rates, and it is very affordable. I would recommend it.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,854,413 times
A lot of the midwest would meet your needs, even St. Louis, which is mostly safe, and Kansas City is nice as well. I'd say most midwestern cities other than Chicago would be livable on $950/month and would have 4 seasons. If you were going to choose St. Louis city, though, I would try to get into a charter or magnet school or enroll in a private or catholic school. The suburbs schools are normally fine.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
Boise, ID is consistantly ranked as one of the safest and most secure cities in the country. Business is thriving there too.

And everyone I know who lives in Colorado loves it.

I'll also second the recommendation for Kansas City.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 AM

12 posts, read 70,250 times
exactly why I never come to these type of message board things. I didnt come to be insulted and called a "dreamer". I never said anywhere was perfect. I came for help and sugestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Another (yawn) dreamer.

Noplace is perfect.

No crime + cheap + lots of good jobs + perfect weather + not isolated + perfect schools = Does Not Exist

Feel free to take SassyGirl's advice and peruse the various state threads. For every person who loves one place, someone else will think the same spot stinks. It's all in how willing you are to accommodate, so . . .

. . . . Why not find somewhere that's reasonably tolerable and just get on with your life? Maybe make a rank ordered list of what you consider important and try to check off as many as you can, but don't expect that you won't have to compromise somewhere along the way . . .

By the way, I've lived in one of your 4 choices and visited the other 3 multiple times (actually considered relocating to 2 of them). Guess what: none of them are utopia.

Good luck.

PS: Compared to some places I've lived, lower Wisconsin looks pretty darn good . . .

Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 AM

382 posts, read 1,070,518 times
Smile Wait a minute.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0me880x View Post
exactly why I never come to these type of message board things. I didnt come to be insulted and called a "dreamer". I never said anywhere was perfect. I came for help and sugestions.
Vagus wasn't trying to be mean. We all here at CD freely employee a risque sense of humor quite often. Not to be insulting but to provide relief from all the stress we endure during the day. We are all about playing nice with others. Maybe our presentations are not to everyone's liking but it is all in good fun - as well as to provide information to those who wish to play in our sandbox.

Give the good folks here at CD a chance to help you out, hopefully enlighten you, and give you a good belly laugh or two. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,398,034 times
You need to evaluate what is important to you beyond cost- do you like skiing? Culture? Do you mind rain? Are you politically liberal/conservative? What kind of industry do you want to work in? So many questions to answer. Boise is a nice town, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM

332 posts, read 1,627,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl2 View Post
Vagus wasn't trying to be mean. We all here at CD freely employee a risque sense of humor quite often. Not to be insulting but to provide relief from all the stress we endure during the day. We are all about playing nice with others. Maybe our presentations are not to everyone's liking but it is all in good fun - as well as to provide information to those who wish to play in our sandbox.

Give the good folks here at CD a chance to help you out, hopefully enlighten you, and give you a good belly laugh or two. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks for coming to my defense.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but let's face it, lots of people on this site seem to be looking for something near perfection. Reality is that crime, unemployment, bad weather, tourists, expensive houses etc etc etc are everywhere and you pretty much have to choose your priorities. No one place has everything, everplace has some badness, and life is what happens while you're making other plans, or posting on the internet.

Besides, I thought my suggestion of a more detailed prioritized list was a valid one . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.