Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:45 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan keno View Post
Dearborn - already lost its identity, bigtime
San Diego to some degree
Why do you feel that San Diego is losing their identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
A part of me really wishes Birmingham loses its identity as a "truly southern city" and all the negative aspects that come with it. I would welcome any and all transplants, newcomers, etc with open arms.
That's about the strangest thing I've read in awhile. Krikey!

So you want to welcome more traffic, more crime, rising housing costs, worse schools, pollution, and more drugs?

Be careful what you wish for.

You can always move out of there, ya know.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,103,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan keno View Post
Dearborn - already lost its identity, bigtime
San Diego to some degree
How has Dearborn lost its identity?

Old 08-19-2017, 02:59 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Most places are these days. It's sad, but what are you gonna do? To most young people these days, regional identity isn't important. Now identity is founded on your politics and interests, and you can find people of all stripes in those regards anywhere.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:13 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
How has Dearborn lost its identity?
Probably means before the A-rabs arrived !

Old 08-21-2017, 04:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,397,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta was never really like other Southern cities. It's character has always been more like a beinger town, open to newcomers and the innovations that they brought. Whereas cities like New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston always had insular and firmly entrenched aristocracies, it was relatively easy for a moneyed arriviste to buy his way into Atlanta society. Even when I was attending HS in the early 70's most of the kids' families were from somewhere else.
Atlanta wasn't like the South despite the cultural makeup of it's white population (much more WASP than white ethnic Catholic) reflected the South's as a whole.

New Orleans was like the South despite being the one city where the cultural makeup of it's white population (more white ethnic Catholic than WASP) didn't reflect the South's as a whole.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
I think all major cities have to a degree. The demographic shifts are one contributor, but the biggest contributor is the large amount of yuppies moving into major cities (myself included). Cities and neighborhoods are now being designed to attract young professionals. Back in the day there weren't nearly as many college grads and young professionals living in the city.

My friend who grew up in NYC, always says "New York isn't New York anymore." I think a lot of the older cities like NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago- have lost some of their identities at least to some degree.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Dallas, Texas. It has everything that you would expect and want from a Top 10 city/metro---which is great---but it's just so Anywhere, USA these days that you could almost forget you are in Texas. Especially with all the out of state, non-Southern transplants (mostly Californians) rushing in non-stop.

At least when all the Californians and hipsters flocked to Austin and took it over, there were several major things already firmly in place there---like being the state capital, home of University of Texas, and the center of the Texas BBQ culture---that made it impossible to ignore and erase the fact that it's in Texas, no matter how many California hipsters who think Austin is "cooler than the rest of Texas" move there.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Dallas, Texas. It has everything that you would expect and want from a Top 10 city/metro---which is great---but it's just so Anywhere, USA these days that you could almost forget you are in Texas. Especially with all the out of state, non-Southern transplants (mostly Californians) rushing in non-stop.

At least when all the Californians and hipsters flocked to Austin and took it over, there were several major things already firmly in place there---like being the state capital, home of University of Texas, and the center of the Texas BBQ culture---that made it impossible to ignore and erase the fact that it's in Texas, no matter how many California hipsters who think Austin is "cooler than the rest of Texas" move there.
The thing about Dallas is that its identity has evolved. I wouldnt say its losing it because its identity was never that firmly entrenched anyway.

Dallas used to be the capital of the far right religious right. It used to be known as a city hostile to the government thanks to the JFK assassination. It used to be known as a city that was super hostile to minorities. It used to be known as a place that lacked political diversity where everyone was conservative.

Im not at all implying racism isnt there because it is, but its certainly not what it was, but I think Dallas has shed a lot of those characteristics and I think thats a good thing. Its now a major city thats very ethnically diverse, seems welcoming to anyone, and its not as overwhelmingly religious as it once was (though that element is still there to a lesser degree).

Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times
I would say cities evolve. Suburban kids move in to the cities for their 20's and early 30's its not the end of the world. How many cities say I wish it was like the 70's or 80's? I'm a yuppie guilty. I moved to Boston after growing up in the suburbs, how many would rather have the Whitey Bulger 90's era? There are actually probably more independent restaurants now than 20 years ago the independent restaurant scene has exploded, sure chains are there but what are you gonna do, people like them otherwise they wouldn't be there. It seems like everybody on this board loves "grit" and they're the baddest guy on the block.

Cities change their identity changes, they don't lose it, it just changes.

Last edited by The_General; 08-21-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.