Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's the result of an accent, I think. Some New Yorkers add an R where it is not needed. Not sure if people from any other areas tend to do it.
My mother grew up in Maine, and when I was a kid, other kids teased me for saying ideer - for idea. I said it the way my mom did. She even moved to California when she was around 12, I think. She had me when she was 19. By the time I was in middle school, though, she'd worked on getting rid of her accent because she didn't like to be teased.

Funny, I hadn't thought about that since I was a kid.

I'll throw in a pronunciation that makes locals smile, and that's in the Portland, OR area regarding the word "Willamette." Looking at it, you'd think to say it the French way, Will-uh-MET. But, the locals say Will-AH-mutt. With the AH pronounced like "cat."

Sounds so hillbilly LOL, but that's how they say it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've told that native Washingtonians don't say it that way, but I've heard it from people up in Washington in different parts of the state(maybe it's more a working class thing)? It does sound awful though.
Yeah, like I said, I mainly only hear it from Idahoans. I've never heard it from a WA native, working class or otherwise. It literally makes me cringe when people throw that "r" in there.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
not all of us talk like that... I personally hate it when people stereotype us to speaking like a stupid hick. I say Teh-x-ah-ss.
I don't think there is a particular way to pronounce, some say car-ah-mel some say care-ah-mel... at the end of the day nothing changes, nothing has been solved. Sure it inconvenient to have your state be mispronounced but its not going away anytime soon.
You can argue over how it is going to be pronounced and the argument won't ever end, anyways half of these names are of Spanish and French origin anyways and we mispronounce them... why should we care if we pronounce them right now if we never did in the first place?
IF you want to say it correctly say it how it supposed to be said, us english speaks tend to butcher people's languages... I mean it crazy how off we can be with translations... like
Lisbon-Lisboa
Peking-Beijing
Taipei-Taibei
Munich-Munchen (idk I don't know this one)
Guangzhou-canton (how the heck did we get this one???)
Anyways you get the point, I will try my hardest to correct my horrible(according to the above ) Texas pronunciation but that doesn't mean everyone else will...much less try and and care... It one of those things you can try to change but would be better off getting used to.
I never understood why we say Munich, which is in Bavaria, in Germany.

It's actually Munchen, in Bayern, in Deutschland. Not even close

Old 09-26-2014, 03:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People have given me guff for saying ne-VAH-da and colo-RAH-do, but then they insist on calling my home state New YORK, when it should be pronounced New YAWK.

Double standards ;-)

Should Americans call Paris, par-EE, or Vienna, VEEN?
I think both ways of saying Colorado are ok. Except when people from the south call it "Colla-radah". Sort of like they'll say "Ha-Wah-yuh" for Hawaii.

I don't get why people in Louisville, KY insist that outsiders pronounce in their screwed up way. I me, I've had someone correct me and ask me to say, "Lou-uh-vul" back to them. Uh... no. I'm not from there, so I'm not going to try and mock the accent.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think both ways of saying Colorado are ok. Except when people from the south call it "Colla-radah". Sort of like they'll say "Ha-Wah-yuh" for Hawaii.

I don't get why people in Louisville, KY insist that outsiders pronounce in their screwed up way. I me, I've had someone correct me and ask me to say, "Lou-uh-vul" back to them. Uh... no. I'm not from there, so I'm not going to try and mock the accent.
About how you say southerners say Colorado, that's just an accent thing. They can't help it. I think a lot of this comes down to accents rather than intentional or ignorant mispronunciations.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:01 AM

88,543 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
I noticed during primaries that many newscasters (most from the east) were pronouncing the state of Nevada as Ne-Vah-da with the Vah sounding like the a in "saw" or law". :[/b]
LOL. To me, "VAH" does not rhyme with "saw" or "law". That would be Ne-VAW-da, and I've never heard anyone say it that way.

I HAVE heard people say "lah" for "law", though...

Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's the result of an accent, I think. Some New Yorkers add an R where it is not needed. Not sure if people from any other areas tend to do it.
I have a coworker from Indiana who now lives in NJ. She said she went home and told her family that she learned there is no "r" in "wash".

Old 09-27-2014, 12:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
I had a friend who was born and raised in a small town in Ohio who used to put the "r" in Washington. I don't know how that came about. She also pronounced Vancouver as VAN-couver with the emphasis on the first syllable rather than the middle as most do. But then again she used to do that when she pronounced the word UM-brella.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
I noticed during primaries that many newscasters (most from the east) were pronouncing the state of Nevada as Ne-Vah-da with the Vah sounding like the a in "saw" or law".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. To me, "VAH" does not rhyme with "saw" or "law". That would be Ne-VAW-da, and I've never heard anyone say it that way.

I HAVE heard people say "lah" for "law", though...
LAPalms is demonstrating the cot-caught merger in action.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
LAPalms is demonstrating the cot-caught merger in action.
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.