Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:33 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I'm thinking the Bay Area, which some consider to be Central, rather than Northern California. It is about halfway up the California Coast though.

I'd say the Pac NW is very innovative and creative. Several corporations were started there by people who changed the way people around the world shop (Amazon.com, Nordstrom, Costco, REI, etc.), the way we use computers (Microsoft, though Bay Area based Apple was the pioneer in this to be fair), what we wear on our feet (Nike), how we travel (Boeing), how we drink coffee (Starbucks). Very few regions have had so many companies that have truly impacted the lives of people the way the PNW has. The Bay Area and Southern California are definitely extremely creative-minded The Northeast is about making as much money as you can rather than innovative ideas.

The South is more about conformity and hostility to new ideas due to the more insular and feudalistic nature of people who settled there, many of whom were and still are closed off to "outsiders". It wasn't until the invention of Central AC that it opened up to more creative minded people. And even then, you still have cultural backwaters where hostility to new ideas is pretty much a part of the culture (places like Mississippi and parts of Alabama outside of islands of innovation such as Huntsville).

Texas has somewhat of a culture of innovation there, but its ethos is rooted more in entrepreneurship and ways to make money off the land (Oil, Cattle, Food, etc.) rather than outright creativity. Innovative in ways, yes, but creative, absolutely not. However, a number of startups have developed in the Austin area lately.
You understand the the airplane was invented in the east (and honestly most industry on the west coast was a product of FDR spreading around gov't contracts), Starbucks is not very popular in the east, and for god sakes shoes were not invented in Portland, and as far as modern shoe companies Reebok is about 100 years older in HQed in MA.
Also by the way by patents per capitia
1) Delaware
2)Connecticut
3) New Jersey
4) Massachusetts
5) Idaho
13) New York
17) Oregon
21) Washington
Patents Issued (per capita) statistics - states compared - StateMaster
So its BS that the east is uptight and greedy and the west is freewheeling and innovative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:03 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Whereabouts in the South, if you don't mind me asking?
Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Austin, and Bham. Based on my personal experiences...

Quote:
The South is more about conformity and hostility to new ideas due to the more insular and feudalistic nature of people who settled there, many of whom were and still are closed off to "outsiders". It wasn't until the invention of Central AC that it opened up to more creative minded people. And even then, you still have cultural backwaters where hostility to new ideas is pretty much a part of the culture (places like Mississippi and parts of Alabama outside of islands of innovation such as Huntsville).

Texas has somewhat of a culture of innovation there, but its ethos is rooted more in entrepreneurship and ways to make money off the land (Oil, Cattle, Food, etc.) rather than outright creativity. Innovative in ways, yes, but creative, absolutely not. However, a number of startups have developed in the Austin area lately.
I disagree, as a collective maybe, but people really sleep Southern millennials; who are probably the most creative, open-minded and conscious group of individuals in the country.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:22 PM

125 posts, read 173,822 times
For technology geeks perhaps.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I disagree, as a collective maybe, but people really sleep Southern millennials; who are probably the most creative, open-minded and conscious group of individuals in the country.
As a former resident of Georgia, Tennessee, and Mississippi, I wholeheartedly disagree based on my experiences with millennials there. And that includes the time I lived in Atlanta, where you will find a lot of creative, open-minded, and conscious people. I needed good laugh this morning and you gave me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You understand the the airplane was invented in the east (and honestly most industry on the west coast was a product of FDR spreading around gov't contracts), Starbucks is not very popular in the east, and for god sakes shoes were not invented in Portland, and as far as modern shoe companies Reebok is about 100 years older in HQed in MA.
Also by the way by patents per capitia
1) Delaware
2)Connecticut
3) New Jersey
4) Massachusetts
5) Idaho
13) New York
17) Oregon
21) Washington
Patents Issued (per capita) statistics - states compared - StateMaster
So its BS that the east is uptight and greedy and the west is freewheeling and innovative.
Your post shows you fail at reading comprehension and you got all emotional because you think that I'm dismissing the East Coast. That's not the case, so let me simplify it for you:

I never said that East Coast is 'uptight and greedy,' I was saying that in the East, money is made off of proven ideas. Maybe I should have said so since you took that the wrong way.

Considering many industries got their start on the East Coast and companies such as the Bell System were largely innovative and creative for their times, it's no surprise that most patents started there.

With Dunkin Donuts and local coffee shops all over the Northeast, I know that Starbucks isn't as popular there, but it is still quite popular because otherwise, it wouldn't have gained the foothold it has there in many areas. However, the East Coast/NE US isn't the center of the universe as you implied in your post.

Also, while I credit the Wright Brothers for inventing the airplane (and they built their plane in Ohio, which is not the East Coast, but I guess that was a lame attempt at patronizing me) , Boeing had a huge impact on how passengers travel and commercial aviation in general.

I know that shoes were not invented in Portland. I was talking more about Nike's impact. It's a younger company than Reebok has. Nike is arguably more well known and has a stronger brand identity than Reebok or other Athletic shoe companies.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-12-2016 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 07:10 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
I would think NYC and New England would be very strong on creativity.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Wow, this post is on point. Haha. No wonder the hostility here in Florida is so unreal. That would explain many things.
It's because drinking Starbucks coffee in hot weather makes you go bananas.. up there they need coffee to stay awake..mostly overcast and rainy from Oct to May.

Better drink Ice-tea to avoid hostilities..

Old 07-12-2016, 09:20 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
As a former resident of Georgia, Tennessee, and Mississippi, I wholeheartedly disagree based on my experiences with millennials there. And that includes the time I lived in Atlanta, where you will find a lot of creative, open-minded, and conscious people. I needed good laugh this morning and you gave me one.

Your post shows you fail at reading comprehension and you got all emotional because you think that I'm dismissing the East Coast. That's not the case, so let me simplify it for you:

I never said that East Coast is 'uptight and greedy,' I was saying that in the East, money is made off of proven ideas. Maybe I should have said so since you took that the wrong way.

Considering many industries got their start on the East Coast and companies such as the Bell System were largely innovative and creative for their times, it's no surprise that most patents started there.

With Dunkin Donuts and local coffee shops all over the Northeast, I know that Starbucks isn't as popular there, but it is still quite popular because otherwise, it wouldn't have gained the foothold it has there in many areas. However, the East Coast/NE US isn't the center of the universe as you implied in your post.

Also, while I credit the Wright Brothers for inventing the airplane (and they built their plane in Ohio, which is not the East Coast, but I guess that was a lame attempt at patronizing me) , Boeing had a huge impact on how passengers travel and commercial aviation in general.

I know that shoes were not invented in Portland. I was talking more about Nike's impact. It's a younger company than Reebok has. Nike is arguably more well known and has a stronger brand identity than Reebok or other Athletic shoe companies.
I'd imagine Atlanta would be an exception in the South. Naturally being the largest metropolis, a lot of the more creative southern folks would flock to the Atlanta area.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'd imagine Atlanta would be an exception in the South. Naturally being the largest metropolis, a lot of the more creative southern folks would flock to the Atlanta area.
The capital of the "New South".

Old 07-12-2016, 10:51 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
I didn't reference Tennessee nor Mississippi, even still, you didn't find those people because you were reluctant to think within a different perspective, creators don't have a hard to finding other creators. As a Photographer/Artist I've met SEVERAL young individuals who are just waiting for that opportunity, on the cusp of becoming something great. Compared to other regions, outside of Oakland and NYC, The South has this thing where minority creators work in cohesiveness very well. When it comes to Poetry, Music, Art, Fashion Designing, Modeling, Photography, Social Righteousness, Collective Idea Sparking, and etc. the South has a movement right now that you won't find within the PNW.

You rub me off as person who speak on these creators from the outside looking in, instead of actually working, or communicating with these people. Amazon, Starbucks, Nordstrom, and etc. aren't going to help these people develop their crafts, they're not supporting their ideas.

And BTW, Adidas supports creators moreso than Nike does, FACT.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:00 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I didn't reference Tennessee nor Mississippi, even still, you didn't find those people because you were reluctant to think within a different perspective, creators don't have a hard to finding other creators. As a Photographer/Artist I've met SEVERAL young individuals who are just waiting for that opportunity, on the cusp of becoming something great. Compared to other regions, outside of Oakland and NYC, The South has this thing where minority creators work in cohesiveness very well. When it comes to Poetry, Music, Art, Fashion Designing, Modeling, Photography, Social Righteousness, Collective Idea Sparking, and etc. the South has a movement right now that you won't find within the PNW.
Well you referred to the South as a whole in your previous post, therefore, Mississippi and Tennessee would be a part of that region.

I'll concede that Atlanta has a lot of what you're referring to, but its one of the few areas of the South that has that. New Orleans has a lot of that world, and Miami too, if you consider that the Southern US. For the record, I was a freelance writer based in Atlanta for many years, but I worked more on the tech/business side (lots of startups in the area), but I had connections in the art world as well, so was somewhat familiar with their world as well.

Quote:
You rub me off as person who speak on these creators from the outside looking in, instead of actually working, or communicating with these people. Amazon, Starbucks, Nordstrom, and etc. aren't going to help these people develop their crafts, they're not supporting their ideas.
Oh, you're a psychic now? Tell me the winning lotto numbers. But in all seriousness, I wasn't saying that those companies would help people develop their crafts, but I was speaking more along the lines of unconventional ideas (creativity with a focus on ideas and innovation per the OP) that turned into multi-million dollar companies that got their start in the Pacific NW. I was looking more at the big picture rather than individual efforts - It sounds like you're referring to the idea that the PNW has a large creative class contingent. It does, but that's not exclusive to the PNW. But we might be talking past each other at this point, and that's fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.