Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I wasn't debating about which is a national chain or more recognized, because neither are. But trust me, most people on the East coast have never even heard of In-N-Out. I don't think the Habit is a national chain, but it's not a regional one either either. I guess you could put it in the category of Trader Joe's back when they were still growing.
I agree that In-and-Out is not a national chain, but it is less regional in substance than The Habit. And, unlike The Habit, as I demonstrated, In-and-Out has a large degree of national brand recognition. I think likely 90 percent of my friends know about In-and-Out, and a majority likely have eaten there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 05:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Someone mentioned Zoe's Kitchen - the Greek/Mediterranean food restaurant that's Texas based and really picking up steam. Dang, that's some great food! If you like Greek food, pray that one comes your way soon!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Three restaurant chains I've only seen in the Southeast:

Bojangles-a fried chicken fast food chain, although we met a man at the Daytona 500 a couple of years ago at a booth set up to interest people in buying a Bojangles franchise and he said they are open to expanding into other areas such as the Midwest

The Mellow Mushroom-a cute pizza/subs chain of spacious, sit down restaurants with sort of a "mellow hippie" atmosphere and the best soft pretzels in the western hemisphere. I have only seen them in touristy areas of the SE but I think they would be a hit anywhere, especially in college towns like Ann Arbor, MI.

Zaxby's-a fast food chain devoted to the chicken tender, since basically everything on the menu is composed of chicken tenders in some capacity

Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Three restaurant chains I've only seen in the Southeast:

Bojangles-a fried chicken fast food chain, although we met a man at the Daytona 500 a couple of years ago at a booth set up to interest people in buying a Bojangles franchise and he said they are open to expanding into other areas such as the Midwest

The Mellow Mushroom-a cute pizza/subs chain of spacious, sit down restaurants with sort of a "mellow hippie" atmosphere and the best soft pretzels in the western hemisphere. I have only seen them in touristy areas of the SE but I think they would be a hit anywhere, especially in college towns like Ann Arbor, MI.

Zaxby's-a fast food chain devoted to the chicken tender, since basically everything on the menu is composed of chicken tenders in some capacity
I've never heard of Mellow Mushroom, but Texas-based Jason's Deli has less than 300 locations, but it is in 29 states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason's_Deli

Jason's perhaps has more an emphasis on "healthy food" than any chain in the U.S. Free soft serve ice cream puts smiles on the kiddies, and healthy eaters given an excuse to indulge and reward their otherwise healthy eating habits.

Healthy Restaurant and Deli | Catering | Jason's Deli

Old 03-10-2016, 07:07 AM

107 posts, read 100,918 times
Dels | Dels Frozen LemonadeDels | Dels Frozen Lemonade

Lemonade from Rhode Island. A must for any trip to the beach.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 AM

35,079 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Meijer is a great alternative to Walmart and Target.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One of my local favorites - Ralph's Ices. Originated on Staten Island, about 80 locations in NY and NJ (NYC metro chain). Some of the best Italian ice. Locations | New York, Long Island, Manhattan, Queens | Ralph's Ices
I used to live a five-minute walk from a Ralph's. Absolutely the best ices I've ever had, though the beloved Lemon Ice King of Corona (not a chain) lives up to its reputation.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I agree that In-and-Out is not a national chain, but it is less regional in substance than The Habit. And, unlike The Habit, as I demonstrated, In-and-Out has a large degree of national brand recognition. I think likely 90 percent of my friends know about In-and-Out, and a majority likely have eaten there.
Doubtful. In-N-Out is regional all the way. Neither chain is more widely known than the other. Habit has only recently expanded in the last 9 years, but In-N-Out is still not something most people on the East coast have heard of.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Neither chain is more widely known than the other.
This is a ridiculously inaccurate statement.

All that is needed to prove its ridiculousness is to do web searches for the two chains, especially for "brand" or "brand recognition."

Anecdotally, In-and-Out is extremely well known in my circles, The Habit relatively not at all, except perhaps now among readers of Consumer Reports.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This is a ridiculously inaccurate statement. I suspect you live in CA and so think that CA brand recognition perceptions are the same as those nationally.

All that is needed to prove its ridiculousness is to do web searches for the two chains, especially for "brand" or "brand recognition."

Anecdotally, In-and-Out is extremely well known in my circles, The Habit relatively not at all, except perhaps now among readers of Consumer Reports.
I don't live in CA. I can't stand In-N-Out. I'm just saying that neither chain is up there as far as nationwide recognition goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.