Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times

Advertisements

I have always attracted people who want to talk....
Sometimes too much, lol

I'm cool with talking but people like to tell me their life stories,
even people who I never met before.....

I just had a client who lives in Boston.....
He told me that in Boston people don't talk at all to each other-
It's a very cold environment, very impersonal......

That intrigues me how different each city is
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:17 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
Strangers here don't usually talk to you either except for the occasional " gimme your keys " or " how bout them Cards?"

Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
It happens more here in Yakima than any of the big cities I have lived in. I am somewhat socially isolated so I enjoy this. It is fulfilling to me on some level.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
In Boston, people have their heads down in their phone AT ALL TIMES in public. God forbid you make eye contact with a scary stranger under any circumstance, let alone voluntarily say something to them.
It's not about the technology. It's always been this way on public transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In Pittsburgh and Albany, NY, people are fairly chatty in the stores and other public places. Someone will ask you your opinion of the clothes they're trying on and the like.
Pittsburgh's chattier than was used to, but not to an extreme extent. My general experience is people might say hi to you if they pass by you on the street, but that's typically about it. I take transit to work pretty regularly, and I'd say someone I don't know only strikes up a conversation with me a few times per year.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:41 PM

650 posts, read 867,729 times
Yes. I live in Miami so there's a lot of tourists, and they aren't asking for money or any sort, but just like talking to you and see where you from, if you know of a good place to get drinks or food, etc.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Pittsburgh's chattier than was used to, but not to an extreme extent. My general experience is people might say hi to you if they pass by you on the street, but that's typically about it. I take transit to work pretty regularly, and I'd say someone I don't know only strikes up a conversation with me a few times per year.
I do love that picture. It shows that cell phones haven't been the ruination of life as we know it. You also once posted a picture of a guy reading the paper while getting his shoes shined, which made me feel better about looking at my phone while getting a pedicure.

In re: Pittsburgh, I meant more in the stores and while waiting in line somewhere.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

There is a difference between reading something in a paper or book vs smart phone.

First, the smart phone is frequently used for communicating with others, whereas books/newspapers are not. You are more immersed during communication. The phones often times are used for music, adding a second later of detachment. I don't see any headphones in that picture.

I read on the bus and train all the time. I am much more aware of the world than those on the phones though.

Think they're not the same? Think I'm exaggerating? Ok- how often did people used to carry newspapers at all times and make sure they were face up on the table when having dinner with friends? Or how often did people used to always have a book open when ordering a coffee? Phones make it so easy to detach, much easier than any other form of historical distraction, so people do it more.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
I'm from that section of the country where we talk to strangers. I always talk to the person in any line I'm in. If I meet someone at the walking track, I always ash "how you doing today?" If they ask it first, I always reply, "fine, how bout you".
I always talk to the cashier at Walmart, they enjoy it and it shortens their day.
I've never had anyone tell me I'm being noisy and to buzz off. If they did, I would just say "Bless your heart" and I'm not . proselytizing.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There is a difference between reading something in a paper or book vs smart phone.

First, the smart phone is frequently used for communicating with others, whereas books/newspapers are not. You are more immersed during communication. The phones often times are used for music, adding a second later of detachment. I don't see any headphones in that picture.

I read on the bus and train all the time. I am much more aware of the world than those on the phones though.

Think they're not the same? Think I'm exaggerating? Ok- how often did people used to carry newspapers at all times and make sure they were face up on the table when having dinner with friends? Or how often did people used to always have a book open when ordering a coffee? Phones make it so easy to detach, much easier than any other form of historical distraction, so people do it more.
Oh please. Only the distraction has changed. Your examples are examples of rudeness, have nothing to do with the specific instrument of rudeness (book, newspaper).

Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh please. Only the distraction has changed. Your examples are examples of rudeness, have nothing to do with the specific instrument of rudeness (book, newspaper).
My point is that phones encourage this by their nature.

You fundamentally missed my point completely (no surprise ). The point was that NOBODY does those things. Why? Because those things are not phones. Phones lead people to detach. Are you disagreeing with that? The rudeness level is much higher with phones. The instrument makes a difference.

Geez try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.