Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The Midwest is not a homogenous region so it is impossible to make sweeping statements about what it's people are like. It depends on where you are. There are stereotypes about the it but they are wildly inaccurate for large swathes of the region.
there's definately a mark difference between the 2 regions. From my personal experience(s), completely different culture, mentality, attitude, environment, climate, and way of life.

I definately prefer the South over the Midwest.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
there's definately a mark difference between the 2 regions. From my personal experience(s), completely different culture, mentality, attitude, environment, climate, and way of life.

I definately prefer the South over the Midwest.....
Yeah. The Midwest is more diverse and more accepting. The South is Black and White, and recently, Hispanic. The Midwest has been an immigrant destination for decades/centuries, the South has not until recently. You don't have to be non-white to be culturally different....i.e. Polaks, Russians, Irish, Italians, etc. Even within the black community, there is more diversity in the Midwest.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah. The Midwest is more diverse and more accepting. The South is Black and White, and recently, Hispanic. The Midwest has been an immigrant destination for decades/centuries, the South has not until recently. You don't have to be non-white to be culturally different....i.e. Polaks, Russians, Irish, Italians, etc. Even within the black community, there is more diversity in the Midwest.
I disagree. The midwest was and is not diverse in many ways. The culture I observed was more racially segregated. That is the culture and mentality up there. Blacks that I knew often said they felt oppressed, and that was all that they ever knew.

The South is faaaaaar more diverse culturally, racially, socially, economically.....

Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 PM

What do you know? Put some stats up and back your words. I'd like to see how the South stacks up in terms of diversity. I'd be willing to bet big-time, that outside of black and white Americans (people who have been here for centuries), the Midwest is FAR more diverse. Prove me wrong.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
This should have a poll attached to it, and it should be in City VS City

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM

west:
Quote:
What do you know? Put some stats up and back your words. I'd like to see how the South stacks up in terms of diversity. I'd be willing to bet big-time, that outside of black and white Americans (people who have been here for centuries), the Midwest is FAR more diverse. Prove me wrong.

I know because I've lived in BOTH regions, west... that's why I stated from my experiences... That's what I experienced and observed.

The South is far more diverse....

Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Where? Iowa and Atlanta? Your word isn't going to get you far on C-D.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Where? Iowa and Atlanta? Your word isn't going to get you far on C-D.
I really don't care. Experiences are what counts. What I observed.

I've lived in St. Louis, and have been throughout the midwest. Live in Texas now. Been to Atlanta, Milwaukeee, Chicago (and other parts of IL) , Indianapolis (and in and around SE Indiana), Columbus, OH. The culture is quite different up there. More polarized/segregated. Less diverse. Not trying to offend. Just stating the truth.

Chicago, i found to be the most diverse, culturally, racially, etc. in the midwest, of all the places i've been up there. I've heard Chicagoans say there's a problem with segregation up there, as well.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I really don't care. Experiences are what counts. What I observed.

I've lived in St. Louis, and have been throughout the midwest. Live in Texas now. Been to Atlanta, Milwaukeee, Chicago (and other parts of IL) , Indianapolis (and in and around SE Indiana), Columbus, OH. The culture is quite different up there. More polarized/segregated. Less diverse. Not trying to offend. Just stating the truth.

Chicago, i found to be the most diverse, culturally, racially, etc. in the midwest, of all the places i've been up there. I've heard Chicagoans say there's a problem with segregation up there, as well.
The Midwest is segregated, for sure, but so is the South. What Southern area is as diverse or more than Chicago? If you exclude black and white (Americans, not immigrants), what do you have? The South is all "old country", while the Midwest has many immigrants. I guess Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas are diverse, but the TX cities are usually not associated with the South, and neither is Miami, for that matter. Depends what the criteria is, and depends if you consider white people to have any cultural diversity (I do, but if you aren't Polish maybe, you may not think so).

Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The Midwest is segregated, for sure, but so is the South. What Southern area is as diverse or more than Chicago?
If you exclude black and white (Americans, not immigrants), what do you have?
Asians, Middle Easterners, Hispanics, Africans, South Americans, Europeans....

Quote:
The South is all "old country", while the Midwest has many immigrants.

Have you been to the South, West336?

Quote:
I guess Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas are diverse, but the TX cities are usually not associated with the South, and neither is Miami, for that matter.
But they're still in the South. Just because people don't want to associate them, doesn't change their locale. These cities are very diverse.

Quote:
Depends what the criteria is, and depends if you consider white people to have any cultural diversity (I do, but if you aren't Polish maybe, you may not think so).
I do too. There is definately diversity within each race, West. But when the subject is diversity in general, it's just not just within the same race of people, but including other different races and nationalities.

What I saw and experienced, wasn't much diversity in the midwest. Particularly with those cities that I mentioned, with the exception of Chicago. I haven't been in the Twin Cities (would love to visit one day). So I don't know how things are way up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.