Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Exactly.

I personally think the selection process is truly only ramping up right now, as philly just hired McKinsey to represent them two days ago.

From an urban planning perspective, the Schuylkill Yards is an extremely exciting development. It fits perfectly into Amtrak's Master Station Redevelopment plans to create new revenue sources to pay for other system improvements.

Also Philadelphia's commuter rail system is awesome and can drop millions of people off at the doorstep of a glimmering new neighborhood of skyscrapers at discounted price compared to our near by neighbors, but still being only a couple of hours away.

https://twitter.com/SchuylkillYards/...09325304238086

SEPTA just got all new trains too (the only system in the USA that is 100% positive train controlled)

https://twitter.com/SEPTAPHILLY/stat...32635653423104

I agree. I think Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are in the top 5. And honestly it will be good for either city. Philadelphia has the 3rd largest commuter rail network in the USA. And will 100% benefit both cities in PA. My personal edge is to Philadelphia. But Pittsburgh is also in the top 5.

I think our C/D poll is SPOT ON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:23 PM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
No one really knows. I think most people's guess is mid - summer. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the 2 cities that are most ready to handle the growth, as they both are really only 2 that meet the requirements, yet have the infrastructure already in place in terms of transit, housing, institutions, culture, etc. Also mind you, these 50,000 jobs are not coming in 1 year. It is over a decade.

Pittsburgh needs jobs and so does Philadelphia. It would be an amazing thing for either region and PA
Yeah... guess I'm just a bit growth-conscious. So many people have moved into my county lately I can't get anywhere without a jam or some jerk from whatever state just ignoring our stop signs... but you can't stop the future.

But yeah, you're right. Pittsburgh needs to grow I guess. Can't stay withered forever.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Not so fast there Mr.

We have a case of overinflated DC votes.

In case you didn't notice, this poll (for whatever reason) lets you choose multiple cities. And by golly, 8 of the 10 people who voted for Montgomery County ALSO voted for NOVA and DC. So, let's bring it back down to reality.

8 people voted for all three DC area sites. So I took their 24 votes away and gave back 8 so each poster gets one vote.

3 people voted for 2 out of the three. So I took away their 6 votes and gave back 3.

So, you have 63 total votes - 30 multiple votes + 11 adjusted votes = 44 net votes. Which puts all three DC area locations, cumulatively, still behind Atlanta and Chicago.

Not that any of this remotely matters of course, but it was a good reminder that I still know basic math!
Some good points. I only voted once, but I can understand how the multiple votes options could skew the results.

And I'll take Atlanta as the preeminent #1!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
HQ can EASILY MOVE. Do you think moving WF headquarters would be a first in the nation, once a company acquires another. Not at all. Your rational on Austin is lacking to be frank. WF was a strategic move to figure out how to grow its logistics networks, especially in terms of fresh deliverables. Austin provides few benefits to be frank.

I mean you are a CMU grad. Do you think a WF headquarters plays more importance than being tied to the top Robotics University in the nation where you are attempting to launch this: An entire DRONE (robot) delivery service.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU

Amazon has been sponsoring CMU projects for several years. To recognize Austin over Pittsburgh is foolish.
Don't patronize me.

Austin is a high tech mecca, along with Silicon Valley and Boston. There is a large campus for google, apple, facebook, twitter, and the dating app bumble was started here among other things.

We have a giant university (UT). We are a hub for millennials. If you build it, they will come.

Listen, I like CMU and Pittsburgh but it's hard to keep people in Pittsburgh, let's be honest. With the brutal winters and airport with few direct connections (down from it's grandeur as a US Air hub, nice airport though so it can expand), Pittsburgh is not a "shoe in" by no means. There is a nice housing stock skeleton (the bones are there) but many of the homes are rundown and would require substantial improvement. Also, many of the row homes are in very undesirable locations. Let's be real here. Now I think gentrification would occur in many of those areas but it would take some time and families will probably not risk it, many settling in Monroeville or one of those suburbs.

Also public transportation is a bit lacking. There were some bus routes from CMU to downtown but the "subway" if you call it that was very under developed. It's just not in the league of the Northeast cities and I think even Dallas with DART and Atlanta with MARTA is much better, to be honest.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:07 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
More momentum for Atlanta.

Quote:
Survey: Atlanta #1 pick to land Amazon's $5 billion HQ2 by college students

Tomorrow's workforce, the lifeblood of corporations, also has its collective fingers crossed that the Big A lands Amazon's 8 million square-foot project and the 50,000 jobs it will generate over two decades.

Of the 20 cities that Amazon shortlisted for HQ2, Atlanta was the No. 1 choice of college students surveyed (11.9 percent), followed by a tie between Chicago and New York City (11.2 percent for each), Boston (10.4 percent), and then Austin (8.8 percent), according to a survey by New York City-based WayUP.

The college career platform surveyed 672 college students to see which city they want Amazon to build HQ2, based on where they hope to work after graduating. The survey included freshmen and sophomores from 410 universities, including Arizona State University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New York University, Penn State and University of California Irvine.

For Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN), site selection will be driven primarily by the need to find innovative cities in which its talent wants to live, work and play.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...5-billion.html

Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 AM

515 posts, read 558,175 times
My sources say the winner of the Super Bowl gets HQ2.....
Looks like it's gonna be Boston after all!

Seriously tho, I think its between D.C., Atlanta and Boston.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Default No Gay? No Way

This activist group is asking Amazon to avoid the cities on the list that are located in states that currently have no legal protections against firing someone, denying them housing or refusing them service because they are LGBTQ. The cities include:

Atlanta
Austin
Columbus
Dallas
Indianapolis
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
NOVA
Miami

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...arters-n843736

Of course, to be fair, many of these cities do offer local protections for LGBT people. But to be equally fair, not all 50,000 of Amazon's employees will live in the core city. It will be interesting what, if anything, comes of this but everything points to this group making a BIG stink about it. Who knows, maybe it will push some of the more moderate states like PA, VA and OH to revisit their laws and makes some changes for the better. Of course, what's good for the goose isn't necessarily what's good for the gander when you have such a stark urban/rural divide when it comes to politics and economics.

I can tell you that I know quite a few LGBT people who work for Amazon in Seattle, and it's well-known Amazon is quite proud of its track record with the LGBT community. They earned a perfect score on the HRC Corporate Equality Index, which I have a hard time imagining they would maintain by locating to one of these cities knowing the lack of protections in place. This may be an important consideration in their decision especially if the issue becomes more magnified.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:45 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
I forgot to add Raleigh to that list. ^^ I would also add, as I should have in my original post, that it's not just about the 50k Amazon employees and their families. What the movement is really criticizing is the message Amazon would send to the country by investing billions of dollars in a state that does not have the best interests of the LGBT community as a whole at heart. While the RFP doesn't specifically address the LGBT issue, it does request “a compatible cultural and community environment” that includes “the presence and support of a diverse population.” That, presumably, would include support at the state level as well as the local level.

There was evidently a demonstration yesterday outside Amazon's Seattle headquarters.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
The new brains behind the Spheres at Amazon in Seattle have a strong Raleigh and NC State connection. Amazon HQ Spheres: Raleigh horticulturist manages*Seattle facility | News & Observer

Old 02-02-2018, 10:48 AM

85 posts, read 92,019 times
Does Amazon’s Super Bowl Ad Prove That HQ2 Is Coming To Austin?
Probably not! But let’s read way too much into it anyway.

New Ad says Alexa what's the temperture in Austin?
This was from Texas Monthly.

washttps://youtu.be/J6-8DQALGt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.