Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.61%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.55%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 49 19.84%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times

Advertisements

I live in Miami Beach. I like it here do not love it. It is a great place to be if you have a lot of money and are single

Pro's- Awesome restaurants, amazing nightlife, great weather most of the year except the summer and early fall. Lot of diversity. Great cuban culture. 4 major pro teams, beaches, nice palm trees and great shopping

Cons- Annoying gold diggers, over reliance on materialistic things, too many transplants who complain too much, terrible drivers, annoying tourists. Too humid in the summer and early fall and spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I live in Miami Beach. I like it here do not love it. It is a great place to be if you have a lot of money and are single

Pro's- Awesome restaurants, amazing nightlife, great weather most of the year except the summer and early fall. Lot of diversity. Great cuban culture. 4 major pro teams, beaches, nice palm trees and great shopping

Cons- Annoying gold diggers, over reliance on materialistic things, too many transplants who complain too much, terrible drivers, annoying tourists. Too humid in the summer and early fall and spring.
"Great weather most of the year except for summer, early fall, and spring.."

So basically NOT most of the year lol.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Hartford, CT. It's ok. One of the smartest, wealthiest, and healthiest metros in the country however it comes at a hefty price. We constantly been seeing tax increases within the past 5 years and our economy as gotten worse when the government believed it would improve. Many people put off retiring in the state once the recession hit in 2008 and now that the overall economy as gotten better in states like Florida, more and more people are moving out of CT for other states. That also includes young people because they've been driven out because of all the taxes. At my age, I've seen my area boom and bust. As I age and I look towards retirement in 10 years, I have a thought in my head that this place isn't the best once my career is over. I'm looking at Virginia or the Carolinas.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
I love it. I'm originally from Queens

Moved to South Jersey for a few years

Moved back to NYC. First to Manhattan, then to Brooklyn. Once I moved to Brooklyn I really fell in love with it and I really feel like I belong here. When I was growing up in Queens I never really went to Brooklyn, even though it is so close by. Many parts of Brooklyn near Queens (Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bushwick, etc) were areas that you wanted to avoid. Now I live here and never imagined I would love it so much. It's been almost 3 years for me in BK and it has been the best 3 years of my life. I have met some really amazing, cool, interesting people. I'm still young, so idk if I'm gonna be in BK forever, but probably for the rest of my youth. Brooklyn is a great place to be right now if you're in your 20s

Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM

730 posts, read 769,200 times
I'm a transplant. We moved last year after years of researching where to move to. After living in one location all my life, I feel like I finally found my soul's home.

We are use to arid evironments being from New Mexico. But even will low moisture, the Colorado front range is green enough for us. My home is among the trees and hills and walking the dogs through our area is something I will always be grateful for.

After living in a place I disliked for 40 years and moving to a place that now speaks to me is a dream come true. I hope everyone can find their "ideal" location. Life is too short to be miserable.

I love beautiful Colorado!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:16 PM

226 posts, read 258,043 times
I live in Eugene, OR. I grew up and spent the early part of my adult life in the Northeast: NY, NJ, RI and CT.

My fellow transplants told me the charm of Eugene and Oregon in general would wear thin. It has not happened!

Pros: beautiful scenery in every direction, lots of outdoor recreation, parks, bike trails, a small but active downtown, a good bus system for a small city, good schools, lots of interesting activities through the university, fun and creative people, mostly mild weather year round, minimal traffic, good restaurants, lots of fun and safe areas for my older kids to explore on their own and with friends, excellent recreation services and a great library. We are an hour from the unbelievably beautiful Oregon coast, and also close to mountains. Great food, beer and bud. Quirky shops, good thrift shopping, food trucks, the Saturday Market. I love the lack of sprawl. I grew up in big sprawly suburbs so I'm a fan of the Urban Growth Boundary. I don't miss my big suburban yard AT ALL.

Cons: Eugene feels a bit small at times, I occasionally wish my fairy godmother would move Portland maybe 40 miles closer, summers can be a bit too hot (I love the rainy season.) Classes are too big in the schools, and there have been a lot of cuts to the arts. People running everywhere...making me feel guilty that I hate running.
There is also a sizable homeless problem here. Though I've never been bothered by them personally, others have, and the illegal camping can get really messy in places.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 PM

641 posts, read 801,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
What's some pros and con's of your current city?

Are you a native or a transplant? If you are a transplant, where are you from originally and why you moved?

Do you like living there, hate it, or have more of a neutral view? If you hate it, where would you go if you had the chance?

I'll start: Current City is Lancaster PA.
I'm originally from Jersey City NJ, left due to me and my family felt it was crowded and expensive tho we still wanted to be close to extended family and friends. So me, my husband, and kids moved to Lancaster PA, we absolutely love it here. Pros is close to family in NY, also close to my favorite city Philly, small city atmosphere. Con's is moderately high crime and some really narrow streets.

Now you
I live in Dallas/Ft Worth Metro... specifically Keller, TX for now but searching for a home in Mansfield/Arlington area. I have extensive knowledge of Fort Worth and spent my first five years in Dallas (N Dallas)

I'm a NC Transplant. Moved here when I was 17yoa.. I've been here for 12 years. I'd consider myself a Texan with a sweet spot for NC (my home state)

I really really like living in the DFW. I absolutely love living in TX. If there were any other place I'd go, I think it would be Houston. The thought of Houston excites me. It's very diverse. I can get to the gulf in less than an hour. People there seem much nicer and laid back than DFW. I worry about the heat, humidity and floods. I like that it's green and has a lot of trees (even palm trees) like NC. And it has more of a southern vibe to it while DFW has a more midwestern type of vibe.

Anyway what I like about Dallas/Ft Worth:

Its gigantic with close to 7 million people and growing very fast. It's a great place to start and run a business. It's a great place to have rental property. The cost of living here isn't nearly as bad as the three metros that have more people. The ideology of the people are more conservative/libertarian than most metros. I can wear shorts and T shirt for most of the year. The women here are very pretty and approachable. TexMex food is delicious! Good bbq and steakhouses here too. It is a magnet and everyone from everywhere is moving down here. Despite it being the 4th most populated metro, Gas is very cheap here. DFW airport is the best airport in the country (Yes I fly a lot and been to most of the big named ones). It's an efficient airport with plenty of space and destinations (thanks to American Airlines being headquartered in Fort Worth). I've flown direct flight to places like Savannah GA, Pensacola, London, Montego Bay. We can also fly direct from Dallas to several cities in Mexico, South America, Europe, and Asia. I'm sure Dallas Love Field is great since Southwest Airlines is headquartered in Dallas. No state tax and corporate tax is minimal. There's not so much of that southern pride, confederate flag waving type of stuff that you see in the deep south. People here are more likely to fly the TX flag and have pride in the State of TX rather than the southern region as a whole.

What I dislike about it:

Some times the summer heat is just too much. Property Taxes are freakin ridiculous. I'm going to have to fork over 8k a year for property taxes on a primary residence. It's not necessarily a great place for tourist. There's tons to do here but I can't think of reasons that a tourist should pick DFW over other great cities in the nation to visit. I wish more people would visit so they can stop with that stereotypical TX cowboy/rodeo bs. The metros are nothing like that. I also hate that the politicians coming from here makes us all look like backwards rednecks. A good percentage of people here are obese and have no shame about it.

With all that said, I'm probably going to die here. I love TX. Even if I became a multi millionaire, it would still be the place I call home. I've travelled a lot and can't think of a better place to call home. I'm not sure if it would be Dallas or Houston but it would be one of those two with a condo in the other and one in Austin. I'll admit that my favorite state to visit is Cali, my favorite city is San Diego, NYC is the greatest city in the world and I really enjoy the demeanor of East Coast people (down to earth and direct). Despite all of that, I'd still choose TX as the best place to call home as long as I can visit other places from time to time.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:08 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Born and raised in Philadelphia metro. Then moved to DC region for 22 years. After living in two large metro regions, my husband go transferred to North Carolina. I was excited for the warmer weather and less traffic, but I didn't realize how much I would miss living near a big city.

Raleigh/Durham just doesn't cut it. No public transportation (except limited buses), no world-class museums, no large, walkable downtown where you can just spend the whole day wandering around discovering nooks and crannies you've never seen before, no great tourist sites, no ethnic enclaves, very little interesting architecture. In some ways I feel like I've gone back in time about 10 years. People here are excited about fibre for internet - had it 8+ years ago in DC. People here are looking forward to Wegmans - had it 10+ years ago in DC. People here want IKEA - had it for 20+ years in DC. People here want rail - commuted by it for several years in DC. It's hard for me to get excited about things I had where I used to live that are now just reaching (or aren't coming any time soon) to this metro.

To me, Raleigh/Durham is a small to mid-size metro that is safe with a relatively low-cost of living and a decent amount of jobs. That makes it appealing to many transplants. However, it cannot compete with cities in the big leagues as far as attractions, entertainment, shopping, major league sports, public transportation, character, etc. I can't wait to move back to a bigger city.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Raleigh/Durham just doesn't cut it. No public transportation (except limited buses), no world-class museums, no large, walkable downtown where you can just spend the whole day wandering around discovering nooks and crannies you've never seen before, no great tourist sites, no ethnic enclaves, very little interesting architecture. In some ways I feel like I've gone back in time about 10 years. People here are excited about fibre for internet - had it 8+ years ago in DC. People here are looking forward to Wegmans - had it 10+ years ago in DC. People here want IKEA - had it for 20+ years in DC. People here want rail - commuted by it for several years in DC. It's hard for me to get excited about things I had where I used to live that are now just reaching (or aren't coming any time soon) to this metro.
I agree it feels like you have easy access to just about everything you need in the DC area.

And it's not over the top expensive like some other places are. The cost benefit works out pretty well.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:35 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Born and raised in Cleveland OH.

Lived in VA for 20+ years (and actually really liked it there).

Lived in PA for 3 years and hated every. single. minute.

Now in FL and love it!

We may move to different cities (depending on work, etc), but we love everything about this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.