Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.61%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.55%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 49 19.84%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 PM

431 posts, read 521,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcash View Post
Austin TX. Love it here. Greatest city. Like i said liberal, hipster, west coast vibes.
haha did you make a new account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Current city: Arvada, CO (Denver metro)

Are you a native or a transplant? If you are a transplant, where are you from originally and why you moved?
Transplant, originally from Riverside, CA, mostly cost-of-living and climate reasons.

What's some pros and con's of your current city?
Pros: Growing, thriving city, very good climate, all four pro sports, mountain views
Cons: The people, the culture, the dryness, brown, few trees.

Do you like living there, hate it, or have more of a neutral view? If you hate it, where would you go if you had the chance?
I'm neutral. There is plenty to do, so you can never be bored. It is pretty, but it doesn't resonate with me in most ways. It doesn't tickle my soul. Perfect on paper, but not in application. I would wander around at my leisure, and if I ever were to move away I wouldn't have much of a reason to ever come back.
Even save the cold, I could never move to Denver. I have been there about 20 times in the last year for work, and I don't like the "vibe" of the area. It feels like a liberal* version of Kansas City wedged against the Rockies; and I have no love for the midwest or plains at all

*=I am a liberal, so that is not a criticism of Denver, just my take on it

Old 11-07-2016, 07:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Even save the cold, I could never move to Denver. I have been there about 20 times in the last year for work, and I don't like the "vibe" of the area. It feels like a liberal* version of Kansas City wedged against the Rockies; and I have no love for the midwest or plains at all

*=I am a liberal, so that is not a criticism of Denver, just my take on it
I'm more liberal too, but the over-yuppified and over-hipsterized elements are the most major turnoffs for me. It didn't used to be like this.

And you're right about it being like Kansas City (I always say a bigger Omaha), but at least Kansas City has things that are uniquely Kansas City, Denver is just vanilla ice cream with vanilla on top, with a Broncos flag sticking out the top.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
I've lived mainly in:

Denver (born there, 30-year resident, liked it)

Salt Lake (grew up there, 12-year resident, liked it more than Denver)

Colorado Springs, where I currently have lived for the past 18 years. I enjoy it here, but it's becoming a traffic-choked gigantic suburb. If I have my way I'll move south down to Las Cruces, NM. Winters are milder and the summers are not as oppressive as places like Phoenix.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I'm originally from NC, but moved to the Midwest about 6 years ago. I lived in Iowa for a few months, then moved to Missouri and lived in several cities there. I moved there for graduate school. I wanted an area that was friendly and more laid back, but with a lower cost of living. I moved there without ever having visited the region. I ended up loving it and wanted to stay, but couldn't find a job in my field at the time.

I moved to Dallas/Fort Worth in the spring for a career change. I strongly dislike it here. No natural scenery, horrible heat 8mo out of the year, and the whole place feels like a big suburb. It's not really the place for an adventurous or outdoorsy person. I'm really not a fan of the state of Texas either. I don't like living in a state that seems to make a national mockery out of itself at least once a month. The state is pretty close to being at a Florida level of crazy.

But there are some positives. The restaurant and food scene here is great, as are the shopping options. Depending on where you are from, the cost of living is quite low. Having access to a big airport is a definite perk. The job market is unbeatable. I don't think there is any other place in the world (besides maybe NYC) that has the job market we have here.

I started applying for jobs in the Southeast and Midwest after only being here a few months. There is no way I can handle another Texas summer, so I'd like to be gone by April. I'd really like to end up in the Midwest, but would be open to living in the Southeast again.

Last edited by lepoisson; 11-07-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 PM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Here in Denver. Wanted to come here for a long time, finally made it out.

Pros: I am able to take part in all of my hobbies all year round. I am able to make friends with people with similar interests. The weather is great.

Cons: In the last three years it went from being a laid back, genuine, modest living vibe, to more of a LA/SF 2.0. Denver is becoming just like the cities that everyone is fleeing from. The traffic and home prices are really bad. I'm not against growth at all, I just don't like the changes to the vibe or culture when it's unnecessary...especially when it's something that makes people fall in love with the city in the first place. There is also a lot of delusion when it comes to life here in Colorado, and I'm sure the rush from legalization didn't help.

Do I regret moving here: No
Do I plan on leaving here any time soon: No
Are there are other places I'd rather be: Not really, maybe SLC if I could squeeze into their job market.
If I moved away, would I ever want come back: Probably not. Denver is a fast changing place that is growing with no end in sight. I would not want to live here if the population were to grow by another 30% or so (which apparently will happen in the next 10-15 years).

Old 11-07-2016, 06:20 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
haha did you make a new account?
LOL!!! I was wondering the same thing!

Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM

14 posts, read 19,618 times
The best places to live in Florida cost $$$$ Pensacola is a dump, high population, terrible crime rate, traffic is terrible. Most of the better employers have a small base of company employees and use long and short term temp companies for the rest of there needs. I work for an Industrial Contractor at the GE plant, no benefits at all, no vacation or sick time, if you need a day off it is considered unexcused. The wage scale versus the population is way out of whack - pay is low!! Rent, housing costs and insurance in general are high!! A large % of the population is on some sort of government assistance, and with the wage scale being low factors into the other things costing more.. Anyway, going to save for 6 months and I am planning on moving to - well, don't know yet, going to research many states and cities, and make a fresh start (I recently divorced after 32 years and am starting over).

Old 11-08-2016, 08:45 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Rio Rancho, NM, for the past three years. Love New Mexico - always wanted to live here since a kid. Considering that Rio Rancho is the third largest city in NM, with nearly 100k population, it needs to wake up a little to its potential. It can be more than a suburb of Albuquerque but doesn't know it.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:18 PM

23 posts, read 40,260 times
Currently in Santa Cruz, CA. California native but moved from Fresno, CA.

Pros:
-AMAZING ocean views
-Amazing weather
-Half an hour to San Jose - where you get all the bit city amenities
-Small town, easy to get around
-People are mostly nice
-Amazing hiking trails, nature, etc.

Cons:
-Cost of living is too high
-Super liberal
-A lot homeless people
-A lot of people smoke pot (could be a good thing if you like that)
-Schools aren't that great for kids

I don't know where I'd move. If I had all the money in the world, probably Santa Clara or SJ or somewhere closer to a bigger city. If it was based on my current salary, probably would like to experience something out of state. I don't regret living where I am but it's soo expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.