Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:22 PM

132 posts, read 596,622 times

Advertisements

Hi Verseau,
Thanks for the reply.
I never heard anyone say DEE-troit either until I was visiting my cousins in N. New Jersey. It caught me (as you can probably imagine) by surprise. I thought they were joking at first. I thought they were doing some Beverly Hillbillies thing! I can hear Jethro right now, "We're fixin' to go to DEE-troit, Granny!""
I'm Interested in hearing from more people from Missouri about 2 different pronounciations within the same state. That I find really interesting.
That was a good point about the New Hampshire pronounciation and the grating New England habit of just totally disregarding any "r" in a word-CAA for car, PAK for park, etc. (yuck).
I forgot about Colorado which I would pronounce with the "a" like "bat", not "ball". Good point.
I am pretty sure (Being there many times) that it is pronounced New Or-Lins. Not New Or-LEENS or New Or-LE-ans.
Take care, gang
-Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
Quote:
it is pronounced New Or-Lins. Not New Or-LEENS or New Or-LE-ans .
Well if we're pronouncing things how they are in their native language, then it should be Or-Leh-awn, like the Orleans in France.

Just like

Quote:
the original French pronunciation would be "ee-lee-NWAH,"
But who says Illinoise like that?? No one really, even if it is supposed to be pronounced that way. At least I've never heard anyone say it like that. Just like no one says Or-leh-awn, but that is the correct way.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Ne VAAAAA da. AAAAA, as in a s s.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Didn't we just have one of these threads?

Another common mispronunciation: Boise, ID. It's pronounced "boy-CEE," not "boy-ZEE."

Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms
That was a good point about the New Hampshire pronounciation and the grating New England habit of just totally disregarding any "r" in a word-CAA for car, PAK for park, etc. (yuck).
Hey, I happen to love our accents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfIllFaith View Post
Well if we're pronouncing things how they are in their native language, then it should be Or-Leh-awn, like the Orleans in France.

Just like

But who says Illinoise like that?? No one really, even if it is supposed to be pronounced that way. At least I've never heard anyone say it like that. Just like no one says Or-leh-awn, but that is the correct way.
I know, I was just pointing out the original French pronunciation, because it at least explains why people don't pronounce the 's'.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
I love it too. I have some family that does that, and in fact, despite growing up in the Midwest, as a result of hearing so many dropped 'r's over the course of my life (my grandparents, mother, cousins, etc are from out east), I've been known to drop a few myself especially if I'm talking to people with that accent ... I've been teased at work on occasion for absentmindedly saying things like "I spoke with my mothah the othah day"

... I fail to understand why people react so strongly to it.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:28 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Rule of thumb- If it has an "ad" sound in it (Nevada, Colorado), it is pronounced the same as the a in cat. Colo-rad-oh, Neh-vad-uh.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM

132 posts, read 596,622 times
I wasn't saying that it should be pronounced like the language but how it is pronounced by the people who live there. Example: New Orleans shouldn't necessarily be pronounced in a purely French way, but it should be pronounced in the way that the people who live there pronounce it.
Does that make sense?
Look at all the Spanish place names in California and Texas that are certainly not pronounced in a pure Spanish dialect. San Antonio, San Francisco, Los Angeles. Son Ontonio, Son Fron Ceesco, Los An Hel lees as the vowels in Espanol are pronounced ah for A, long A for E, long E for I, long O same in english for O, and euhh for U.
You Know, I don't really know why people react so strongly to accents either.
But Accent is one thing but mispronouncing a state is another. I find it really annoying when the person on Cnn or Fox news says Ne-Vah-da with the Vah sound like law, or Ore-gone. I don't know why, but it is a geographical place name of a state and the pronounciation should be well established by age 7.

Last edited by LAPalms; 01-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: add stuff

Old 01-25-2008, 02:53 PM

183 posts, read 861,685 times
Pronunciation Guide: inogolo - Pronunciation of Nevada : How to pronounce Nevada

Las Valley 702 / NBC News - my mini campaign to pronounce Nevada correctly

The Nevada debates were a good opportunity to "educate" the east coast news media.

An email and internet campaign has been a great success.

Most of the national news media "talking heads" have now started to pronounce Nevada correctly, even resistant ones like ex-GOP Florida congressman Joe Scarborough. Once the national news media comes around they will serve as examples to help educate other mostly east coast and southern citizens about pronunciation of western states.

You may also note that unlike Bush visiting Nevada in 2003, none of the presidential candidates this time mispronounced Nevada. People who have mispronounced Nevada for decades are now getting the message.

Network statements on pronunciation of Nevada

Quote:
RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Following are comments issued by major broadcast networks concerning the flap over the pronunciation of Nevada:

- "NBC Nightly News" reporter George Lewis: "Memo to all those political candidates trying to win votes in the Silver State: It's Nuh-VAD-uh, not Nuh-VAH-duh ... According to the official NBC handbook of pronunciations originally published during World War II, it's Nuh-VAD-uh."

- ABC's "World News Tonight" spokeswoman Andrea Jones: "We will pronounce it Nevada (Nuh-VAD-uh) as we've done in the past. ABC plans to use the local standard pronunciation of Nevada."

- "CBS Evening News" spokeswoman Sandy Genelius: "We try very hard to get pronunciations right. Our understanding is the correct pronunciation is Nevada (Nuh-VAD-uh)."

- CNN spokeswoman Barbara Levin: "CNN encourages our anchors and reporters to use the pronunciation that our affiliates in the state use."

- Fox News Vice President of News David Rhodes: "We know that the state is pronounced Nevada (Nuh-VAD-uh). We know that's the way people like it pronounced."

Last edited by New City V; 01-25-2008 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
To be honest, I don't see what the fuss is all about. There is a very minor difference between the two pronunciations of Nevada, one that could just as easily be attributed to different regional accents. I don't get upset when people don't pronounce New Hampshire as "New Hampshah," because I know that most people don't use the local pronunciation.

I might be able to understand Oregonians being irked about the east coast pronunciation of "Ore-uh-gawn," but that's just the way our teachers taught us how to say it in school. I imagine we've always pronounced it that way out here. And personally, I prefer to actually pronounce that final "o"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.